Is it right to deffend your home with Force

MartynJ

Recently one of my freinds had his house broke into by some kind of smackhead, looking for something to steal so he could pay for his addiction.

But what the thief didnt know, was that my freind was in bed and woke up to find him searching through his stuff, as soon as my freind grabbed him he beat the living daylights out of the thief and put him in hospital, and now he is the one who is getting done for assult

My freind is not usualy the violent type and never fights, but he has kids and they were screaming so it was his instint to attack just incase the thief was harmed even though he wasent, but he couldnt take the risk because of his fear of his kids

Now alot of people say he should have just restrained him untill the police arrived and some have said they would have killed him

I mean in the U.S if somebody breaks into your home then your allowed to shoot them, but here in the U.K even if you just batter a burgular who enters your home your the one you gets done

What would you do if this happened to you?

Should we be allowed to protect our homes with any means nesserrey?

If it would have happened to me i would have done the same as what my mate did, at least the thief might think twice next time he steals, and he is lucky that it wasent in the U.S or it could have been a homeowner with a gun and he could be dead

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you feel threatened then use any force you feel necessary. "Batter" is a strong word but if that's what it takes to restrain someone then I think it should be okay. It is, however, a tricky one to prove in court - how much is too much?

The same thing happened to that Norfolk farmer Tony Martin a few years back. Someone tried to break into his home and seeing that he lived alone and was fearing for his life he shot them dead, and to everyone's amazement he was convicted of murder. :?

Its totally astonishing that a burglar can enter your home, try to steal your personal belongings, yet if you try to defend yourself, you can get charged with assault (even if you have no previous convictions whatsoever).

Your friend was right to defend his home MartynJ, Im just sorry that the law in this country doesnt agree. Hopefully if there's any justice in this world whatsoever the charges against your friend will be dropped, before it goes to court. :)

The same thing happened to that Norfolk farmer Tony Martin a few years back. Someone tried to break into his home and seeing that he lived alone and was fearing for his life he shot them dead' date=' and to everyone's amazement he was convicted of murder. :?[/quote']

The thing here was that Tony martin had been banned from owning guns anyway. Plus he shot the kids as they ran away!!!

Yeah, the guy crossed a line there I think.

The same thing happened to that Norfolk farmer Tony Martin a few years back. Someone tried to break into his home and seeing that he lived alone and was fearing for his life he shot them dead' date=' and to everyone's amazement he was convicted of murder. :?[/quote']

Sorry hombre, that's not true. Tony Martin was twice refused a licence for holding firearms yet he still did. He shot a boy in the back - how is someone running away from you a threat? He acted maliciously and his crime was compounded by the fact that he had been refused the license for the weapon he used.

He didn't act in self-defence.

I think theres a difference between fighting for your life and to protect your family in your home, and shooting people in the back as they run away. We're not vigilanties and there is a line we shouldnt cross. If they're in your home defend it within reasonable measures (yes i know, what is reasonable?!) but there comes a point where it goes from being defensive to murder.

This is the exact reason I have a dog, as long as you have a sign on your door stating that you have a guard dog if anyone breaks in the dog can attack and harm them as they have crossed into a home that animal is meant to protect. Before I had the dog I had a baseball bat I wouldnt give a **** about the law if someone came into my home I'd wreck them, I have kids and a hell of a lot of expensive stuff that I have worked hard to buy I'm not letting some **** ruin the home Ive made for my children.

I think that you should be allowed to kill someone if they break into your home, of course you should, if the law changed maybe not so many people would think of robbing someones house.

As for that Martin guy well I'm sorry I agree with what he done those kids went into his house they knew someone lived there what did they expect "Oh hi welcome into my home let me just make you a cuppa whilst you take your pick of what you would like to take" yeah right I'd have done the same but made sure I hit both.

