United search for new shirt sponsor

RetroIC Gaming

Manchester United are searching for a new shirt sponsor after Vodafone ended their current £36million deal two years early.

Negotiations between Old Trafford executives and the telecommunications giant have resulted in a mutual decision to end the current £9million-a-year contract at the end of the season.

Red Devils commercial director Andy Anson is convinced it will actually allow the club to negotiate a better deal. "The Manchester United shirt is the most iconic in sport," he said. "The club feels that, in the current market. there is a genuine chance to attract significant additional investment."

He added: "Initial soundings and discussions with a number of world-class potential partners have been very encouraging and we are confident of securing a new deal in the coming months."

Although Vodafone did let an opt-out clause in the current deal pass without giving an indication they wished to end it, it is believed the company wish to restructure their sponsorship, with the focus likely to be on the Champions League.

However, it is also anticipated they will remain as platinum sponsors with United, who announced their intention to concentrate on attracting a core group of investors prior to the £790million Glazer buyout.

Anson has already been responsible for attracting a major sponsorship deal with German car manufacturer Audi and will now step up his search for what will be only the third shirt sponsor in United's history.

Japanese electrical firm Sharp were the first company to have their name emblazoned on the famous red strip, with their association lasting an incredible 18 years from 1982.

Although Anson is correct in his assertion United remain one of the most famous footballing names on the planet, their image has been tarnished by a relative lack of success in recent seasons and the possibility of an early exit from this year's Champions League will not help in his negotiations.

Anson will be hopeful of eclipsing the biggest current shirt sponsorship deal in English soccer, the £50million, five-year contract Chelsea have with Samsung.

From AOL Sport

They'll be an American franchise no doubt. I'm sure the money's on Microsoft as Bill Gates recently stated he was interested in the premiership as a way of expanding his empire. No better way than slap his franchise all over the biggest club in world football. Edited by JC

If this means we get rid of the current crap Nike designs then I'm all for it...

But then again I don't buy Nike so I ain't fussed. Even my love for United won' allow me to part with funds for a company that pays guards lots of money to rape the women who get paid jack all to make clothes.... and then deny it of course...

As for who sponsers us next? Well it could be anyone but if United don't finish top three or beat Benfica then I hope it someone HUGE as we are gonna need the cash to keep money problems at the nice arms length they are at the moment.

Barcalona don't "do" shirt sponsorship. :P

Barca have managed throughout their history to avoid many lucrative sponsorship deals due to the financial power of their club membership (everyone pays into the club which includes the football team, volleyball etc under the Barca banner). This year however has seen Barca adopt a sponsor on their left sleeve (a yellow box with a 3 on it). It is their first shirt sponsor.

Barca have managed throughout their history to avoid many lucrative sponsorship deals due to the financial power of their club membership (everyone pays into the club which includes the football team' date=' volleyball etc under the Barca banner). This year however has seen Barca adopt a sponsor on their left sleeve (a yellow box with a 3 on it). It is their first shirt sponsor.[/quote']

I remember reading a while back that Barcalona were thinking of finally giving in a having a shirt sponser but never knew that they had done it yet, although at least they have still resisted having a sponser on the front of the shirt...so far.

Sony would be huge for Man Utd and give us massive financal revenue...

Plus it would help Sony no end as Man Utd sell the most merchendise world wide out of the football teams in the world and if Sony's name was on that then it would no doubt boost the grip they have on sections of the electrical market.

I can see O2 sponsoring Manchester United' date=' seeing that Arsenal have a large money spinning deal with Emirates from next season. Vodafone are crazy to give up on them though I feel.[/quote']

Well the conflict of interests between United and them sponsering the UEFA CL next season left them with no choice I feel.