Sleeping Giants? The Power Valets

Edgemaster006

Throughout the course of the WWE, there has been a class of wrestlers that I call the Sleeping Giants. They are used as bodyguards, dominators, intimidators, side-kicks, and occasionally upper mid-carders.

Every federation has known a few. The WWE sports Viscera, Prince Albert, Tyson Tomko, Jesus (Hey-soos, not the other namesake of course), Bull Buchanan, Ahmed Johnson, Kama Mustafa etc

Some of them are quite talented in-ring. But so few of them ever seem to really make it to the top.

In many instances, the men are only a partial package. Some cannot act, but fight very well. In rarer times, they can only act, but never really do much.

But more times than not, superb atheletes are kept down just because people don't care about the lower-card valet.

There are a few exceptions though. Remeber the "Deacon Batista"? The big man who tagged with Revrend D-von (who i thought was an amazing character). Well where are they now? Batista is earning at least 10x as much as D-von is. Remember Big Daddy Diesel? The quiet, bearded valet of Shawn Michaels? Well Kevin Nash is now a legend in his own right. Viscera? Well he does have SOME rep. He headlined Summerslam as "King Mabel."

And now we have emerging new ones; Paul Birchill who DOES have talent on the mike (despite the WWE writing lame lines like "I enjoy hurting people!")

while stlll having immense physical talent (C4 and standing SSP anybody??)

and the recently dissapeared Luthor Reigns (who admittedly didn't have too much mike talent but was decent in the ring).

My question is; what makes a succesful power valet? What are the ingredients a power valet needs to break off and make it to the top? And will the majority of them ever really be recognized?

And now we have emerging new ones; Paul Birchill who DOES have talent on the mike (despite the WWE writing lame lines like "I enjoy hurting people!")

while stlll having immense physical talent (C4 and standing SSP anybody??)

and the recently dissapeared Luthor Reigns (who admittedly didn't have too much mike talent but was decent in the ring).

I disagree on both points. Birchall is bland, boring and average, whilst Luther was terrible in the ring but brilliant on the mic (had had movie roles, however small).

Otherwise, yeah, decent points. As far as what you need - you need to be something that can become something more once alone. Too many guys don't learn, do their bit and fade into obscurity. A great look helps big time. Why be scared of a 6ft garden rake?

Birchill bad on the mike?

Go to WWE.com under his profile and click on videos.

Then view the video titled "Birchill introduces himself" I think the guy is solid as far as the mike goes.

And Luthor a good promoer?!? He was either way too boring or overacted completely. The promo before his match with taker was god-awful "Ive been in the darkness before. im not afraid of it!" He went way over-the-top even for a taker match.

Birchill bad on the mike?

Go to WWE.com under his profile and click on videos.

Then view the video titled "Birchill introduces himself" I think the guy is solid as far as the mike goes.

And Luthor a good promoer?!? He was either way too boring or overacted completely. The promo before his match with taker was god-awful "Ive been in the darkness before. im not afraid of it!" He went way over-the-top even for a taker match.

I also have to disagree.

Burchill's athleticism makes up for his average ring work, but is bland as hell. Reigns atleast had some charisma to him. And this is the WWE, land of old women birthing hands, nothing is over the top.

Also, Burchill isn't that big actually. Probably around 6'3''ish and 260lbs.

I think one of the reasons Burchill seems bland as hell is because he has pulled off absolutely nothing.

The biggest move I've seen out of him so far is a shoulder-breaker.

This is a guy who in the FWA did military presses, big...BIG powerbombs, two man samoan rolls...

In the WWE ive only seen this: Shoulder breaker, headlock, punch, armbar, clothesline.

That's all. To say Birchill hasn't done much in the WWE is true. But I have a sneaking suspicion that they don't WANT him to do much.

If he had come in as a Brock Lesnar type guy with a charismatic manager to do his talking and with his ORIGINAL moveset..then they might have had something. But Lashley jumped on the Lesnar train first. So they just stuck two British guys together.

As for Luthor...if he had any charisma then i genuinely missed it. Just because Mae Young gave birth to a hand *shudders* doesn't give Reigns an excuse to be a bad actor.

Burchill has HUGE potential. Not only can the guy do the spectacular tricks that will get him over if he ever reaches the main event scene, he knows how to work the WWE undercard match style perfectly. If he's pushed slowly, without any ridiculous gimmicks, I think he could become one of the company's top heels.

Do NOT diss this man. He's solid on the mic, is a phenomenol wrestler and if anyone in WWE management has a brain, they'll know he can be a massive jewel in their crown in years to come. If this guy started wrestling a generation ago, there's no doubt he'd become a top man in the business. Unfortunately today's wrestling is more like reality TV. If you don't set yourself on fire or start levitating on the spot you get the cut.

Can't see why anyone would call Burchill decent. He flat-out bores me. He bored me over here and bores me over there. He's not even a monster over there - he's dwarfed. He was big in the FWA because he was surrounded by five-footers, not mid-six-footers. And he's not 6ft 6, or even 6ft 4. He was my height (with lifts in his boots) and I was 6ft 1 at the time.

Overrated. Definition: Burchill, by UK fans desperate for someone to get behind

Can't see why anyone would call Burchill decent. He flat-out bores me. He bored me over here and bores me over there. He's not even a monster over there - he's dwarfed. He was big in the FWA because he was surrounded by five-footers, not mid-six-footers. And he's not 6ft 6, or even 6ft 4. He was my height (with lifts in his boots) and I was 6ft 1 at the time.

Overrated. Definition: Burchill, by UK fans desperate for someone to get behind

I don't see him as a big man. He's just a damn good technical/power wrestler.