Harry's Back at Portsmouth

PHIZZLE

Portsmouth have called a five o'clock press conference where they are expected to unveil Harry Redknapp as their new manager.

The move will divide the Fratton Park club's support as some fans have not forgiven Redknapp for taking over at arch-rivals Southampton after quitting Pompey last year.

Milan Mandaric sacked Alain Perrin and initially looked to install Neil Warnock as his latest manager, only for the Sheffield United boss to opt to remain in Yorkshire.

Pompey are in relegation trouble and face three crucial home games in the upcoming weeks - against West Brom, West Ham and Fulham.

If Redknapp's return is confirmed, he will take charge of the side for Monday's live Sky Sports 1 clash with Tottenham.

Southampton had demanded compensation for the ex-West Ham boss after his resignation last Saturday and the two clubs were some way apart at the beginning of the negotiations.

Saints have now revealed that an unspecified payment package has been agreed with their local rivals, although chairman Rupert Lowe is less than happy with the outcome.

Harry Redknapp has officially been confirmed as Portsmouth's new manager.

At a press conference at Fratton Park, Redknapp was unveiled before the media, completing one of the most remarkable football turnarounds in recent years.

Redknapp quit Portsmouth last season after a much publicised fall-out with chairman Milan Mandaric, took over at Southampton, where he never really settled at St Mary's and failed to prevent them from sliding out of The Premiership.

Having quit Southampton on Saturday, after hearing of Portsmouth's interest in securing his services, Redknapp was initially caught in no-mans' land at the beginning of the week after the two clubs failed to agree a suitable compensation package.

However, further talks between Mandaric and his Saints counterpart Rupert Lowe did broker a deal satisfactory for both parties and Redknapp will now take his place in the Pompey dugout on Saturday, against West Brom.

Redknapp will not be fondly remembered on the red side of the South Coast but it remains to be seen what reception he will receive on the blue side at the weekend

I did have a lot of respect for Harry, even when he left west ham all those years ago. But with all this furor and contraversy, plus the fact we all knew Harry was going back to Pompey, i have lost all that respect. He has messed them all about and Pompey should never have brought him back.

I'd say I'd like to see Portsmouth get relegated now, but I'm not sure that's fair because even if they did, Harry Redknapp wouldn't care. He'd still coast into some other undeserved job somewhere, because he's 'got a proven track record', even though that record is at struggling teams who continue to struggle and his last job saw him take a side outside of the bottom three and relegate them as bottom of the table. He's no scruples and why people rave about him when he seems to be a distinctly unsavoury character who goes through the motions, taking the money, I have no clue. I can only think the London media must be talking him up because he's from around that region.

He'd still coast into some other undeserved job somewhere' date=' because he's 'got a proven track record', even though that record is at struggling teams who continue to struggle [/quote']

I'm sorry but West Ham hardly struggled under him, they were punching well above their weight finishing as high as 7th in the Premiership at one point I believe. Then he takes a team from the bottom of what was the 1st Division and in one season takes them to the Premiership and keeps them there. I'm sorry but like the man or loathe him, that's a pretty decent track record in my book.

Half of them weren't as good back then though.

But thats the point, if we had been able to keep hold of Rio, Lampard, Cole, Johnson and Defoe then who knows what heights we could have reached over time. The levels that these guys are at now, imagine all of them still playing at Upton Park under Harry Redknapp, we would be higher than we are, and would not have left the premiership. Gettng rid of Harry was a mistake, i've always said that.