Can a Crowd make an Event?

Mr Kennedy

Can a crowd make an event or match?

An Example,

Would the Jericho Cena match at Summerslam 05, been as good as it was if the crowd weren't duelling with there Lets go Cena, Lets go Jericho chants?

I was 100% behind Jericho then mind..

Say for intance.. Snitsky and Chris Masters in a match, if the crowd was electric during the match, would it get a good review even though it would most likely be a borefest?

comments?

I love the duelling crowd chants. It seems to happen at every TNA PPV and ROH events that Ive watched as well. It certainly makes the match more enjoyable, if the crowd gets into it.

I was at Summerslam 2005, it came off much better in the arena than it did on TV and was behind Jericho in those chants also.

Not sure if you liked the ECW ONS PPV' date=' I am presuming you did, would you still hold the PPV as one of your favourites if the crowd was dead. I wouldn't personally.[/quote']

I can see where your coming from, and I'd probably agree to a point. If I see something I enjoy in a wrestling show, then I like it, obivously the crowd generate a better atmosphere for the viewers and performers, but they don't make a bad PPV into a good PPV.

If for example, WWE Great American Bash 2004 had a crowd which were so into the PPV [much like the fans at One Night Stand] it would still be a crap PPV, with crap matches on the show.

I say they can have a heavy influence on how well the match goes. At Summer Slam 2004, the booing of Eugene and Edge (who was supposed to be a face at the time) and the Mexican Wave during the Undertaker/JBL match made it a little worse (even though it was quite funny). Also WWE does change the sound on TV tapings so it seems the face gets more cheers and the heels get more boos. It makes a difference but not much.

It really depends on the match.

Take Rock vs Hogan at WM-X8, without the crowd it would have been an incredibly average match, but because the crowd was SUPER-HOT, it became an utterly amazing experience.

I was one of the MANY people in the crowd cheering for Hogan, and it really made the Hulkster up his game with the crowd so hot for him.

So, if you've got a great match, the audience doesn't matter, but they can elevate an average match.

IMO absolutely.

I mean look at Rock/Hogan WM 18, the wrestling match wasn't a 5 star but it wasn't crep either, it was a normal match. But what made it so great was the crowd turning on Rock and cheering their longs out for Hogan and when they did the face offs eye to eye, the crowd reaction gave me goosebumps.

So can the crowd make an event ? Hell Yeah.

Yes, if the crowd is hot they can make the match seem good even if it is average.

The crowd made Hogan, Warrior and Austin matches seem like they were the best matches ever.

In Sheffield when Randy done 2 RKO's in a row the crowd went nuts, it was like being back in 2001 and Austin. The crowd made that for me and I think Randy can produce the same effect as Austin just because of that move. Im not saying for definite but he has as much chance as anyone especially with such an instant move as the RKO.

Its a shame that he/wwe push the move more than they do Randy. It should build its own potency.

Not forgetting, hot crowds make the wrestlers step their game up. If the crowd is quiet, there's less playing to the crowd, less wanting to put on a great show, etc. If the crowd is super hot, the guys play to the crowd more and have a lot more fun, which makes the match on a technical level even better too.

Example here is Jericho/HBK at WM19. Jericho did the kip-up and got a load of cheers for it, and you could see his face light up because the crowd loved it, so he hammed it up more with the flexing pose which the crowd loved more. It elevates everyone involved. Or in Goldberg/Lesnars case, it hides the fact that it was a subpar match.

IMO absolutely.

I mean look at Rock/Hogan WM 18, the wrestling match wasn't a 5 star but it wasn't crep either, it was a normal match. But what made it so great was the crowd turning on Rock and cheering their longs out for Hogan and when they did the face offs eye to eye, the crowd reaction gave me goosebumps.

So can the crowd make an event ? Hell Yeah.

What really made the Hogan vs Rock match for me was the "Rocky Sucks" chant.

Hell yeah, i've got one classic example, one night stand! Yeah, ok, it wasnt officially a wwe event, but still, as its owned by, the crowd that night were unbelievable! Does the younger wrestlers a power of good to see their efforts being appreciated, if you take a close look at Randy over the last few shows, even though he's a heel, watch his face if theres an RKO chant or even just one person encouraging him.....very interesting!

What really made the Hogan vs Rock match for me was the "Rocky Sucks" chant.

And who made those chants ? The crowd.

Like DraVen said, it makes them step up there game. It's not the same when you'r wretling and nobody gives a **** than when you'r wrestling and the crowd gets involved in it, start to cheer/boo.