Beckham as Englands Captain.

MADDOGCJM

This weekend Beckham was sent off again for Madrid.

I read that was his 3rd/4th time this year.

He has been sent off for England twice, the only man to earn this dubious distinction.

I have no doubt the man has a pasion for the game, but his disciplinery record is very very poor.

Beckhams ability on the pitch is oft questioned, and many, myself included, think SWP should play on the right for England.

So, should Beckham be captain of the country?

Beckham is a very good right midfielder. In Centre-Mid, I always saw him as distinctly average. The passes and crosses he pings about from the right wing are awesome to watch at times, yet he never makes the same impact playing in the middle.

And no, he's not captain material, IMO.

Back in 2001, when he lead be example, in games like Greece then yeah. But now he doesn't seem to have that towering talent over the team.

Players like Gerrard and Lampard are better, Rooney has more influence probably, and even some of our defenders are the same.

Thus on his day Beckham deserves a place. For me, at the moment, Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole, are the ideal subs to bring on.

I am one of Beckham's biggest fans, the man is an absolute icon.

HOWEVER, even I can see that John Terry is the best candidate for England captain, he would be the best to organise the team and lead from the back when we are not performing.

I think it should be a priority for Sven to pass the torch to JT.

' date=' Rooney has more influence probably,[/quote']

i wouldn't have rooney as captain.. and you think Becks gets sent of lots..

fact is Beckham can do no right for most people.. IMO he is a great captain and for Real Madrid has been putting in some outsatnding performances.... but he gets a red card and immediately that all goes out of the window and everyone focuses on the red card...

Becks s the right man for the captaincy for now.. the players like him and that's how it shall stay... leave it untill after the world cup.. just like we will with Sven:devil

Beckham is poor now, he can't even take a good freekick anymore and is just a whiney little b*tch who is so far up Sven's (who's just like Beckham!) a** that I can't tell where one ends and the other starts

I beleve George Best said it best when he said of Beckham "He can't dribble, can't use his left foot and can't head the ball.... other then that tho he's an ok player"

Terry for captin and Beckham to be dropped from the team altogether, oh and while i'm at it - Big Sam for manager!!!

i wouldn't have rooney as captain.. and you think Becks gets sent of lots..

I doubt he was saying to have Rooney as captain, if Real Madrid where so great and Beckham was so great they would be right up there with Barcelona in the spanish league, and the amount of managers Madrid have are a joke, John Toshack said its like every manager is like a caretaker manager because they get the boot after a certain period of time.

Yeah I meant more influence on the game.

If you looked back to 2001, as soon as Beckham got the ball, fans expectations went up, as we expected him to be the guy to drive us forward and inspire, but now Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard all do that more, that and Beckham isn't like a Keane type character anyway, thus he doesn't really lead in any way.

Keep him captain for the World Cup, but after that, I'd contemplate changing him, for someone like Terry.