College Course

Drake

Well im in the 11th grade right now, I gotta start thinking about what im gonna study in College. So, I don't want to study: law, medic or lawyer.

I wanna go into the Computer field. What would you guys suggest?

I don't mean like repairing PC's (Wich I think i'll have to take a little course of it anyway). But something like preparing web sites for big companys or personal ones. Programing etc....

Thoughts, Suggestions?

Don't bother going to college. Its crap/
LOL! ****, I had to laugh, that comment caught me totally off guard, it was golden! Good stuff, Nicole :lol

Good luck to you, whatever you choose to do Drake. Be sure you make the right choice though, you dont wanna go back to college in a few years and be the mature student everybody stares at :xyx

I agree with Nic, at least for me it was crap anyway. I lost all interest after 12 months, left after 18, dossed about for 5 months, got a job doing an hour a day, went to agency, got full time job, had money ever since, got all I want in life, and am very very happy. Except with my job as Im leaving in january anyway so its all good. :)

Remember that Drake isn't in the UK, so his experience in college will be dramatically different to yours.

It also depends on the industry that you want to get into - getting a foot-hold into the Computer industry without any qualifications is getting harder and harder because of all of the people who are qualified. If you want to try to get in a decent company without a degree, then you're going to find it MUCH tougher.

Of course, if you just want to flip burgers for the rest of your life, then don't worry about an education. :)

Yeah im with Fill, if you wanna get into computing you need a qualification of some sort as the competition to get into the industry is getting more and more fierce.

What ever you do, make sure its something you are interested in as it makes it a heck of a lot easier to learn about and stay motivated in.

Its all relative though, what you have in qualifications doesnt make up for a lack of experience now does it? ANd vice versa. Ive been in a fairly well paid job working for Toyota for the past 11 months now. Steady income, and with no bills or debts to pay its meant its all been money for myself. Two hundred and someodd quid after tax per week its a fair amount for a lad my age for work thats hardly that hard and I enjoy the company of the people I work with :)

Still dont stop me bettering myself tho, money isnt an issue as far as Im concerned, I'd be happy with anything if I enjoy the work. The reason im leaving and applying somewhere else is because of other factors such as distance to travel and stuff

I never understood why Americans (And of course, Puerto Ricans in this case) never differenciated between college and University. In my eyes, there's a major difference and there's no way they should be grouped together. It's a dig at society itself rather than individuals, but for me it's like having only one collective name for a car and a bus. Are they similar in some respects? Yes. But in other ways, they're very different. While you might grin and bear it if a smelly old woman sat next to you on a bus, you might not be so happy to see her if she jumped into your car and said "Tesco please, driver".

When I left school, I tried to make it as a footballer (lol failure lol). I'd offer to tell you all of the stories that went along with it, such as playing for Hibs and getting a trial with Everton, but I think Pabster's heard them so many times he'd go crazy if he had to read it once more. Anyway, during that time I did a Higher Psychology class in my local college because I thought of doing a business degree at University should my football career fall on it's arse, and some Universities asked for psychology as a pre-requisite subject. When I went to college, it was basically a building no bigger than an average school, crappy facilities, no nightlife and a bunch of older people who didn't want to get to know each other.

In the end, I ended up quitting football after realising the only route I could go down was with part-time clubs in the Scottish 2nd division, and I'd need to work during the day in a job to support myself and train every night. At the age of 19 I didn't really fancy having to work 9-5 then train 6-10 every single day of my life for the next 15 years. So I went to University, on a course where I didn't even need psychology (oops).

