Human Rights Day.

Anime Otaku

Umm actually its meant to be like World Aids day on December 1st which is used to bring peoples attention to the spread of Aids. Human Rights Day is meant to bring attention to the fact that in places like China, Iran and America(allegedly) there are Human Rights abuses happening including torture.

Hands up all those who studied Human Rights at one of the best Universities in Europe?

*Waves two hands in the air*

Hi!

I know it might seem totally against everything else I come out with but I've always been a major supporter of proper fundamental human rights. No, not the little silly cases about some man being able to hold another man's hand down the street but stopping countries like Turkey, and even today jeez the bloody UK from infringing on serious rights such as the right to a fair trial and the prohibition of torture.

Respect for fundamental human rights is something I'm sure everybody here would agree on. I think too many people take them forgranted and when you realise that even the 'good guy' countries like the US don't respect them at times that people should be more active, even if it just means saying 'That's shocking' just a little bit louder.

While I disagree that any human right can be seen as 'silly' I do agree that we should be kicking up a fuss alot more about places with bad Human Rights records. While pressure shoul;d be applied ot all countries that oppress Human Rights the likes of China and the USA should be given special attention.

Yeh but the fact is that positive discrimination that is actually unfair is prohibited, and whilst people might moan about it, the quota systems are only allowed when they aren't purely based on someone's race/gender/etc.

Plus, Human Rights activists hardly go too far. Try telling that to the people in Arab states who have electrodes plugged to their ears and are tortured. Infact maybe even try telling it to the people who were probably tortured by the US government. If these people aren't going to speak out against Human Rights violations who is?

I can think of far more annoying things off the top of my head than Amnesty International and co.. one example runs off the top of my head, ah yes, gay rights activists. And thats not a contradiction since they just moan about everything that isn't poofy.

Its a human right to get on with life? Don't remember seeing that in any International convention. Freedom of expression is always weighed against the right to privacy and other conflicting rights anyway. Jeez you'd think by the sounds of it that these Human rights campaigners are causing trouble by pointing out that people are being executed needlessly etc. There's no 'right to ignorance' in the ECHR.

Protesters might be generally annoying but ones campaigning for fundamental Human rights hardly should be considered that.

Immigration is an issue i cannot really figure out a position on. On the one hand people who come from a place where they are persecuted or in danger through warfare they should be welcomed in as should those that have skills that we are lacking such as NHS dentists and several other trade. At the same time though we should make sure not to let in just anyone who wants to take from the country without giving back anythign to the nations economy.

see no offence, Taj - but the first sentence there sums you up for me:

"Immigration is an issue i cannot really figure out a position on."

I don't have a position on it. I don't need one - it doesn't directly affect me.

I live in a small world where I've been screwed over so many time by so many different things that I am now immune to the ways of the world and the many variations of it's attempts to screw people over.

If things are gonna happen, they're gonna happen - no amount of well meaning people posting on a wrestling forum is gonna alter that, so I concern myself with things that directly affect me and my family - I don't need to 'figure out a position' on things that have nothing to do with me - if I have to actively think about something for more than 10 seconds to 'figure out a position' then I don't care.

Harsh? Probably. Small-minded? No doubt. Does it get me by? Hell yeah.

I'm not of the "I don't care, so you can't" position either... I just find it highly amusing that people - mostly Taj, it has to be said - have all these high falutin' ideals and opinions on everything, no matter how minute or meaningless it may be in the grand scheme of things. "Oh no - the crocodiles in the rivers aren't getting enough vitamin Z - shouldn't we do something about it?" would be met by a post from SOMEONE with a well thought out opinion and thoughts and solutions... how do people have TIME to think about this stuff???

Don't take this the wrong way, it's not a pop at peeps... I dunno... I just dunno how peeps can worry about this kind of stuff on an everyday basis. Maybe I'm just too dumb to grasp it?

Edited by Inno

Usually I'd agree with ya Inno but I think the want for better International Human Rights protection, and Immigration are both things that its pretty wrong to be ignorant about.

As for the Immigration issue, I stand by what I said the last time this debate came up but the person I most enjoy hearing share his views on the matter is good old Jack :D

I only knew it was today because my Filipina friend Maia is a HR consultant and mentioned it in her blog today.

As for what I said earlier about immigration what I really meant was that I can see both sides to some extent for both allowing as many people in as we can that either need help or can help us by bringing skills into the country we don't have enough of. On the other hand I realise that there are some who are just coming here because we have a good way of life here compared to some places and won't contribte anythign to the country. Though I am not in favour of total intergration to the point that they lose the customs and language of their own countries, though they should learn English too.

Edited by Anime Otaku