Computer help x2!

Nicole

1. When I hold ctrl+alt+delete, the box thingy doesn't pop up. Any ideas of how to make it work

2. I keep getting these adverts when im online, they claim my computers under "serious error" but then links to a crappy website when you visit it. Any idea of whats running this program, or how to get rid of it?

1. When I hold ctrl+alt+delete, the box thingy doesn't pop up. Any ideas of how to make it work

2. I keep getting these adverts when im online, they claim my computers under "serious error" but then links to a crappy website when you visit it. Any idea of whats running this program, or how to get rid of it?

It's not a program, it's a popup advert that's made to look like a dialog box.

Install a popup blocker or just close them.

Not called WinFixer 2005 is it, by any chance? I get that one All the time now, at first I almost believed it and nearly downloaded the program, thankfully I thought better than that and stopped fast. They're a real bugger I know that much, probs some program that blocks them out there.

I had this problem. Took me ages to get rid of it. Right, on MSN, do people keep coming on and accidentally saying

"You can find out who's blocking you! Get this new MSN pop-up blocker!!!11one?

Because that's what screwed up my computer. It's a virus that gets onto your machine, and even if you end the process, it still won't go.

You have to go into My Computer, seek out the folder in question and delete it. The problem I had though, is that I didn't have permission to delete it. Even though I'm an "Administrator" on this computer. I ended up using Anti-Virus softare to remove the file and all its contents off my PC.

Then I gave it a clean up and the Task Manager worked again (Ctrl, Alt + Del)

What the virus actually does is block the Task Manager, so you can't open it and therefore end such offending processes.

Try opening the Task Manager by going Start > Run and typing in "taskmgr.exe". It may just work. In any case take the advice already given.

And a helpful little tool (not that it's very helpful in this case as you don't know what files are responsible) is this http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download ... that program will save you from ever having to read "Cannot delete file: It is being used by another person or program" ever again. Which is a lifesaver if you get any spyware or virus'. Or if a file just decides to be annoying.

Take a look at your running programs when you can, if you have Wintools A or B you are in serious doo doo, most new Malware attach themselves as windows items, therefore windows will not allow you to delete them!

You will have to get yourself a decent security suite, I have Mcaffee myself and have remained trouble free over a year. Don't waste your time with any of the free stuff either.

Seriously the money is worth the lack of hassle!

Saz

Run in safe mode Nicole (that's pressing F8 at boot up), only the important stuff is run there.

What I suggest you do is try trend's online thingy http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ to see if that will help you out.

If you can recognise the virus, then you can try using regedit.exe to delete the program even starting up.

Your final option is to back up your files and do a clean reboot.

Hope that helps.

Saz

Right, I have a possible solution for you.

Download the Unlocker program from here http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download and install that. Then what you need to do is go to C:\WINDOWS\System32 and locate taskmgr.exe. Right click this and select "Unlocker", it'll tell you all the programs that are using it, and all you need to do is select those programs and click "Unlock All". Or just kill the process entirely. This should, in theory, allow you to get the task manager back.