It was a complete contrast. My uni is pretty new, but even the older ones that have been around for hundreds of years have great facilities and are constantly being updated. There's a multi million pound, 4 floor library that's just been built on my campus which is going to provide free WiFi access to all students, meaning I can waste more time on TWO when I'm supposed to be working. There's a different kind of social life compared to college, in that you can go out on the town just about every night of the week, end up drinking 24 hours a day and you can get away with it because you're not a bum; you're a student! It's allowed! Hell, it's almost encouraged. If your student life is anything like mine, you'll end up going out for drinks with members of the opposite sex far out of your league, you'll find making friends with someone is as easy as saying "hello" to a stranger and if you play your cards right, you'll never have so many opportunities to get laid ever again in your life. :)

The fact is, every decent job these days needs a degree. There's a very noticable correlation between people with degrees and people who earn a lot of cash. Anyone who's smart enough to go to University these days shouldn't need to think twice about it. Go. Have the experience of your life and increase your chances of making more money in the future. Anyone who's not smart enough to go to University, don't go to college, become a plumber or something because us intelligent, rich folk need our drains unplugged. Cue evil Million Dollar Laugh here.

In the states college IS university - its just a differnet name. What we call college i think is just their high school.

But definitely go i think, youll have the time of your life, and hopefully will earn more money in the future because of it.

Its all relative though' date=' what you have in qualifications doesnt make up for a lack of experience now does it? ANd vice versa. Ive been in a fairly well paid job working for Toyota for the past 11 months now. Steady income, and with no bills or debts to pay its meant its all been money for myself. Two hundred and someodd quid after tax per week its a fair amount for a lad my age for work thats hardly that hard and I enjoy the company of the people I work with :)[/quote']

You see for me, experience is something that can be gained quicker than qualifications.

I'm 23, now had I not gone to uni or college I would have been working for 7 years, yes I'd have experience but I wouldn't have the qualifications needed to reach the next level of jobs. I'd be comfortable, maybe taking home up to 250 - 300 quid a week but I wouldn't be able to pierce the 20k barrier. Ok I'd have no debt but would I? Would I be able to manage not getting into debt on that salary?

But instead, I went to uni. I worked full time over every holiday, got experience in a number of different jobs and places. I also did a degree with a placement year so I had a year's worth of industrial training. So I came out of uni with a degree and some experience. That experience led to my placement company taking me back on 20k. And the skills I had learnt at uni add to my ever growing experience has just seen my pay rise to 25k. Yes I may have 14k in student loans and 2k in a personal loan debt wise, but I am still in a better position with better long term prospects now than had I opted out of Further and Higher education. Especially as the student loan comes straight out of the pay cheque before tax at about 60 quid a month.

For me, i've already got to a level I would have taken maybe 15 years to achieve had I not gone to uni, so therefore the debt and the years of study have been worth it.

I'm just a lazy ass. As I told someone on the phone last night, I only go to college for the ema. One more year in Droitwich, One year at PA college, and I'll be qualified. Wahey.

Everybody discouraged me from going into ICT, saying that I'd find it too hard to get a job because the market was flooded. I'll just stick to making my crappy websites :(

Well Russ in the US and in Puerto Rico College and University is the same thing. The place you go after you graduate from H.S, there's no real difference, some are bad and some are good College/Uni. Note when I refer to College and University I refer to them as one.

But yeah I wanna study something that has to do with computers, preferable something about building web sites and such. You get good money and it's something I'll enjoy.

I think media is probably an industry where they prize experience over a degree. My sister is currently doing her masters and wants to be a journalist, but the best thing about doing her MA is that she can be the music editor on the uni newspaper and gets to write and be published for a load of differnet places. That'l get her jobs, her MA will really only come into it if they get into the nitty gritty when candidate hunting.

I hate it when people just go to uni so they'll have a 25k a year job.

Sorry if my little speech seemed to suggest that was what it is all about, but to me, maybe it was. I didn't really like my degree but I was determined not to be another uni drop out. My placement got me contacts and also found me something I liked doing, hence why I'm back doing it.

I know a lot of people go to uni for different reasons but mine was purely about being able to get to higher on the financial ladder. Maybe that soudns selfish, but the reasons I want to earn a decent salary rather than a wage is because in the not to distant future I'll end up with a family to support so will need every penny I can get.

I hate it when people just go to uni so they'll have a 25k a year job.

Yeah, imagine that, going to school to get more learning, get more of an education, qualifications, all so you can earn enough money to be able to live above minimum wage. What a stupid idea. :P