Strange booking *** Contains RAW Spoilers ***

Ed_666

Been watching Raw and SD, and there seems to be some strange booking going on. It was difficult to make the Raw v SD match work with a mixture of heels and faces on both sides, but I think they pulled that off.

But since, Big Show has been apperaing on both shows, mostly with Kane on SD, but for some reason he's a big face on Raw (going against HHH), but a heel on SD, facing Batista and Rey, and attacking them from behind etc.

Why are they booking the same guy to be a face on one show and heel on another? Bizarrely the fans seem to be going along with it, although maybe it's just because Rey and Batista are hot faces, and HHH's is always a hot heel.

Ed

This is the kind of reason why fans today don't have the same connection as they used to with wrestlers. Look at someone like Hogan. For all the criticism he got, he was one of the most popular wrestlers in his peak, and for close to 10 years was always getting the biggest pops on every show.

Compare that to now. Just about every wrestler is turned face and heel so many times that every turn is a whole lot less meaningful. Everyone remembers Paul Orndorf's turn on Hogan. Same with Demolition in 1988 and Shawn Michaels in the Barber Shop, they showed you don't need to be a main event player to have a memorable turn. How many people are going to remember HHH's turn on Flair as being shocking for years to come? Booker T's recent heel turn was another example where no one was surprised, and no one cared.

On the Monday, Big Show is a happy smiley face waving to the fans. The next day, he's the evil bag guy spitting on Eddie's lowrider. 6 days later, he's back to being Mr Nice Guy. Look at the Mexicool's turn. Nothing happened. They just appeared one day and started getting cheered. Apparently, the Heartthrobs have now turned face as well, and unsurprisingly the fans aren't reacting to them because there was no angle or sign to tell them that they're different. They're doing the same gimmick, wrestling the same way, the only reason we're supposed to love them now instead of hate them is because they're wrestling heels on Heat.

It's a criticism of WWE, and perhaps wrestling as a whole these days, that no one knows how to make a big turn. Is it the internet's fault? I don't think so, you can be just as surprised with anything that happens these days even if you spend all day looking at wrestling sites. How many people would have predicted the return of Daivari in that way a few weeks ago? I just think that these days, the booking is so focused on getting everything done in the short term with as little planning as possible that turns mean absolutely nothing, not to mention the fact that people like Big Show and Kane can turn from face to heel to back to face again within 7 days. If events like that are so common, why should any fan give a crap when HHH turns on his best friend Ric Flair or Booker T betrays Benoit?

I'd say the point was to emphasise how the value's of who is face and heel depends on which show they are on.

Raw, right now, was the Heel of the Smackdown V Raw 'angle', and as such it's characters would be heelish towards the faces of Smackdown, despite their own orientations of face/heel on Raw.

It makes sense, because there has to be some kinda idea of heel/face types behind it to support the storyline to the fullest in the first place.

Simply put, it's clear to me that Being a Face of Raw doesn't mean you have to play clean with faces of the 'opposing' brand - it's just the way the weird world of Vinnie K McDoodleburgermahon is made to work. :P

All in all, Let them have their fun, heh heh

They are not having any good heel turns because it's all predictable. We know that eventually Triple H turns on all his friends and that's why you could see Triple H hitting Flair with that sledgehammer coming a mile away. And I don't know if anybody else predicted Shawn Micheal's turn on Hogan, but I did. I saw sweet chin music coming a mile away. There are no memorable heel turns anymore.

HHH's turn on Flair wasn't a heel turn. It was a backstabbing but no-one said HHH was babyface when he did it. WWE gave the impression that he would come back as a babyface but that only lasted a few minutes so it doesn't count. HHH's last proper heel turn was in 2002 when he turned heel by attacking HBK.

Been watching Raw and SD, and there seems to be some strange booking going on. It was difficult to make the Raw v SD match work with a mixture of heels and faces on both sides, but I think they pulled that off.

But since, Big Show has been apperaing on both shows, mostly with Kane on SD, but for some reason he's a big face on Raw (going against HHH), but a heel on SD, facing Batista and Rey, and attacking them from behind etc.

Why are they booking the same guy to be a face on one show and heel on another? Bizarrely the fans seem to be going along with it, although maybe it's just because Rey and Batista are hot faces, and HHH's is always a hot heel.

Ed

This was of course the subject of my "Ugly" in my very first "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (COUGH), and the explanation is written in it.

I'd say he's a heel on SD becuase he is a Raw guy, so he is 'invading' SD since both shows are meant to be competing so he's the heel for going to the other show to cause trouble.

On his brand (Raw) he is a face as he never does well as a heel on screen every week.

I do agree tho its terrible booking and is not uncommon with WWE these days, its that what makes me wonder over to watch TNA more and more recently, they need to get some stability in the booking and new writers