A genuine World wrestling championship?

MojoPogo

Just looking for opinions, realistically this could never happen, but i want to see what peoples thoughts are regarding the matter. What if there was a "true" World title, where the best talent from all the feds came together in a tournament (we can discuss how this would work also) to decide a true, undisputed champion, per se The Man? If we ignore the logistics, would this be a good thing, in that finally, we'd have a genuine champion or would it just be window dressing and a fuel for already enormous egos?

If so, what would we call it? And how would any tournament work?

A world cup of wrestling?-the concept sounds very good. Who wouldnt want to see WWE superstars take on wrestlers fom other wrestling feds?

It would have to take a hell of a lot of organisation, and co-operation from all the promoters. I would love to see it happen, but unfortunately it never will. :(

Tell me about it. But imagine if it did! Samoa Joe vs Brock??? Or Angle, Kobashi v Styles!!! Fan-bleeding tastic! I'd call it Battleground myself, but im sure someone could come up with something more imaginative, and maybe there would need to be an out and out belt for different weight classed, cos realistically, its not fair to expect the cruisers to unseat the super heavys.

How about every four years a different company takes creative control of the whole thing. The main problem with this is obviously most companies would want one of their fighters to win but meh... it's sort of acceptable as it would constantly change. So are we talking like a King of the Ring competition, a Royal Rumble or what ?

In the early 1980's you used to get the NWA champion vs the WWF champion and sometimes even the AWA champ,however the problem with that was that nobody gave a toss about the NWA in New York and the same with the WWF in Charlotte.With those matches you would get either a thirty minute draw,a DQ or a countout, for a "Wrestling World Cup" you wouldn't be able to include the WWE as i don't think they have good working relationships with other major companys.So you could possibly have TNA,NJPW and possibly a few others.

Yeah, i did make that clear that its not going to happen, i was more looking for ideas on how IF it were possible to make it work! Everyone KNOWS the invasion/ECW angles sucked, but they werent booked properly, and lets face it, everyone thinks they can book better than the wwe, (not hard probably) so i was giving people an opportunity to see if they could! Theoretically this would be blast if done properly!

In reference to the posts about AWA, NWA, and WWF/E champs facing one another, I must say the correlation between the major feds is a terrible loss. Back in the day, the owners and bookers in each federation did, in fact, vote on who would be champion in each promotion. It was a board of big shots voting on who should represent the business. So, in essence this sort of thing suggested happened. However, when the champions all met, the double DQs and Count-Outs that usually happened at these bouts you could take as a way of saying the three big champs of each fed were the best of the best.

In reference to the posts about AWA' date=' NWA, and WWF/E champs facing one another, I must say the correlation between the major feds is a terrible loss. [b']Back in the day, the owners and bookers in each federation did, in fact, vote on who would be champion in each promotion.[/b] It was a board of big shots voting on who should represent the business. So, in essence this sort of thing suggested happened. However, when the champions all met, the double DQs and Count-Outs that usually happened at these bouts you could take as a way of saying the three big champs of each fed were the best of the best.

I'm pretty sure that was just in the NWA as in the WWF you only needed to be chosen by Vince and in the AWA by Vernge Gagne where as in the NWA there were 9 (i think) board members who had to elect you in and one of which was Vince Mcmahon snr.:xyx

It would be a true wrestling fans dream and a wrestling promoters nightmare. I would love to see it happen. But the WWE IMO wouldnt participate in it though. I would love to see it. Plus the love and the respect for pro wrestling clearly isnt the same as it was back in the 1980's. Back when you had more major wrestling promtions that had no problems with inter-promotional wrestling events.

Back when every single promotion(except for the WWE/WWWF) recognized Ric Flair as the NWA World champion even when they had their own version of the World championship. That was respect. Now that the WWE is biggest and most known of them all I seriously doubt Vincent Kennedy McMahon would take the risk of having alot of his primetime players getting injured in such an event. Personally I would love to see this kind of tournament happen. :thumbsup