King of the Ring? Should they bring it back?

MojoPogo

I've always missed it, because when it was good it always seemed to give mid carders a boost in their status, ie Edge, Christian, even Kurt Angle all received big pushes just after winning it, i reckon it would be way of taking a looking at promising mid carders and seeing who can take the next step! Any thoughts?

It always drew a weak buyrate in comparison to the other Big 4 PPVs of Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Summerslam and Survivor Series. The tournament deal had been done to death and the same set of midcarders wrestling so many times on a big PPV had no major appeal. I can certainly see why they ended it, but I still think that there was potential to make it a pretty special show like the Rumble if they continued with the theme of the tournament winner becomes the number one contender.

I'd like to see them do two tournaments' date=' one Raw and one Smackdown and have the finals of each at the KOTR, and then have the winners face off later on in the night. Then the winner gets a title shot at Summerslam.[/quote']

Sounds like a good idea. Don't mention it to WWE creative though, it'll probably get laughed at by Steph and the "creative" team.

For me this is like the whole calendar of WWE....they should, right from the beginning, kept with the big, unique events that were different from the other monthly PPVs.

Royal Rumble...sure, that is maintained.

King of the Ring....should be the whole 8 man tournament on the night, with the draw made at the start of the PPV. No.1 Contender for Summerslam as the reward.

Survivor Series...........should be, as in the old days, purely classic elimination matches, with the Sole Survivor finale at the end, ala '90.

Run of the mill PPVs throughout the year are all well and good, but when you have the perfect opportunity for these PPVs that are a bit different, I've never understood why the WWE get rid and minimise these events.

Problem for me is that bar about 2/3 examples' date=' it didn't actually elevate anyone, thus making it useless.[/quote']

I beg to differ there Dra. According to OWW results the winners (since 1993) are as follows :-

1993 - Bret Hart

1994 - Owen Hart

1995 - Mabel

1996 - Steve Austin

1997 - Hunter Hearst Helmsley

1998 - Ken Shamrock

1999 - Billy Gunn

2000 - Kurt Angle

2001 - Edge

2002 - Brock Lesnar

I've highlighted in bold the ones that failed to make main event status but the rest were all deserving of the success they received. Now I'm not saying that KOTR solely contributed to the success but I'd say it helped.

1993 - Bret Hart

1994 - Owen Hart

1995 - Mabel

1996 - Steve Austin

1997 - Hunter Hearst Helmsley

1998 - Ken Shamrock

1999 - Billy Gunn

2000 - Kurt Angle

2001 - Edge

2002 - Brock Lesnar

Of those, it helped Mabel, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar in a big way.

Bret was already a main eventer and had already been WWE champion. He helped the tournament, not the other way around.

Owen, again, was already perceived as a main threat and had been feuding with Bret since January. The KOTR merely gave him a title shot in a feud we all knew he'd win anyway. He went nowhere afterwards.

Mabel got a big push and a title match - the KOTR helped him. He simply didn't help himself.

Austin didn't get over by winning the tournament. He got over through a victory speech, and he could have invented the Austin 3:16 line in any situation. He also didn't get a big break in the company until November with Bret Hart.

HHH could be argued as a success, and it led to a great feud where Foley made him more of a star than he had/has any right to be. However, he didn't become over until turning face in April 1998 and didn't main event until over a year later, by which time his KOTR win was completely forgotten.

Shamrock, they tried to make seem like he was a big deal, but nothing happened, and he was still midcarding until he left in 99/00.

Billy Gunn, the less said the better.

Angle, definately added to his resume for the whole debut year thing. SWo yes, I'll give that one.

Edge, merely set up a split with Christian. Didn't main event until 2004 and even then, and now, he's still a glorified upper midcarder at best.

Lesnar, definately. No doubts.

Of those, it helped Mabel, Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar in a big way.

Bret was already a main eventer and had already been WWE champion. He helped the tournament, not the other way around.

Owen, again, was already perceived as a main threat and had been feuding with Bret since January. The KOTR merely gave him a title shot in a feud we all knew he'd win anyway. He went nowhere afterwards.

Mabel got a big push and a title match - the KOTR helped him. He simply didn't help himself.

Austin didn't get over by winning the tournament. He got over through a victory speech, and he could have invented the Austin 3:16 line in any situation. He also didn't get a big break in the company until November with Bret Hart.

HHH could be argued as a success, and it led to a great feud where Foley made him more of a star than he had/has any right to be. However, he didn't become over until turning face in April 1998 and didn't main event until over a year later, by which time his KOTR win was completely forgotten.

Shamrock, they tried to make seem like he was a big deal, but nothing happened, and he was still midcarding until he left in 99/00.

Billy Gunn, the less said the better.

Angle, definately added to his resume for the whole debut year thing. SWo yes, I'll give that one.

Edge, merely set up a split with Christian. Didn't main event until 2004 and even then, and now, he's still a glorified upper midcarder at best.

Lesnar, definately. No doubts.

Agree with that. KOTR made helped Lesnar big time. Although anyone can get over with the correct booking anyway the KOTR especially with the added ' the winner gets a title shot' stipulation is a very effective way of pushing any midcarder/upper midcarder into a main event run even if its only for 3-6 months to see how they cope.

Right now i believe the KOTR could be incorporated well into the brand split.

4 guys from Raw- Benjamin,Carlito,Masters,RVD

4 guys from SD- Lashley,Kennedy,Rey,Orton

Guys like Orton and RVD it may not benefit as much but it adds that little more credibility to the competition. Add a solid main event to this and surely we it would draw better that GAB 2006!

I say bring back KOTR July 2006 with the winner getting a title shot at Summerslam.

So it looks as though we're of the opinion its a good idea then? Good to see, seems you're an intelligent bunch! I feel there's more to wwe talent than the big guys who constantly get given often unjustified pushes, and would simply like to see other, better deserving workers (whoever they may be) get given a chance, either via this format, or something else. Just i feel it worked before, so why couldnt it work again?

king of the ring was great in the begining, seeing Bret Hart winnning the first one, by defeating razor ramon, mr pefect and bam bam bigelow in one night, a classic ppv. It was an chance for a mid card preformer to make a name for themselves and advance them up the rank to main event status