Why not to play PC games

MrFill

Ah, but consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. Compare an X Box 360 to a SNES. On the classic Nintendo console, all you could do was play cartridges. Now you'd expect every console to allow you to go online, have a hard drive and allow for downloading of material. Who's to say that in future they won't have a game that checks if you have any illegal mods and refuses to start until then?

I don't play PC games much for the simple fact that just about every new game requires a top of the range PC to fully function. I got a new PC last Christmas, and it came with a software bundle. I tried playing one of the Hitman games that came with it, and it refused to work. I tried playing a Prince Of Persia game on it, and again, it ran far too slowly so that it was unplayable.

For years now I've always gone down the line of using consoles for gaming, because unless you're spending a fortune on a new PC, you'll probably find that within 2 years you'll struggle to have any new games playable on it.

Ah' date=' but consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. Compare an X Box 360 to a SNES. On the classic Nintendo console, all you could do was play cartridges. Now you'd expect every console to allow you to go online, have a hard drive and allow for downloading of material. Who's to say that in future they won't have a game that checks if you have any illegal mods and refuses to start until then?[/quote']

The real difference between the the downloads for the Xbox and a PC though is that they can guarantee the config of the console, so your update is pretty much "guaranteed" to work (unless they make a faulty upgrade).

And Xbox Live doesn't work if you have a modded machine, so the answer is "don't use illegal mods". :D

As Russ says, a new game has a 50/50 chance of working well on your computer, and if it does work, it is likely to run slowly. The last PC game I bought was World Championship Snooker 2005, and it works on my laptop, but not on my PC. But my laptop can't handle to performance, and so after a while it causes it to crash.

So now I just buy loads of Gamecube games.

Can you really go through that many games though? Maybe I just don't have the time. I've got 5 Xbox games and haven't bought anymore since I got the console in the summer. Yet one game I'm still to play.

Maybe its just that the games aren't addictive / captivating enough. Yet my friends with Gamecube's can play for hours.

I have about 10 games for my cube, I play maybe 3-4.

I have about 20 games for my PS2, I play 1.

I have about 20 games for my Xbox, I play maybe 5-6.

I have about 5 games for my Dreamcast, I rarely turn it on (because it's not plugged in).

I have about 3 games for my N64, the only games I use for it is No Mercy.

Overall, the machine which is used most is the Xbox, and before SD vs RAW 2006, the PS2 hadn't been turned on for months.