WWE files interesting trademark

tazz13

WWE filed a trademark for "WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION" on November 2nd with the following usage explanation.

"Entertainment services, namely, the production and exhibition of professional wrestling events rendered live and through the media of television; providing wrestling news and information via a global computer network."

WWE was forced to stop using the WWF name after losing a case to the World Wildlife Fund. It is unknown if WWE is planning on making the current WWF an offer so that they can use the WWF name again.

Credit: PWInsider.com

EDIT: Please use the Quote tag when referring to an external story.

Edited by MrFill

For their videos of older shows - it would mean that they wouldn't have to blur and bleep out references.

As i have mentioned in another thread, i recentley purchased the WWE's "Monday Night War" DVD which was released after the change from Federation to Entertainment and in that they often use the title 'World Wrestling Federation'.

pinmepayme.

Let's face it, it never did and never has felt right them using WWE. It has ALWAYS been "Welcome fans to the World Wrestling Federation" or the way JR has always shouted "WWF" it just seemed so right. Then the WWE name comes along (yes they were forced too) but it just isn't right, never has been.

If they get WWF back that can only mean good things :)

As i have mentioned in another thread, i recentley purchased the WWE's "Monday Night War" DVD which was released after the change from Federation to Entertainment and in that they often use the title 'World Wrestling Federation'.

pinmepayme.

Aren't they allowed to say 'World Wrestling Federation'? They just cant show the WWF logo.

Wasn't it the case that WWE were always free to call themselves the "World Wrestling Federation", but just couldn't go by the name "WWF" any more? Someone would need to check out a DVD rerelease and see if they're still able to say "World Wrestling Federation", because I'm sure they're still allowed to say that. The only problem is that they can't use WWF, because it might confused some people (ie- lobotomy patients) with the charity WWF.

I think this trademark is more to cover themselves in showing old material, rather than a renaming of the company. This doesn't really seem to suggest anything I didn't know already.

AND MAYBE THE CHAMP WILL BE ABLE TO F'IN WRESTLE!!!

hey i can dream can't I?

Well, it wasn't necessarily needed during the WWF period.

Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Andre The Giant, Sgt. Slaughter, The Undertaker, Yokozuna, Diesel, Sycho Sid, Kane, Vince McMahon and The Big Show.

Yup, none of them could wrestle.