Heyman Laughed at by Creative Team

Edgemaster006

In a situation we have covered many times in the last few weeks, Paul Heyman's contract with WWE is expiring at the end of this year. Heyman's current deal with the WWE sees him make around $250,000 a year and it is seen as a very high deal for someone who just writes TV tapings for Ohio Valley Wrestling. There are two sides to his current situation. One side has stated that WWE has no real interest in offering Heyman a new deal and some recent reports have mentioned that when tapes of OVW TV hit WWE Headquarters, members of the RAW and SmackDown creative team often make fun of it (this includes Stephanie McMahon, which is no surprise since she is not a fan of Heyman's and was one of the main reasons he was removed from the SmackDown writing team). The other side is that while WWE may not offering Heyman as big of a deal as he has right now, they may offer him higher pay than TNA could in order to keep him from jumping there.

From what ive seen his OVW bookings are really good.

Maybe he'll go to TNA? Just picture him replacing Zybysko!

While Heyman could certainly give some personalities and character to the X Division workers, I can't see him going to TNA. He'd be asking for a ton of money to work there, and I can't see guys like Scott D'Amore or Mike Tenay willing to step down from the booking committee just to accomodate Heyman. That scenario isn't even considering the fact that Heyman has a screenplay that he's very keen on getting made into a movie/TV series and will probably be done with wrestling as soon as his WWE contract expires.

I certainly think he could add something to the current TNA product in the quality and logic of the booking, but it just seems very unlikely to me that this'll ever happen.

My opinion is that TNA should go all out to tempt Paul E to go and write for them, book for them and produce for them. The man is a genius and I agree with Dra that he shouldn't be remembered for just his "hardcore" stuff. He could improve TNA's product massively. I'm not saying it needs improving but if you can add an extra something..............................ya know?

Heyman's OVW stuff is extremely overrated. Apart from the Jeter feud, the rest has been complete, and utter sh*t. If TNA want to spend that much money on him, good luck, but if that booking his anything to go by, goodbye TNA. It would be a waste.

Wyndorf is right - Sign some name's. It'd the only way to guarentee getting new fans. Obviously with WWE that's going to be hard, but they should try and get Sting or maybe even Brock.

TNA should really be spending their money on main event wrestlers, not a booker.

Heyman could pen the greatest storylines ever and sure, it would please the TNA faithful, but I doubt it would get more people to watch the shows.

Heyman's strengths go beyond just saying "Hey, let's have wrestler 1 Vs wrestler 2 in a match". He books around wrestlers' weaknesses. He gives characters and gimmicks that have a chance of getting over to workers. Look at how well someone like The Sandman was protected in ECW. Was he made to work 20 minute main event matches using just his in-ring skills to get over? No, he was aided in every single minute he was on TV by great booking. He worked a gimmick that the fans could relate to, because it was essentially Sandman's own personality. Heyman knew he couldn't wrestle technical classics, so he was given the Singapore Cane and told to go nuts with it.

Now, what most people would say is TNA's biggest problem is that their shows are just match after match after match. There's no depth to any of the wrestlers, you don't get to know anything about them which makes it impossible to have empathy for them. What's Austin Aries' gimmick in TNA? What has he done apart from put on some decent matches? Nothing. That's not going to draw people in time and time again. Heyman would give him a character and time to develop. Soon enough, with Heyman's smart booking, people would care about Austin Aries more than they do now, when he's just a short guy in black trunks who does 450 Splashes.

The X Division is filled with bland personalities, and Heyman is excellent at creating characters for talented wrestlers, allowing them to get over. Heyman would be a huge success for TNA in the long run and allow them to create many, many more new stars if allowed to work his way. For proof, see ECW and see the rave reviews for the current OVW product. Compare that to signing someone like Scott Steiner. He'd be on TV for a few months, put on some barely passable matches and hardly affect the overall quality of the TV show. That's not going to do anything major to TNA.

I would love to see Heyman's skills be put to great use in TNA, but I just don't see it happening where he's in a position that he's already earned a lot of cash through WWE and wouldn't be prepared to take a pay cut when he's got dreams of getting into Hollywood.

Heyman's OVW stuff is extremely overrated. Apart from the Jeter feud' date=' the rest has been complete, and utter sh*t. If TNA want to spend that much money on him, good luck, but if that booking his anything to go by, goodbye TNA. It would be a waste.[/quote']

Daniel Puder and ken Kennedy wish to disagree with you.

And y'know.. turning Lashley from a nobody into the biggest babyface in the place.

I completley agree' date=' Russ. But I still don't think giving the X-Division a personality is going to draw new fans. Yes, it'll improve the show and I'd take Heyman over Steiner anyday, but sadly, in my opinion Steiner would boost the ratings far more than Heyman.[/quote']

hmm i dont know... apparently alot of people now dislike Steiner after his WWE run.. and Heyman has the ECW fanbase, OVW fans would watch to see what its like

Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but a short time ago, wasn't TNA considering putting Jeff Jarrett on their booking team? I think Heyman would be a step in the right direction.[/quote']

i think he already is on the booking team.. at the moment Scott D'Amore is head booker but they were thinking of making Jarret head booker.. boy would that be suicide... almost as bad as Steph:D

Heyman is a fantastic booker and hopefully can put TNA back on track, as frankly I think they have an appauling product at the minute. The whole show looks and feels like WCW just before they went under. Signing Steiner would be a horrible idea, he is a ****ing dreadful steroidmuncher, and an old one at that. Heyman, after showing what he did with Kennedy, Lashley et all may be able to help turn some new talent into main event wrestlers... and that's what I would like to see more than Scott "damned if I can do that hurricanrana now" Steiner.

Now, what most people would say is TNA's biggest problem is that their shows are just match after match after match. There's no depth to any of the wrestlers, you don't get to know anything about them which makes it impossible to have empathy for them. What's Austin Aries' gimmick in TNA? What has he done apart from put on some decent matches? Nothing. That's not going to draw people in time and time again. Heyman would give him a character and time to develop. Soon enough, with Heyman's smart booking, people would care about Austin Aries more than they do now, when he's just a short guy in black trunks who does 450 Splashes.

The X Division is filled with bland personalities, and Heyman is excellent at creating characters for talented wrestlers, allowing them to get over.

If I can say "in my view" without being sued by Jim Ross Unltd, the big problem with getting ANY characters in TNA over--regardless of division--is the lack of TV time in the course of a week. You've got one hour to set up the next PPV angles, do promos with the guys already fairly well-known, etc., and it just doesn't leave much time for a promo or video package pushing anyone else. Next time they get a Thursday night special, they should really consider shaving a few minutes off the Rhyno/3-D type matches, and devote them to Lance Hoyt, Alex Shelley or whomever they feel are the key players not too familiar to the casual fans.

They also desperately need mouthpieces (manager types) to speak for some of these guys who are great wrestlers but can't talk worth diddly. James Mitchell sure as hell isn't the answer. Personally, considering what they're lacking, I'd rather see them get Jim Cornette than Paul...and either way, I would be sure they were brought in to be IN FRONT of the camera, as well.