What would you do to improve the UK Scene?

Saz

Proper funding at a company level, a sustained marketing campaign and promotion, higher standards of wrestling (not that there arent some very very good wrestlers - there just arent a lot of them). A TV production company that doesnt see wrestling as a joke, but as a legitimate interest with the potential to draw both viewers and revenue.

I agree with carolann more must be done with pomotion and a lot more t v covarge if it wasn't for furoms like this i don't think i would ever of found out about mpw and war witch are my two local promotions i go to mpw on a regular basis and the shows they put on are fantastic the only problem are crowds.more promo work is a must but for smaller companies this can work out to expencive ,the internet is a good tool for this but not everybody has internet acess.as a fan i try to tell friends in my area all about the local stuff but can't tell everyone.

WE NEED HELP IN A BIG WAY.

Stop workers posting in character on public forums. An old and now distant friend once told me it looked stupid and at the time I'll admit I ignored her and carried on. Now, looking at some posts I see what she meant and fully agree with her.

~Cherry, xxx

I think it's trying to copy the American scene too much' date=' also I wish some promotors would stop filling cards with Americans to so much of a extent that it out numbers the british wrestlers.[/quote']

BUT.........

if a promoter uses a lot of US talent then more casual fans will be drawn in. For example 1PW, no way would I have gone if it wasnt for the US names on there (well, I would have done but Gemma wouldnt have come with me). Now that shopw exposed a LOT of people to UK talent, Gemma is now a Spud mark and cant wait to see him again. If he was at a show in the UK that we could get to then we would.

I imagin a LOT of casual fans would be the same. As long as people realise that its not a UK show, but a show in the UK then its all cool.

BUT.........

if a promoter uses a lot of US talent then more casual fans will be drawn in. For example 1PW, no way would I have gone if it wasnt for the US names on there (well, I would have done but Gemma wouldnt have come with me). Now that shopw exposed a LOT of people to UK talent, Gemma is now a Spud mark and cant wait to see him again. If he was at a show in the UK that we could get to then we would.

I imagin a LOT of casual fans would be the same. As long as people realise that its not a UK show, but a show in the UK then its all cool.

I can understand that, my problem isn't about using US talent, it just annoys me sometimes the way some cards are over filled with US talent. Take 1PW's January 6th show, looking at the card there are about 5 British wrestlers and 21 non British wrestlers and in my mind that is not right.

No, they won't, because 1PW is using all of 5 regular UK workers and three of them are already well-known by the majority of the 1PW fanbase (smarks), with Spud catching up.

The fact that Abyss killed Spud during A Cruel Twist Of Fate tells me everything I need to know about 1PW as far as UK wrestling. He's not building a promotion to become big. He's building it to be able to tell his kids that he booked loads of matches that he wanted to see, cas he could somewhat afford it.

And quite frankly, I don't think they will afford it for much longer.

But what about those who dont know them? Ive never seen Doug Williams and co before...I dont have TWC and had never wanted to go a distance to see them. Now I would do.

So 1PW have made me get more into the UK scene.

Yeah, I cant see them going much longer with thsi ammount of US talent, but its a good way to get noticed. Guess we will see.

I saw Doug Williams in Dudley and the guy really didn't want to know, never got out of first gear.

I saw Robbie Brookside do the same show with as much intensity as he did at FCW's show last year, no offence to FCW, this town hall show was a larger affair, but Brookside works for the love of wrestling, not make an appearance if the money is small.

We do have a premiership status in Wrestling, but it is true that, unless we begin to make slicker shows with likable talent then we are stuffed.

And Darky, Gemma came cos I bought her a ticket mate:)

I personally am trying to take my head from up my own arse and looking at the bigger picture. UK Scene gives too much credit to the Americans, when really they are on our soil, they work for us and they can job to British talent, if not, they don't get paid.

I'll be repeating myself, but please do carry on, this discussion is great:)

Saz

And Darky, Gemma came cos I bought her a ticket mate:)

Lol, thats true enough. But she wouldnt have came at anyway if it wasnt for knowing some of the guys on it (even if only from me spouting on about them).

thanks for those tickets by the way, made my month.

• 3 months later...

What they need to do is move away from the "pantomime" style shows that tour the UK (Such as All Star) I went to the Aldershot show last week and I was embarrased for the wrestlers (which included Gangrel, Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, Jody Fleish, Hade Vansen, Luna, Nikita and a OVW developmental product Chris someone) In previous shows I've seen Burchill and Robbie Brookside too.

