The Non WWE Thread

wyndorf

This one's for GENE, I hope you like it buddy....

So, that TNA's kinda ok......ish.... Ring Of Honer's MUCH better, mind.....

........erm..........OK! I got it, lets compare TNA and ROH and argue until we're blue in the face over which company's better.

I'll say ROH, they have a proper wrestling ring.

RoH for me. "Lovely stuff". Those aren't my words, they're the words of Shakin' Stevens. I'm sure that's what Shakey would've said were he a wrestling fan and had been exposed to the RoH product.

TNA's fine viewing too but I find it to be "one step away" from me in terms of my connecting with what I'm looking at. I'm not sure if it's the slightly rubbish commentary (although "Chris Lovey" on RoH" is pants too); the over-bright colours and blurred picture or the feeling of it being "bottom of the biggies" as opposed to RoH's "top of the indys" feel.

ROH for me is still without doubt the best wrestling promotion in the US.

I think that TNA is trying to take the best bits from ROH and recreate in a national environment, which is certainly admirable, but still it's not got the same appeal as the original. The whole ideology behind ROH is that they're putting on excellent pure wrestling, and they're using so many talented guys, booking them to their strengths that it's just working perfectly. If you're looking for good pro-wrestling, you'll simply fall in love with the product. You have so many talented in-ring workers in the company that it's a treat to watch, but there are also guys there who can cut a great promo and work the crowd too. The booking is top notch, there's a dedicated following which usually leads to a red hot, appreciative crowd and I can't get enough of ROH. It's not for everyone, but if you watch wrestling shows to see good wrestling, you'll love it.

Outside of ROH, PWG have been on fire too, and I'm certainly looking into getting their two shows from the weekend which has a stacked card. CHIKARA is another company that has put on a lot of great wrestling in 2005 with a lot of talent who you wouldn't even see in ROH either due to politics or geographical reasons.

I honestly urge everyone registered at TWO or just browsing through to check out some American independant wrestling just to see how different it is to the crap that WWE put on every week. If you've been impressed by how TNA are trying something different, and think that their changes are a step in the right direction, watching an ROH show might just be a really enjoyable experience for you.

I think Shakey would be a huge TNA fan, but I don't have any reasons to back it up yet. I recently watched the Kobashi/Joe match from ROH and it was by far the best match of the year no doubt, ROH even released the match with no commentary which shows how good a match it really was. Of all three I prefer TNA at the moment as there are always 3 or 4 outstanding matches on every PPV. WWE is too samey these days, regurgatating the same matches every month and have nothing interesting and no "looking forward to" factor for me.

Definetly RoH.

Better storylines, better wrestling, better characters. They are what I would say are the 3 major points , when it comes to judging a wrestling company, and RoH are miles ahead of TNA is all 3.

TNA is built around the heavyweights, who are all absolute crap, which if you like wrestling, is not what you are after.

The X-Division should be renamed the "Spot Monkey Division". It's not that the workers have to wrestle that style, it's just that they do in TNA, 9 times out of ten. take AJ Styles. He can wrestle well, he knows the how to get a good rection, and he can do some good spots, yet in TNA he's limited to mainly short matches, where he will do everything he's got, and win. It's poor. The Unbreakable 3 way, had 3 good workers in, yet there was nothing to it, other than spot, after spot.

The storylines in TNA are very generic, which wouldn't be a problem for a wrestling company, but TNA isn't trying to be that. Get some good writers, and produce good storylines for the main event, not what we have seen so much in other companies.

Just so much better in every area, that counts, I think.

I haven't watched alot of RoH but what I have seen I thought it was pretty good. Its not something that I feel I could watch all the time, its just not my cup of tea, but for what it is, its worth a watch.

I picked up some DVD's and enjoyed them, and toatlly understand why so many people like RoH.

