Cruiserweights - what should be done with them?

MojoPogo

I personally am a great fan of the cruiserweight division, and feel it is woefully misrepresented by the WWE, i'd just like to see if anybody else feels the same and hear a few ideas on how this could be changed? (yeah, i know its unlikely to happen realistically) but what should be done? Should they be concentrated on one show? Should they have their own show? lets hear what everyone thinks, there's too much talent in their going to waste in my humble opinion.....

It seems pretty clear to me. Let Cruiserweights wrestle other Cruiserweights at the start of the show. They don't need pushed to the main event, they don't need 30 minutes of storylines based around them, just keep opening shows with faced paced wrestling action to get the live crowd warmed up. Bischoff made a lot of mistakes, but one of the smartest things he did was set up a cruiserweight division in WCW that worked exactly like this, which was a huge success.

WWE's idea of a Cruiserweight division is to put a couple of them in a team and job them out, then use them as jobbers to the next big roided muscleman straight out of OVW far too early. If they only wrestled others of the same size, they could put on some great matches, entertain a lot of people and help make the crowd even more responsive to the stuff later on in the show.

When I talk about wanting to see cruiserweights getting a push or used correctly, I don't mean I want to see Spanky going over Kane clean within 5 minutes. I'd be perfectly happy to see him wrestle someone like London, Nunzio, Juvi, Super Crazy or James Gibson/Noble on the first match on Smackdown! for a few weeks, with the guys being able to do what they want in the ring and given a reasonable time period to put together a fun match.

• Like 2

I'm totally with Russ on this.

Cruisers should only wrestle Cruisers, not be put into "I'm big and you're small" squash matches.

If you keep them as a separate division, then that's what you'll have, a division - you don't see the women wrestling big men, do you? :P

Russ is right on the ball with the idea of having them first every week on every SD. After about 2 months of the cruiser flip fests the fans would be behind their faves (I'm not using heel face here as I don't think cruisers really need it) and it'd create some great heat on it. It would only work though if all cruisers were on SD. So get Chavo, Tajiri & Greg Helms over there for a start. Really, who wouldn't want to see Chavo Vs Kid Kash, or Super Crazy Vs. Tajiri as the opener of SD, iwht maybe a triple threat for the title to open a PPV. It could work, WWE creative should wake up.

Universal Uproar had the 6 man cruiser tag as the opener and it REALLY got the crowd going as it had no story or buildup, and by the end everyone was digging it and cheering their faves. I was swayed by Jonny, Jody and Spud by the end. If only WWE would do it. They don't need to be spotfests like that was, hell, only 1 or 2 off the top moves would suffice as the finisher and aren't 100% needed anyway. See Nunzio and Juvi for evidence.

I agree all the women should be on RAW wrestling. Any others should be valets/managers and nothing else! remember Miss Elizabeth or Sensational Sherrie? I know I do and they were great at what they did. But, I actually have enjoyed a couple of womens matches recently so I'd like to see them get a legitimate push along with the cruisers.

Russ's idea is quite good.

Personally I would rather have World title, a few midcarders striving to reach the world title picture or fueding amongst themselves and a good tag team division. If that happened time constraints would probably mean using the cruiser weights in dark matches and as jobbers for the new midcarders.

i think the X division is a perfect example of how crusers can be used correctly (i know Samoa joe isn't one).... they can do well with storylines i think and there is no reason in a 2 hour show that the cruserweight belt can't have a little storyline instead of a last mintue battle royal for the ppv...

I'm totally with Russ on this.

Cruisers should only wrestle Cruisers, not be put into "I'm big and you're small" squash matches.

If you keep them as a separate division, then that's what you'll have, a division - you don't see the women wrestling big men, do you? :P

Agreed. MrFill & Russ are dead on here. This is why I have so much more respect for how TNA handles their cruiserweights compared to the way the WWE handles their own. Totally.:xyx

Absolutely agree with Russ and Fill and I think the point Russ made about allowing the cruisers the freedom to use their own moves, create their own excitement and tell the story in the ring is the most important. Where they appear on the card isn't quite as important as the electricity they can generate around the crowd with the quick aerial ability. But do we really want them curtain-jerking the show? Mid-show is where I'd put them. Get the crowd into the show by using the current storylines (not the actual ones they are using now but the ones they happen to be using at the time) and just as the crowd feels a lull in the show, bring on the cruisers and allow them to regenerate the crowd excitement.

They need properly organised title matches, contenderships ladders and PPV matches. Also Rey Mysterio. Mysterio is the epitome of CW wrestling. He should be the flagship of the division and should elevate its significance. Unfortunately Vince thinks he's better trying to simulate kicking 300+ pounder's asses.

The Cruisers by the sound of it need Russ or Mr.Fill as GM on SD. I mean they do need their own time, their own movesets and their own ways of ebtertaining the fans, everyone knows they can entertain because they have entertained everyone watching them in the different promotions which range all over the world. Look at the quality matches we could have seen so far which could of been the key to more SD ratings ages ago.

I tell you something though, I would not actually mind just a promotion including all the cruisers, completely apart from anything else, using open contracts unless soime want to work full time and having a promotion based on cruiserweight wrestlers and cruiserweight action, this seems the best way for everyone to see the best out of cruiserweight action and I would easily leave WWE for that, well i can say that now, don't know if i can keep it. I mean give them championships, storylines, mic time, and get someone who knows how to manage cruiserweights, someone like Bischoff and even Heyman knows based on the ECW matches involving Rey and Psychosis.