The talent deserves so much better. For starters they were wrestling in a shaky converted boxing ring (with corner pads - not turnbuckles) which was moving all over the floor. Obviously the risk of injury increases in this environment so high fliers are essentially grounded. My major problem is the fact that it's presented as a kiddies show - with the MC "The louder you cheer, the harder they fight" being a main source of annoyance for the likes of us who want to see what the UK boys have got - most wrestling fans are up on their subject and just want to see the workers close up. The benefit of a 200 seat arena is that you see everything. Also why only WWE merchandise and tapes, surely FWA could allow some kind of deal to sell their tapes (imagine seeing Storm and Fleish in person and being able to buy a video of them in action - or a T-Shirt) I've seen FWA and it's impressive.

The attitude needs to change - Wrestlers should be respected, theirs is a tough and skilled profession and I for one believe that is not successfuly being conveyed. My friends and I were cringing for most of the show, we felt embarassed for the talented guys out there.

Having said that, there were positives, Jonny Storm and Jody Fleish had an excellent match, featuring a move by Fleish where he ran to the floor chasing Storm, Storm dodged and Fleish kicked and ran up the wall and flipped 6-7 feet off it landing behind Storm - that was seriously impressive!

Also Nikita was on the card and having only seen her in WOW magazine I can say that she is insanely hot in person!

Mike

Just a couple of comments on that last post.

There's a reason that people work for All-Star and do the pantomine shows, simply because in the wrestling world Dixon's shows are still seen within the industry as a measuring stick of wrestler quality.

You have to ask yourself why decent quality wrestlers work for All-star, the answer is to work with Quality wrestlers and to learn something from seasoned professionals.

High flying isn't everything, especially once it has been done once, and it is perhaps that perception of what makes a good wrestling match that has tarnished the solid style of British wrestling.

Wrestling is children's entertainment.

I think I know that "boxing ring" you were talking about and I have used it many a time, in fact it is one of the safest rings I know.

Saz

I think I know that "boxing ring" you were talking about and I have used it many a time, in fact it is one of the safest rings I know.

Saz

Thanks for the counterpoint. I wasn't casting doubts on the quality of the wrestlers at the All Star shows - the fact there are wrestlers of the calibre of Jody Fleish and Jonny Storm, Burchill etc bears this out. I just think more polished presentation and emphasis on wrestling (high flying or otherwise) would be helpful. I enjoy good solid mat warefare (like Angle V Benoit for example) as much as the "Lucha Libre" style. As for the ring you sound more qualified than I, but it didn't look all that safe!!

Y'know I really like this board because people actually have intellegent arguments and comments and don't resort to flaming others.

Mike

Edited by Da Showstoppa

im not sure that there is much you can do to improve british wrestling, 8 wrestling fans out of 10 only watch WWE, and the market for american indy style wrestling is very small. for me british wrestling needs more characters and big men. when the average wrestling punter comes to a wrestling show they are entertained by characters and they believe that big men can rough them up legit. whilst a match with plenty of dives and flips is great it is done way too much nowadays.

now get me wrong i love that style but i get equally as entertained by watching Saint, Rocco and modern practicers such as McGuinness and Cabana do their thing. the answer i think is to find your own hardcore fan base and keep building. from what ive seen promotion such as SWA and 3CW have taken this attitude and are thriving because of it.

what i would like to see is all the small promotions keep there local teritory and an overall promotion that can get the tv deal and the air time.

so if in cov they use mpw on there shows as well as a core roster and if in middleborough they use 3cw.

that way more wrestlers get tv time. one promotion casn push for wrestling to be on the big time. also the small promotiuons survive and they have tv stars to promote.

• 3 weeks later...

I have given this some thought and maybe British wrestling is targeted at the wrong audience? Watching 'world of sport' on TWC I can see the average age of the audience there is ancient! Where as the american's can pull of this macho-fake aggression crap, we brits seem to enjoy a more 'healthy competition' approach.

Wrestling in this country is targeted at a primarily young audience and is mirrored on the US product. Maybe to improve things (albeit initially) there needs to be a shift in the target audience to an older generation and to create a diffinitive British Wrestling product that caters for this based on competition and not mindless aggression??????????????????????

the point of targetting audiences is a great idea but the issue i have is i know 2 venues both social clubs one where the kids are the 40 year olds. the other has the oldies at 40.

bums on seats the second club, the pensioners wont come anymore they dont like wwe and believe taht is what they see.

if i was told to get a venue and fill it the first question i would ask is the average age in the club. how many children there are. its the kids that fill halls now. to survive wrestling has to adapt to the audience.

on characters.

i agree with the post by fanboy.

smarks and marks like spot monkeys.

wrestlers like technical guys.

the fans seem to like big men knocking lumps out of each other.