A Series Of Explosions in Hemel Hempstead

FreeSpirit

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/11122005/325/massive-blast-hits-fuel-depot.html

I didn't hear the blast, but I woke up at around 10am and saw the sky was very dark, thick with smoke. I didn't know what the hell was going on, until I asked a neighbour who said that there had been a massive explosion at a fuel depot in Hemel Hempstead.

At first I thought it was another terrorist attack, but the police are reporting that the early indications point to an accident. Sky News are even saying that this is the biggest fire ever in peacetime Europe.

I know there are a few TWO members here who live near Hemel Hempstead, so first of all I'd like to know if you're all OK?

Hemel isn't that bad a place either, its a shame the explosion didn't happen a few miles to ythe east in Hatfield, the town where i had the misfortune of living for 4 years.

Its seriously gloomy and dark even before darkness around here, doesn't help when you can see the mass of black from miles away.

Yeah been talking to a lot of my friends and family, who live 10 mins from where it happened, and they were all woken by it, and say there's just a giant ploom of black smoke in the sky, like a mushroom cloud, or something from a volcano.

Lol and Christof, Hemel is quite a crappy place, believe me. Its no Luton, but its a bit of a dive.

Lol and Christof, Hemel is quite a crappy place, believe me. Its no Luton, but its a bit of a dive.

I know I said that Hemel is awful before, but it's really not that bad, especially since they have opened the "Riverside" section of shops, although they need to replace the knocked down Dacroum Pavilion.

All I need now is for them to move the market down town, which is apparently still 18 months away yet. :(

I read that the explosion could be heard in Holland is was so loud. There was also a couple of stories about damage to houses, a guy who lives one mile away got his door blown off the hinges and someone nearby who had just had 20 new panes of glass put on his windows had them all shattered.

It's a shame for anyone who's experienced a loss of any kind from this, but it's provided me with lots of brilliant evidence for a piece of risk management coursework I'm doing looking at the effects of terrorism. It shows just how the events in New York and London have affected people's though processes when instantly after this all we heard was "IT'S TERRORISM THEY BLEW UP A PLANE TERRORIST ATTACK WITH TERROR ARGH".

Well it's just 24 hours since it went up and it's still showing no signs of dying down.

When i saw the pictures yesterday dinner time i was in shock, they were sights that you only saw in war torn iraq. Its good to hear that nobodies life is in danger. Just wear a face mask if your going anywhere near it.

The fire is still raging.

Firefighters had to pull out amid fears that futher tanks would erupt it was'nt untill earlier this evening that they were able to resume fighting the blaze after aerial photos showed it was safe for the fire fighters to go back in.