British Representitives?

GENE

http://img1.imageshack.us/thumbnail.png

Will there? Will there ever be a Brit like The Dynamite Kid Or The British Bulldog to be pretty much a household name in the wrestling industry? I ask this as last night i had a dream of me and one of my pals walking down the ramp at the Tokyo dome wearing kilts and waving the Soltire,and i was seemigly telling my pal about this being the crowning moment of our career as we were headlineing a Tokyo Dome Show.

I can quite honestly say that in terms of wrestling in Britain that the early to mid 1980's were a golden age as we had World of Sport on ITV on a prime spot on Saturday afternoons and it got good ratings,whilist we had The Dynamite Kid wrestling classics in The Orient against Tiger Mask & The Cobra,we also had Fit Finnaly and Davey Boy becoming Stars in their own right as well.

Now jump forward 20 years to 2005 and looking back i can say that for the most part the 90's were pretty much crap for The Brit's in America,apart from Davey Boy going on quite a good run in the WWF then WCW then back to the WWF what else happened? Giant Haystacks went to WCW and became "Loch Ness",William Regal went from looking promising in the AWA to a WCW mid card, and has had the same sterotypical image of a posh snob for about 10 years(Bar a brief run as "Steven Regal" a real man's man.)We had quite possibly the "biggest" legend in British wrestling Big Daddy die,The Dynamite Kid became a cripple and wrestling in Britain seemed at alow.

However over the last few years we have been making a resurgence of some sort with guys like :

Doug Williams

http://img439.imageshack.us/img439/6122/doug9ao.th.jpg

This man to the best of my knowledge is the first Brit to have one a major title in Japan since Dynamite Kid back in the 1980's when he won the GHC tag team titles with Scorpio.To be honest i really think Doug is good in th ring as to become good in both Japan & Roh you need to be good on the mat which i think Doug is and he has a finisher which is unique and looks devastating.Not only is Doug the first Brit to win a title in Japan since Dynamite, but he is also the first to hold a title in America that means anything since The Bulldog in 1997 when he won the ROH Pure Title in 2004.

Nigel Mguiness

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/3029/nigel8bl.th.jpg

I might not have seen to much of Doug Williams but this guy i have seen alot of,he is quite possibly the best Brit in ring wise there is today although he looks abit stupid with the gelled up hair with black roots coming through.I remember when Colt Cabana was taking the piss out of Nigels accent and his facial expressions ( what were you thinking :P ) were shear brilliant, i will admit that he isn't the best on the mic but in wrestling companys you don't need to have great mic skills,but most importantly he is one of the ten best in the ring in North America in my opinion

Burchill

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9427/burchill0jd.th.jpg

I know this thread will kind of be pointless as this guy will win hands down but i have to include him.Burchill,the British Smarks love him and loathe the WWE for restricting his move set down to your average mid carders,i will admitt i have seen jack **** of this guy but surley sticking him in a sterotypical English tag team isn't the way to go is it?

Jonny Storm

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/4420/woinderkid8sj.th.jpg

I have some pals who like this guy,but sadly i know nothing about the guy so Devilish Angel if you want to edit this and write about Jonny please feel free :)

I know the thread is pretty crappy but it makes a difference to the same old TNA vs WWE stuff.:)

• Like 1

actually it's not that crap. Another UK basied Wrestler which has been popular over seas is Jody Fleish. He has had some great matches in ROH, I believe he has made an appearance in TNA as well being in CZW and other promotions ranging from IWW wrestling and japan.

Also i believe that the future of British Wrestling could be in good shape with talent coming out of locale promotions around the land

Dynamite was one of a kind really...

Only things that have ever come close are Benoit and Danielson and thats because he has a little part in training them both...

As for Johnny Storm? He's good but not great. Birchill was a spot machine and a killer over here but the WWE won't let a mid card medium sized guy bust out alot of pretty moves that drop people on their heads after all...

The return of Jody Fleish is a welcome one and the two lit up Zero One last month with some great matches that played on their past confrontations and what Storm has added to his game since and what Fleish is limited to due to his serious hand injury that kept him out for ages...

As far as recognition? In the US Birchill is the best bet as Williams won't go anywhere near the WWE at all...

In Japan both McGuiness and Williams are doing well and soon I look forward to Akiyama getting the NOAH blet and having a nice defense against Britains finest...

But no one will ever, ever, ever, ever touch Dynamite and Davey again really... Not on the lands outside of this fair isle... As for here? All depends on if Alex Shane over-books the FWA into the ground really.

What about Harry Smith? Hes on his way up and onwards.

I think he's actually classed as Canadian,and i was going to include Jody Flesich but i wasn't sure if he was still going full time anymore after he got stabbed by his ex girlfriend(?).

I know it will probally never happen but I just wish that companies like FWA could get a saturday or sunday two hour slot on ITV and treated it like a WWE or TNA show (or let them be tried out as a experiement) because as much as we can all say we love TNA/WWE/NOAH ect. It would be great if a UK promotion could get a prime time slot.

Sadly that will never happen :( other than on the Wrestling channel

He knows that he will make more money and get more personal satisfaction working the various European show that he does, as well as his regular high ranking tour slots with NOAH and RoH as well...

Where as in the WWE he knows he be on Velocity or Heat as a second rate Benoit clone with half of his move set chopped off....

Thats the reason why he won't go. Plus to be chosen as the first Brit since Dynamite and Davey to hold a major title in Japan is a big thing, and the first British champion in NOAH history as well of any kind too...

Why go to the WWE with that being laid at your door?

• Like 1

Burchill has the potential to be huge given the right push. I doubt WWE will bother though. They don't like a guy who knows his wrestling better than his steroids.

Naturally, Doug Williams is an unbelievable wrestler but I can't see him ever working for the E.

I know it will probally never happen but I just wish that companies like FWA could get a saturday or sunday two hour slot on ITV and treated it like a WWE or TNA show (or let them be tried out as a experiement) because as much as we can all say we love TNA/WWE/NOAH ect. It would be great if a UK promotion could get a prime time slot.

Sadly that will never happen :( other than on the Wrestling channel

Brilliant idea! i live in Britain, and have never been to a British fed show, which is shameful frankly. I'd like to go, but no one to go with. And past experience says, these shows are always better when more than one of you go.....

every wrestler mentioned so far on this thread is a superb demomstration of the talent produced in the UK.Dynamite kid`Davey boy`Bill Robinson`Marc Rocco different time,different era,no longer the territories for a start,tv has changed,kayfabe days are over etc etc.Best to judge them at the end of there careers

Brilliant idea! i live in Britain' date=' and have never been to a British fed show, which is shameful frankly. I'd like to go, but no one to go with. And past experience says, these shows are always better when more than one of you go.....[/quote']

I went to an FWA show on my own and had a great time. True Jody Fleish, Jonny Storm, Juventud Juventud Guerrera and Doug Williams were on the card so it was a great event,but being there on my own didnt make a difference

Edited by Popsi

I don't understand, are you trying to ask if there will ever be any British representatives to make it big in popular federations like TNA and WWF, or are you asking about British based federations having more of a impact on British screens OR international screens?

OR are you asking whether there are any potential greats within the British industry?

Each question poses completely different discussion opportunities