The Catholic Church: Q & A

The Godfather

Okay. Since I have been a member of this board, a lot of negative feelings towards the Catholic Church have been expressed. I don't disapprove of voicing your opinions, but I do like to defend the Church that I am so devoutly a part of.

That being said, I wanted to try this out. Any of you go ahead and post a question that bothers you about the Roman Catholic Church. In response, I will attempt to answer and explain your question. Keep in mind, I don't mean this to argumentative, but rather more educational. It just seems a lot of what the Church is about is overlooked with current events as they are, and people forget of the strict church doctrine.

And.........go.

• Like 1

Priests cannot have wives as they are chosen they have only one love in life and that is of God a wife would be a distraction from the faith an obsticle. As for the little boys thing thats every faith not just catholics so not specifically relevant.

xXx

On the pedophelia, it is believed that many people with this sort of interest in younger children see the priesthood as a prime place to carry out their actions. So, through deceit, many of these sickos become priests and defile young children. It should also be noted that the American media has focused soley on the Catholic Church's problems and not of the many protestant practices that have experienced the same problems. Now that the problem has presented itself so, the priests in America are scrambling to quell these happenings with extensive reform on entry into the priesthood. One such extent has been the counseling of homosexual people to live a moral life, devoid of their sexual tendencies.

As for priest marriage. As was laid down by Clement I, I believe, it was put into doctrine that priests were not to marry. The reason being that, according to the oaths and sacraments involved with being a priest, it would be impossible to support a family. The oaths the priests take state that they devote their lives and work to nobody to the Lord. You can see how having a family would make that oath null-and-void. Also, priests take a vow of poverty and are only supplied with a meager amount of money for clothes and such. The rest that goes to the church comes from donation and partly from the Vatican. With so little money, it wouldn't be right for priest to have a family he couldn't care for.

Abstinence in the priesthood. Well, since it is state in Catholic doctrine that sex is intended solely for reproduction and NOT pleasure, priests remain celebate so as not to start a family. I have explained that above. Abstinence is also required to develop moral standing. Being able to restrain oneself and devout yourself to the religion is a sign of true dedication.

What's the catholic churches view on Lucky Charms?

Well, actually, they are not widely accepted. Such things as luck and fate are not accepted in the Christian religions.

The only factors in you 'luck' here on earth are God, Himself, and the free-will he has bestowed upon. Basically, only you and God can determine your future.

Do Roman Catholics believe in Father Christmas? (the fat dude in red who delivers gifts) if not' date=' why not?[/quote']

Okay. Good question for the season.

First off, Saint Nicholas, the man on which Santa Claus is based upon, is a true person. He was a man ordained a priest by the Eastern Orthodox Church that split with the Roman Catholic Church a very long time ago. The legend goes that Saint Nicholas would roam the streets of Russian towns on Christmans Eve and leave gold, food, and other small gifts on the steps of the struggling families. Word of this man spread around Europe and he became accepted by the masses, even the Catholic followers. However, Saint Nicholas is not considered a saint in the Catholic faith, yet. He may be some day. The Catholic Church has no real stance on Santa Claus.

I'd be surprised if I get an honest answer on my question, but since it is Father Ted-inspired, how do catholics such as yourself view the portrayal of the religion on that show?

EDIT: Oh cool, I got one. I was however referring to the breakfast cereal :( (hence the reference)

I am not familiar with the show you are talking about.

I just noticed you're in America. Shame you haven't been exposed to the show, I think you'd find it interesting. It's an irish comedy following three priests sent to live in a Parochial (sp?) house on Craggy Island. It shows stupid priests, drunk priests, and all sorts of insanity. If you can get ahold of it in anyway, I would strongly recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted

South Park-inspried question, but they often raise good points for the sole purpose of taking them in a silly direction.

Is it possible for a person who is mentally-challenged (and therefore unable to ask for the firgiveness of their sins,) to go to heaven?

I just noticed you're in America. Shame you haven't been exposed to the show, I think you'd find it interesting. It's an irish comedy following three priests sent to live in a Parochial (sp?) house on Craggy Island. It shows stupid priests, drunk priests, and all sorts of insanity. If you can get ahold of it in anyway, I would strongly recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ted

Actually, that show has been aired in America. At least it has where I live. It comes on sometimes on the local channels, and frequently on BBC America. (Yes, BBC America) I haven't seen it in a couple of months, but what I saw, I liked.

I think its a bad subject debating about people have there own believe in whatever religion and i just respect them for having there religion and there believe and dont care or try and CONVERT people into religions just let people educate themselves and decide which path they wanna take

I can think of a slip up in every religion so far

1 the bible chapter 1 Adam and Eve had two kids which was Kane and Able, then it skips to chapter2 and the world is populated and theres a flood that wipes them out, but where did the people come from in the first place if they had only 2 sons?