Make it legal to shoot people who break in.

xXx

If i owned a gun and some dodgy creeps come into my house to rob me i would definitly shoot to kill with no hesitation, no mercy would be given i know it sounds harsh but if you have kids and you are in fear for your life and your kids then you should just blow them away so they cant do it again

But I'm not a Jedi, so how can I use the Force? :P :D

The same thing happened to that Norfolk farmer Tony Martin a few years back. Someone tried to break into his home and seeing that he lived alone and was fearing for his life he shot them dead' date=' and to everyone's amazement he was convicted of murder. :? [/quote']

Actually, he shot the guy in the back as he was running away from the house.

doesn't the law say use resonable force ,well if that means beat the guy to a pulp thats resonable to me.if anybody tries to nick anything from me they would need a hospital for some time.i know i would be at the mercy of the law but i would feel good inmyself and if it detures others then its a good thing.

I think that, if a person breaks into your home, you should be allowed to kill them. Not beat them to death, but if you hit them with a cricket bat for example, and they die, you are in the clear.

Put it this way, if a person broke into my house, where my 4 yr old son is sleeping, I'd have no problem WHATSOEVER in killing them. The first thought it my mind would be "I'm going to kill you!"

The problem is worse over here at times - this guy broke into somebody's house, slipped on the stairs and injured himself, he then sued them for getting injured and won.

Yes, being a burgular can be profitable even if you don't steal anything from the people. :P

Having a gun is one of those weird areas because you could kill someone with a cricket bat (as Belty pointed out) just like you could with a gun. But it's still illegal to have guns, so it's one of those crazy "hmm" situations. I'm not sure where I stand with it to be honest.

I do however think that you should be able to stand up and protect your property from an intruder. If he breaks in and runs away, chances are I'm not gonna run after him. If he comes in with a knife or a weapon and aims for my mom or my dog, I'm gonna kill him if he doesn't kill me first. Actually.. I'd probably try and torture him first - I'm vindictive sometimes. But yeah, for sure you should defend your property. If its self-defense, and self includes home and property, then I'm gonna have no hesitations, gun or not.

Im not a bloodthirsty animal but I still think Tony Martin was right to shoot them. Whether he had a gun licence or not is simply not applicable for me. He didnt go looking for trouble, he wasnt a gun toting maniac on the high street, he was merely trying to stop two thieving scumbags from escaping HIS secluded property. It was unfortunate that one of them got killed, but at the end of the day it was their own fault for being somewhere they shouldn't have been. The guy didnt deserve a prison sentence IMO.

Whether he had a gun licence or not is simply not applicable for me.

Yes, why would one look at the pertinent facts when considering matters of life or death...

He didnt go looking for trouble' date=' he wasnt a gun toting maniac on the high street, [/quote']

You say that but the fact that he was refused a gun license not once but twice speaks volumes about his mental state.

he was merely trying to stop two thieving scumbags from escaping HIS secluded property.

So you don't want theives on your property but it's okay to shoot them for trying to leave?

His secluded farm was getting repeatedly burgled because he was seen as an easy target, and he felt he needed to have a gun for his own safety. Its not like he could call a neighbour for help, and how long would it have taken for the police to arrive? If he hadnt have shot them, then they most likely would have gotten away with the crime.

He didnt plan to go on a murdering spree, gunning everyone down in sight. He just wanted to feel protected in his OWN home. If the two people hadnt decided to try to rob his home then one wouldnt have been killed. Ive got no sympathy for him whatsoever.

If I was a vulnerable 55 year old living in a secluded property and someone tried to burgle my home-I would have done exactly the same thing .

If the two people hadnt decided to try to rob his home then one wouldnt have been killed. Ive got no sympathy for him whatsoever.

If Tony Martin hadn't broken the law by owning a weapon that he was not fit to own (as is proved by his use of it) then they wouldn't have been killed.

I can't believe some people are defending some little pikey scumbag who had been terrorising Tony Martin's house for months. I'm glad he got shot and I'm glad he was stupid enough to go and hide and I'm glad that in doing so, the tosser bled to death!

If I found someone burgling my home? I'd try with all my might to hurt them really bad. If they died because of it, then so be it.