Question regarding Eddies death?

carlito is cool

Don't no whether this is the right place to post this but i will anyway.

Eddie Guerrero's death was in all fairness down to his own stupidity. Years of drink and drug abuse aswell as anabolic steroid abuse.

Now i think the reaction everyone gave when he passed away was great i thought it a tragic loss and the guy deserved to be shown respect which he was.

We didn't talk about how it was his own fault, through years of abusing himself, we mourned his death and paid tribute to what a great performer he was.

However when another sporting legend George Best dies 75% of the posts ive read are negative talking about his alcohol abuse and how it was his own fault he died!

WTF!!! Why one rule for one and one rule for another? Why not show the man the respect he deserves?

No-one went and tore into Eddie for his drinking,painkiller and steroid abuse which ultimately lead to his death so why do that to George Best?

Just wondering how the people that payed there respects to Eddie without mentioning his problems couldn't do the same for George Best?

• Like 1

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No-one went and tore into Eddie for his drinking,painkiller and steroid abuse which ultimately lead to his death so why do that to George Best?

Just wondering how the people that payed there respects to Eddie without mentioning his problems couldn't do the same for George Best?

Please go and re-read the "Eddie" thread - quite a few people posted about it.

Actually alot of us did say that his death WAS down to his abusing drink and certain drugs but he beat his addiction in the end without needing transplants or anything, however the damage had obviously been done. Best on the other hand was still drinking after recieving a new liver and being told he had to stop drinking or die. I also have no sympathy with a wife beater at all.

I may well be diving straight into the deep end here without doing my homework, so apologies if the following is incorrect...

But didn't George Best know he was ill, but still continue to drink? Whereas Eddie on the other hand, was (apparently) clean from drugs and drink for 4 years

Granted, they are deaths caused under similar circumstances, but i think the tragedy from Guerrero's point of view is that his life was going in the right direction when he passed away

I may well be diving straight into the deep end here without doing my homework, so apologies if the following is incorrect...

But didn't George Best know he was ill, but still continue to drink? Whereas Eddie on the other hand, was (apparently) clean from drugs and drink for 4 years

Granted, they are deaths caused under similar circumstances, but i think the tragedy from Guerrero's point of view is that his life was going in the right direction when he passed away

Eddie was still pumping steroids though which is going to have increased the pressure on his heart 10 fold!

I have nothing but respect for Guerrero for 1. being a great performer and 2. for beating his personal problems and trying to sort his life out.

I also have nothing but respect for george best and just because his demons got the better of him doesn't make him any less of a legend to me. I respect him as a talent, and he seemed like a genuinely decent man. Yes he was wild at times but for god sakes he has just suffered a long and unfortunately painful death, im sure he didn't enjoy being an alcoholic who would?

I have no problems with people saying he brought it on himself because its true, but to come out with statements like 'no sympathy for the man' or ' he deserved it' its totally uncalled for and just a damn right lack of respect.

I mean for crying out loud this is George best we are talking about the man deserves to be shown respect not torn into for having a drink problem!

For Gods' sake, go back and read the Eddie thread.

People said that it was Eddie's own fault.

If you won't go and read what people posted, then how can you comment on it?

Ive read the thread!!! 95% positive

George best thread 95% negative

Both were greats, both had demons, both died ultimately because of those demons.

Maybe if Eddie hadn't put the extra pressure on his heart through the steroid abuse he would still be alive? So did he ever truly conquer all his demons? Maybe not. Yet he recieved on the whole a very positive response.

Unfortunately some dicks on here couldn't give the same positive respons to Besty because his demons became to much for him.

I mean for crying out loud this is George best we are talking about the man deserves to be shown respect not torn into for having a drink problem!

I've never seen George Best play football, I have no interest in football. Why should I respect George Best anymore than I respect the bloke that wipes the Queen's arse? He doesn't deserve my respect, he has done nothing to earn it. Just like he never respected you and didn't care about you one bit.

George Best jumped over a long line of people waiting for a liver transplant, just because he's George Best. To recieve that liver and to go out and publicly destroy it is disgracful!

If you don't like football and have a go at Best, don't have a go at those who don't like wrestling and say similar things about Eddie. EG: ESPN guy.

Yes, Eddie overcoming his demons was extraordinary, I have unlimited respect for him for that, but Eddie had wrestling to go back to, he had a wife to get back to who he loved so much. Best wasn't in his prime recently, he only had a few true friends, money grabbing supermodels and the press who would never leave him alone.

If you don't like football, why are you commenting on a football legend? I don't like squash, so I wouldn't have a go at a squash legend who died in unfortunate circumstances, would I?

George Best didn't play football in your lifetime, why are you commenting about it?