I really enjoyed the match but it definitely wasn't match of the year for me' date=' I enjoyed Kobashi vs Sasaki and Angle vs HBK more.[/quote']

I agree. It's a very good match, but no enough happens in it, and it's not long enough to bematch of the year. You have joe doing his routines, and Kobashi doing chops. It's suprising it comes together so well really.

Kobashi vs Sasaki is probably the best match I've seen in years. I'm thinking back to Royal Rumble 2003, Chris Benoit vs Kurt Angle (Which I personally loved), as the only better match I can think of.

Angle vs Michaels is very overrated. It's a good match, but nowhere near Kobashi vs Sasaki.

Well I've had a few mark out moments this year and to be honest, aside from Mania and Big Dave dropping a Kryptonite Krunch and the Demon Bomb on HHH they have all come from RoH and TNA...

Samoa Joe face to face with Kenta Kobashi (RoH)

AJ Styles dropping the Spiral Tap on Joe and Daniels at the same time (TNA)

Skipper walking the cage (TNA)

Bryan Danielson making Strong tap like a bitch when he got too cocky and rough (RoH)

CM Punk FINALLY getting his hands on the RoH Title (RoH)

Punk v Daniels in a time limit draw of great story telling and action (RoH)

Liger and Joe face to face (TNA)

Overtime Styles Clash and an epic comeback from being stuck in the Koji Clutch (TNA)

I could go on....

TNA and RoH have been the best promotions in many repects during 2005.... Shame TNA still keeps pushing over the hill heavyweights and mid carders as TNWA title holders and threats... But you can't have everything.

EDIT: Although I'd like to say this is from whats based on US soil....

Kobashi v Sasaki did rule mightly and they threw everything at each other... wow, it left me breathless... Although Nakamura v Kojima in the time limit draw was great as well. Well built and excecuted and it made two men who shouldn't work for 60 minutes look like a million bucks.

And also everyone else looking forward to the 17/12/05 RoH show? KENTA v Low Ki for the GHC Jr title and Marufuji v Danielson for the RoH title...

Now that is gonna rule.

Edited by Evil Gringo

I don't see how Angle vs HBK was overrated at all to be honest' date=' it was a classic.[/quote']

It suffered from the over useage of the Ankle Lock, the kicking out of the top rope Angle Slam, the under selling post match by Shawn of him having his ankle torn apart by Angle throughout the match and also if the match hadn't have had such good build and been at Mania then people wouldn't have been so high on it....

Where as Sasaki and Kobashi have always worked for different companies, have similar styles and historys and made extraordinary comebacks in the pasy two years....

That was a dream match and a half.

And also everyone else looking forward to the 17/12/05 RoH show? KENTA v Low Ki for the GHC Jr title and Marufuji v Danielson for the RoH title...

Don't suppose you know what date Corino and Homicide wrestle again, do you Gringo? Is it 12/3? If so, that card looks very good to me, but I can't wait for KENAT/Ki.

I've seen bits from both TNA and RoH but living here in the United Kingdom we only get The Wrestling Channel's coverage of both promotions which i think are weeks behind and it's hard to get into when it's like that.

From what i've seen TNA looks to be (as i thinks intended) an alternative to the WWE and while it took me a while to get used to their wrestling ring it looked a could product with some fine new workers who were new to me (AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Abyss etc) but also some guys who i was familiar with (The Dudleyz/Team 3D, Jeff Jarret, Sean Waltman, Raven, Rhino etc) and, for me anyway, it helps to already know a few wrestlers in a company to be able to get into it more, which i think was what they intended.

From what i've seen RoH looks to be a top notch indie promotion with some fine workers and it seems they are aiming at guys who like basically 'pure' wrestling. The bits i have seen have been poor from an audio and visual stand point but i guess that's to be expected from a indie promotion. The in-ring action was very good from the bits i have seen.

No doubt i would watch both these promotions every week if it had a regular and up-to-date timeslot on a UK channel.

Fingers crossed somebody does it. :thumbsup

pinmepayme.