Half Life 2 on xbox.....

MojoPogo

Another recent purchase (i've had a spending spree) and if i could be serious for a minute, its the best xbox game i've ever played. The graphics are utterly awesome, the story is completely compelling, and the gameplay is tight, frantic, addictive, with logical (even entertaining at times) puzzles and cracking cut scenes! I realise this is turning into a Wallace and Gromit style review but if you've got an xbox - get it, seriously. Halo 2 may be better multiplayer, but in terms of a one player game, this is the daddy, and i cant believe the quality of the conversion all things considered.

9/10.

From what i've heared, this isn't close to the PC version at all. (And this is where I get quite nerdy. So if you don't like this kinda stuff, you may not want to read this post.) Unless you own a fairly lame graphics card. (About a GeForce FX 5700 or worse). This is a game that needed 256 MB of RAM, and still didn't run well. You needed around 768 MB to get it running smoothly. On top of that you wanted a DirectX 9 based graphics card. Which most normal people don't have. And then at least 1.2 Ghz on your CPU, which most people do.

Provided you had these things, the game looked so good I couldn't possibly describe it to you unless you played it yourself. A team at valve spent over a year dumbing the game down, optimising the engine, editing the levels, and even implimenting a streaming engine like the one in the GTA games. Even now, the game runs at 30 FPS and there are heavy framerate drops in the more intense battles.

I mean, granted, if you're not a hardcore PC gamer. You probably will think the graphics are amazing. But most PC gamers will laugh when they see the Xbox version. It's running at 620x480 (The lowest resolution you'll ever want to go). The result of which is some of the worst aliasing (or craggies) i've ever seen. And it really doesn't look as great as it should do. The Xbox version looks about just over half of what the PC version can, provided you have an 850XT. And with HDR lighting to be added soon, the game will get a massive graphical boost.

I will conceed one vital point however. Paying £30-40 for the Xbox version, as poor as it might look. Is still much better than paying hundreds for new computer components. It's just that I personally, play games a lot, and so graphics are actually very important to me. I absolutely hate looking at a game that doesn't even have something as simple as bump-mapping. It just depends on your preferences.

Another point however is that if you do buy the Xbox version, you miss out on a lot. You miss out on all the source engine games, HL2: Deathmatch, Counter-Strike Source, Day of Defeat Source, Lost Coast, and more importantly; every one of the hundreds of mods that will be made. That's a great reason to buy for PC. You don't just get one game, you get potentially hundreds, just by paying for one.

All that said, HL2 is one of the most amazing games ever. And I think i'm gonna go play it now. Oh wait, Steam is updating. (Anyone who plays it on PC will know how annoying that is)

Well, I invested wisely instead, I found Halo 2 for 15 Euros, Prince of Persia - Warrior within for 15 and Lego Star Wars for 17, so pretty damn good purchasing, if I may say so myself. I have Halo 1 already so buying the multipack would be a bit of a waste, but thanks for the reccomendation.