Major Backstage situation on SmackDown

Dutt

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- There was a major shake up in the SmackDown storyline plans at the tapings on 11/22 in England. Randy Orton was supposed to win and take the title from the injured Batista, however that’s not how things went down.

With the talk of putting Randy Orton up against several baby faces for a long run as champion, Batista volunteered to work through his rehab, and get in the ring for large shows. WWE decided to keep the title on him for showing this kind of dedication.

The plan was for Orton to square off against The Undertaker in a Hell In The Cell to headline Armageddon. However, with Batista refusing to take any time off, those plans seem to be out the window.

It doesn’t look like anyone told Batista to do it, but that he did so both out of gratitude for everything the company has done for him, and also so he doesn’t lose his top spot at all the PPVs which is a big money deal.

The big problem for WWE management with this is that Batista is working with a torn lat, after volunteering not to have surgery because of how long he would be out, while at the same time the company is trying to get a handle on the painkiller situation.

So no HIAC now..

Looks like that little stunt they pulled on SmackDown might just be a last minute decision to get rid of 'Taker for a bit afterall, seeing as the match has been seemingly scrapped, well for now anyway, at least the door is open there

It doesn’t look like anyone told Batista to do it, but that he did so both out of gratitude for everything the company has done for him

Yeah and that he doesn't want to lose any money or the title, Jeez so Big Dave will take painkillers now, after all that has happened recently?

man smackdown is hurting think of who could take the title

Eddies gone-R.I.P

Orton wont get it for a while

Takers constantly on vacation

benoit and booker are busy with the best of seven

Who is there besides JBL

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... It's just three simple words people:

Fu Na Ki

Smackdown's number one announcer could just as easily be Smackdown's number one wrestler.

• Like 1

I have to say, I've been astonished at the lack of praise of Big Dave. The muscle that connects his shoulders/arms to his back completely coiled up. Remember how long HHH was out of action when the same thing happened to his quad? Remember that the original estimate of when Batista would be back was around 6 months? Remember that anyone who had this injury is barely able to around their back/shoulder/arms without experiencing excruciating pain? The fact that Batista is not only willing to take bumps regularly with this industry, as well as try to work through it is really admirable and he deserves a hell of a lot of praise. People can say that it was his own fault that his muscles are more susceptible to this kinda thing via use of steroids or that he's only doing it to keep earning the money of a champion, but I think it's amazing that he's prepared to carry on working. Shame that no one else seems to have mentioned it.

Firstly Funaki is one word with three syllables.

I know... it's somewhat of an American joke I guess. Sorry, it doesn't translate all the way over to Konoha village. I tell you one thing though, the people in Sunagakure would've gotten it. :P

Edited by Twig
  • Like 1

I have to say' date=' I've been astonished at the lack of praise of Big Dave. The muscle that connects his shoulders/arms to his back completely coiled up. Remember how long HHH was out of action when the same thing happened to his quad? Remember that the original estimate of when Batista would be back was around 6 months? Remember that anyone who had this injury is barely able to around their back/shoulder/arms without experiencing excruciating pain? The fact that Batista is not only willing to take bumps regularly with this industry, as well as try to work through it is really admirable and he deserves a hell of a lot of praise. People can say that it was his own fault that his muscles are more susceptible to this kinda thing via use of steroids or that he's only doing it to keep earning the money of a champion, but I think it's amazing that he's prepared to carry on working. Shame that no one else seems to have mentioned it.[/quote']

Agreed. How on earth he has managed to give Big Show spine busters too is beyond me.

Batista :worship

I have to say' date=' I've been astonished at the lack of praise of Big Dave. The muscle that connects his shoulders/arms to his back completely coiled up. Remember how long HHH was out of action when the same thing happened to his quad? Remember that the original estimate of when Batista would be back was around 6 months? Remember that anyone who had this injury is barely able to around their back/shoulder/arms without experiencing excruciating pain? The fact that Batista is not only willing to take bumps regularly with this industry, as well as try to work through it is really admirable and he deserves a hell of a lot of praise. People can say that it was his own fault that his muscles are more susceptible to this kinda thing via use of steroids or that he's only doing it to keep earning the money of a champion, but I think it's amazing that he's prepared to carry on working. Shame that no one else seems to have mentioned it.[/quote']

Amazing yes, but isn't it a tad stupid surely?

The injury could get worse, or worse case scenario, he could cripple himself by not healing properly and just roiding up aka Dynamite Kid.

Credit for going through it, but for his own health, its not the wisest choice.

Yeah, i agree also, but i can see why he would go through it, the roster is already thin, and to be honest, he's 40, he doesnt have much longer to go in terms of shelflife realistically, and im sure he wouldnt want to end up like Flair, or Hogan, holding on cos its all they've got (famous last words?) so i could see why he would grasp this opportunity, but hope it doesnt end his carreer sooner.....

I'll credit him for his guts, but he's an idiot for doing it.

That is the nature of the business, always has been always will be. It's the reason why so many wrestlers careers are cut short, it's the reason why steroids and painkillers are so regularly used which is part of the reason why so many wrestelers end up crippled or barely mobile in later years in their life(If they're are lucky enough to get past 45 and reach the later years.)

I wish he would take time off, even if to just rest it a bit. Firstly, there isn't much he can do with an injury like that, and secondly, if he'd dropped the belt to Orton, then we'd have seen the Hell In A Cell, which would have been a great match and it would also mean they wouldn't have needed to

kill off Taker... again

No way should Bobby Lashley be in the title picture right now. He looks like a very good future prospect but pushing him before he's ready will backfire Randy Orton style.

Im not saying i want him pushed, just saying hes a option for SD, because the title picture on SD is really stale at the moment.