Wireless Laptop advice?

Dan

Could anyone help me, I'm thinking about getting a laptop, and wondered what I would need to have it wireless connected to the internet. The laptop i was looking at has a 1.3 GHz celeron mobile processor, but what else would I need?

I'm sure TWO has some IT guru guys who could advise me?

We're in the same boat, Dan. wyndorf and I are getting a laptop, we've bought a modem with built in wireless router, but after much fun and games, any help here too would be appreciated. Do we need to wait until we have the laptop to install this device thingy? We have a speedtouch modem, do we use this one, or swap this for the new one? :?

You would need a wireless router and then a wireless card to insert into the laptop. There is no reason that having a wireless connection should slow down your connection speed, unlessyou have more than one computer running off of it, i think that may slow it down, not sure though.

One question I always have about wireless - if my connection is a 2mb one (and it's supposed to be) will a wireless modem allow me to use it at full speed?

If you get 54G or above, then definitely.

Think about this - 54G is meant to run at upto 54mb, and if you get one of the 100+ ones, then you've got a possible 100mb network connection.

So, unless you get a 100+mb connection, you'll definitely be online at "full" speed.

We've got a uninstalled, 125 Mbps modem router thingy mi jig, so if I wanted to play X-Box LIVE, talk on my phone, surf the net on my PC, surf the net on a laptop and play Mario Kart with some German dude on my DS all at the same time, in theroy this should work, right?