And ive asked this question a million times and got the same answer, "that they were just there" or "god made more" etc....

The quran or whatever it is, says all non believers go to hell (or should i say they call it the flames) even if there not even or done anything wrong in there whole entire life, and i know about this for definet because i work with an qualifyed muslim priest and he's told me all about that religion, when you die you have 10 virgin women in glass cages waiting for you etc.... WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSH*T, what happens to the wifes when they die? = no replie

I can go on all night and contridict many storys from each religion

So i just say alot of religions are all just one thats been alterted through the years by different groups

Or its just a good Novel somebody wrote and people think its real

Or there all real and im going to hell (the flames)

But everybody has there own believes and they should be respected

Do Catholics consider homosexuality to be a sin? Sex is for reproduction only, gay sex doesn't work therefore surely it's a sin and all gays are going directly to hell.

If Catholics only have sex for reprodutction purposes does that mean if you see a Catholic with one kid, he's only had sex once in his entire life? If so are they allowed to masturbate and if not does the church provide wheelbarrows to carry their testicles around in?

Do you think that some people put so much faith in religion because they have no faith in themselves?

As another Roman Catholic on the board might as well wade in too, since I have to admit this place as always struck me as if not just anti-Catholic then anti-Religion in general :P

To go back to the Father Ted thing, I think most people in the Catholic church would find it funny to be honest, I mean at the end of the day it is just playful humour rather than an out and out attack on Catholicism. I ****in love that show!

As for the other questions, guess I'll leave them to be answered by the expert here but yeh Homosexuality is considered to be a sin by Catholics. Nobody is damned though in the Catholic church, that sounds more like Calvanism and Protestantism to me, everybody gets a chance at forgiveness and a gay person could technically get into heaven if they repent, otherwise well, they assuming our religion is the right one in the end, are going straight to that nice warm place called hell. At the same time though they are going there just as much as any excessive drunkard, adulterer or any other excessive sinner I'm sure.

You're not supposed to have sex just for pleasure indeed and I guess a large number of Catholics still don't outside of serious relationships, I would put myself in that boring category to be honest. Still really worried about the masturbation being frowned upon thing though, nothing quite like a guilty ****.

And no, I think most people do follow a religion because it gives them something to fall back on when they come to a hard stage in their life. I think if I didn't believe in God then I honestly would probably feel a little empty. Don't think its because I have no faith in myself but it just gives you a sense of meaning in life I reckon rather than just following the lines of Mr. Tyler Durden that we are not special and are just the all singing all dancing crap of the world. You have to admit that if that was true it would kinda suck balls!

To go back to the Father Ted thing' date=' I think most people in the Catholic church would find it funny to be honest, I mean at the end of the day it is just playful humour rather than an out and out attack on Catholicism. I ****in love that show![/quote']

I see you've never watched the directors commentary, lol. They are not the churches biggest fans. But then if catholics can see the humerous side, then that's cool. I only ask because my mom has an Irish mate who lives over here - the most typically Irish person you could ever meet - a christian - and she loves the show, and brought her kids up on it too. It's good to see light-heartedness amongst certain religions.

And I don't think the board is anti-religious as such. It's just certain viewpoints and different lifestyles clashing like two incoming lorries rather than waiting at the lights and going when ready. It comes off as a bigger clash than it is. I myself am currently studying the idea of LaVeyan Satanism and it both amuses and attracts me, but I like this kind of thread to educate people AS LONG AS we don't segregate it to just catholism. I think we could benefit from knowledge of other cultures and religions too, without clashing (which won't happen - people get too defensive).

Um... what? If that was an attempt at humour it either went over my head or just plain wasn't funny?

Also, answering an early point earlier, I honestly don't think you're supposed to believe that Adam and Eve really existed, if you look at it at the end of the day the Old Testament is full of just metaphorical stories and morals. I mean I think I won't be going to hell for saying that the Old Testament does have morals that we should follow in it but that a lot of it is not quite what our good man Big J, Jesus Christ would want us to follow strictly.

Indeed that is why jews are the silly people that they are :)

Um... what? If that was an attempt at humour it either went over my head or just plain wasn't funny?

Also, answering an early point earlier, I honestly don't think you're supposed to believe that Adam and Eve really existed, if you look at it at the end of the day the Old Testament is full of just metaphorical stories and morals. I mean I think I won't be going to hell for saying that the Old Testament does have morals that we should follow in it but that a lot of it is not quite what our good man Big J, Jesus Christ would want us to follow strictly.

Indeed that is why jews are the silly people that they are :)

Yep, the old testament is basically just metaphorical stories. Adam and Eve show us that God cares against us, but its man thats made the world go ****, not him. Eating the fruit made us know right and wrong, and we chose to take the wrong path. The story of the creation of the world shows that everything was planned, and was once perfect.