The HHH Persona 2003 onwards...

Dickie Hyde

We've seen Triple H on TV when it comes to wrestling for a long while now, from Terra Ryzing in WCW... to D-X in the WWF... to "The Game" and now... what I like to call... "The New Game."

Now we've seen great feuds from all of these characters, title or no title on the line. But now we come to "The New Game" character. The 2003 onwards character. The Game changed from the jeans and t-shirt guy, to the suited and booted guy with Ric Flair as his idol. (Somewhat into his real life character)

Now I'm a Triple H mark to the enth degree. But i have noticed that this "new" character has kind of dug itself into a hole... or has it? That's the question i'm asking. I mean, he's over with the fans, awesome. He's made stars out of Randy Orton and Batista, and done the valuable jobs of Chris Benoit and Shelton Benjamin as of recent. But as successful to business as this character is, the question has to be asked, with the character as it is now (and i love it) can it be taken realistically without being involved in a World Title storyline? Let's look at it logically. We've had the Flair feud, and seem to be edging towards one with The Big Show. Great, once that's over, say by the Rumble.... then what?

The on-screen chatacter we see in Triple H now would not be challenging for the intercontinental title or the tag titles, or anything like that. The character we see is a 10 time world champion and would believably and rightfully beating most competitors in the mid-card. He can win the title a couple of times more in say the next few months, but what about those ever so decent feuds without the title on the line. How are they now going to be achieved with Triple H? To me, the character goes together with the World/WWE title, not in the way of having it, but in the way of being at least involved in it in some capacity. Whether it be challenging for it, losing a match for it or actually having it.

I feel this is the question that every WWE fan has on their mind... and I've just wordered it for them.

Constructive and critical answers are welcomed... this thread is about the HHH on screen character, not Paul Levesque. Let's not make this the 1,000,000th thread to slate down Mr.Levesque now hey? ;)

Edited by Dickie Hyde

I disagree with 75% of your post, and conclude that HHH will go on to simply try to beat Flairs record of title wins and then get p***ed off because:

a) Flair is more of a legend than HHH will EVER be

b) The era of Flair had more tradition and meaning than HHHs era (2002 onwards), as did the belts

c) HHH still isn't even half the draw that Hogan, Flair, Austin and Rock all were and somewhat still are

See, HHH SHOULD try and put someone over (I'll give you Batista, but my arse did he ever put Orton over. Undertaker has done FAR more for Ortons career, as has Orton himself, and Flair. Hell, and Edge, Benoit, etc), but he'll just end up trying to be Flair 2, and no one will accept it because he's nothing on Flair.

Dickie. You can't imagine HHH not in a title feud because thats all you are used to. Him and Steph/WWE making sure he has the title or is at least in the running for it.

Since he came back from his recent time off it seems - to me - as if he is begrudgingly feuding with Flair as it is not for the title. But he knows better than us that he cant just come back after that time out all all of a sudden be No1 contender.

HHH would be a good worker if he didn't have the belt...the problem is....HE'S HAD IT TEN TIMES!!!!

People like Hogan and Flair have an excuse for not having gold around their waists because they are getting on in the years. But HHH without the belt looks awkward because he's still got miles to go.

He was a good character without the belt in the character of "DX" when he was lieutenant to Shawn Michaels right up to his first title reign. But after a while, he really did seem "that damn good!"

So if he wanted to, he could be a decent midcarder. The problem is..we all know better.