You never went out on the piss with George Best, why are you commenting?

You don't know me from Larry, why are you commenting about my post?

You're argument is ridiculous.

I also think the fact that Eddie was only 38 when he died and George was nearly 60 also plays a part. Eddie's death was more sudden and unexpected whereas George has been "dying" for some time because he couldn't give up the drink. But IMO, the main fact is that George Best was given a "second chance" when he had the liver transplant but couldn't reform his character whereas Eddie G didn't get the second chance but still turned his life around.

George Best didn't play football in your lifetime, why are you commenting about it?

You never went out on the piss with George Best, why are you commenting?

You don't know me from Larry, why are you commenting about my post?

You're argument is ridiculous.

Wyndorf you disrespectful pillock, someone has just died a, someone who meant alot to alot of people. Don't come on here and slate the guy as youv'e said yourself you never knew the guy, you never saw him play football and hardly know anything about the man apart from the fact that he had a drink problem.

George Best reached heights the likes of me and you could only dream of in his chosen proffession. He was a loving dad. And on most accounts a good man. But hang on he had a drink problem! Holy **** this guy must be a waste of space.

Im glad i don't really know people like you.

Are we not allowed to defend someone who is a legend at the club we support or the game we love? All we're saying is don't fill RIP George Best threads with 'Meh' date=' I couldn't give a damn'. It's not clever, it's just disrespectful.[/quote']

I wasn't being disrespectful, I was giving my opinion on George Best. Much like I give opinons on Chris Masters and Jeff Jarrett. Am I being disrespectful to Booker T, when I say he's crap?

I wasn't being disrespectful' date=' I was giving my opinion on George Best. Much like I give opinons on Chris Masters and Jeff Jarrett. Am I being disrespectful to Booker T, when I say he's crap?[/quote']

Fair enough.

It just gets annoying when a thread about someone dying turns into a complete bashing of the man. We're not saying the guy was perfect, far from it, but he had an addiction. How many people have fallen to addiction? Please people, don't persecute the man because he was only human.

George Best jumped over a long line of people waiting for a liver transplant, just because he's George Best. To recieve that liver and to go out and publicly destroy it is disgracful!

Again, I couldn't give a flying monkey turd that Best was an alcoholic. The fact that on the very day he was released from hospital, he was photographed drinking alcohol, sitting at a pub table, in view of everyone, takes the piss out of everybody that helped him and everybody who has to pay their hard earned money towards the NHS.

Wyndorf is right. People have addictions' date=' but going to a pub the same day you were released from hospital after having a liver transplant hardly makes him look like he at least tried to overcome his addictions.[/quote']

Does that mean he doesn't deserve peoples respect. Or even if not your respect, not to be disrepected in death. Wyndorf himself admitted that he knows very little about George Best yet he will post on here nothing but critiscsm of the man. If you don't like him then don't acknolwlege the thread. I'd like to see Wyndorf go out into the real world and voice these thoughts, i doubt he would make it back behind his computer in one piece, because the majority of british people wouldn't tolerate his lack of respect for someone held in such high regard.

I think it was Hoffmeister who started the original RIP george best thread, it seemed to me a place to pay tribute to the man and show him some respect not show that you couldn't give a toss because he was a drinker.

Originally Posted by The Great Jungta in another thread.

His addiction beat George Best.Its hardly fair to go "well serves him right then doesn't it?" being an alcoholic is an illness, and just because he got a new liver, doesn't mean it magically goes away does it?

I'd place all the money in the world, that Best fought hard, and saw how his actions crumbled the world around him. Eddie's is a remarkable story, and one which should truly be acknowledged. George Best is just one of thousands to millions of people who couldn't beat his addiction. Just the fact is famous, all of a sudden means everyone seems to think they have a right to have a go at him, for not being able to beat an incredibly serious illness.

Thus if any of you lot, or die or suffer from something like that, I'm not giving you no sympathy. George Best ain't no saint, but he doesn't deserve idiots saying "he got what he deserved" when he just didn't have the power or the resolve to beat that addiction, and change a lifestyle for which he probably couldn't imagine an alternative.

Some people are way too frickin high and mighty round here, and great if you can beat all these addictions, and be a fantastic person, but some people have demons which they can never escape. People seem to forget, he's only human. And I bet he has family, and loved ones now, just hearing stuff from pr!cks, about how he deserved to die. How great in a time of mourning that must feel.

Whether you like him or not, he was a person, a friend to some, a father or a son to others, and thats the be all and end all. He couldn't beat an addiction, and paid the ultimate price.

Some people round here just don't seem to get what kind of illness it is, and how difficult it might be to escape. Saddens to me, to see such ignorance

Couldn't have said it better myself