Underrated games?

MojoPogo

What games have you played, and found to be really good, except they either never sold well (for whatever reason) or they were very hard to get hold of (limited release)? The subject popped into my mind after playing Ico, which in my mind is one of the most original, atmospheric, well-plotted games ever made.

Here's a few more i rate, but didnt sell......

1. Beyond Good and Evil.

2. Star Ocean 2

3. Suikoden 4 (and 1 and 2 for that matter)

4. Outrun 2 (basic, arcadey, but so, so good!)

5. Kingdom Hearts.

6. Blast Corps

7. Namco Smash Court Tennis.

8. Ico

9. Castlevania Symphony of the Night

10. Illusion of Time

Any others to add? Im always looking to get hold of games like this....

I think FF8 is underated' date=' many people praise FF7, but i believe FF8 was the better game. I liked Zell in particular.[/quote']

FF8 was good, but FF7 was far superior. It's fact, FF7 has owned RPG's since it came out, the only ones close have been Suikoden II and FF10.

PS2 Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.

Most PS2 fans are "Tekken is the greatest fighter, because it's Sony, everything else is bad", so the game gets over-looked - the VF gameplay requires actual skill rather than button mashing, so the learning curve for the higher difficulties means more work, so it's "ignored".

It's a fantastic looking game as well, but ask most PS2 owners will go "what?" when you mention it.

PS2 Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.

Most PS2 fans are "Tekken is the greatest fighter, because it's Sony, everything else is bad", so the game gets over-looked - the VF gameplay requires actual skill rather than button mashing, so the learning curve for the higher difficulties means more work, so it's "ignored".

It's a fantastic looking game as well, but ask most PS2 owners will go "what?" when you mention it.

Mr Fill, i salute you! VF is the fighting game of champions!

Fahrenhiet, Just when you think the originality well is running dry this comes along.

Beyond Good and Evil., Stylish and I am about to get fully into it once I complete Resident Evil 4.

Ico (Being re-released in Febuary alongside Shadow Of the Collosus so there is a chance to redeem yourself!!!)

Suikoden 4 was a disappointment' date=' I used to own 1 and 2, know anywhere I can get them?[/quote']

When in doubt, eBay is the place: http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=suikoden&category0=

And FF8 underrated? bah gawd FF games are SO OVERrated in my opinion! :P

I think:

The Getaway

The Getaway: Black Monday

Legends of Wrestling 1,2, SHOWDOWN. they sold quite good, but many didn't seem to like.

Just those for now...

Kingdom Hearts is definately underrated. Mind you when my friend said there's this well good game out called Kingdom Hearts, it's got Disney characters in, I thought he was having a laugh. But when I played it, I really enjoyed it and it had a great storyline, even if Donald and Goofy follow you round all the time.

When in doubt, eBay is the place: http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=suikoden&category0=

And FF8 underrated? bah gawd FF games are SO OVERrated in my opinion! :P

I think:

The Getaway

The Getaway: Black Monday

Legends of Wrestling 1,2, SHOWDOWN. they sold quite good, but many didn't seem to like.

Just those for now...

I love the LOW games, personally. I got so mad when my PS2 stopped playing the disks with blue undersides, that I went out and purchased the same game (LOW I) on Xbox :thumbsup

Plus I just bought LOW II AGAIN ( !! ) for Xbox (originally owned on PS2), purely because of the slight graphical and major slowdown improvements. Sad, but, meh, I love those games..

Showdown can go to Hell though, damn glitchfest, and they practically ditched the ISP! B*stards

Other underrated games.. Well I always had a personal place in my games cabinet/box/random cluttered corner of room for my largish collection of Mega Drive games, some of which are lost in my attic 'cause the box tipped upside down up there, and I have practically no attic floor :P . Games such as Urban Strike, Starflight, Beavis and Butthead, Aladdin, Lion King (:worship ). Everyone I ask thinks most of those are crap, but imo they're classics in their own way. :thumbsup

Browken Sword.

Can't agree more... I'm such a sap for the good ol' point and click games... the Broken Sword series, Monkey Island, and Discworld series. I loved them all (Noir was a bit dodgy but still reeked Pratchett goodness) ! All are underrated by todays gamers who are all looking for the big fancy affects and huge combos ! These games make ye' use your brain, good times... good times ! !

• 2 weeks later...
Can't agree more... I'm such a sap for the good ol' point and click games... the Broken Sword series' date=' Monkey Island, and Discworld series. I loved them all (Noir was a bit dodgy but still reeked Pratchett goodness) ! All are underrated by todays gamers who are all looking for the big fancy affects and huge combos ! These games make ye' use your brain, good times... good times ! ![/quote']

Haven't played Monkey Island, and I'm looking for a few Discworld games too [Played Noir, freakin' loved it and it broke me in to the Discworld thing entirely]. I went off Broken Sword slightly when they changed from Point and Click.

Underrated game S.W.A.T [i think it was S.W.A.T 1 not too sure though] Is was more of a point and click game but cool nonetheless.

By the way, Fahrenheit isn't all that underrated since it was given rave reviews. [Or so I heard].

And finally a game that I'm pretty sure you've never heard about, it's called Torin's Passage, another point and click game, pretty cool [Except for the fact that you can skip levels with ease if you wish to be a cheaty pants :lol]