Best British Boxer?

Jung

Inspired by BBC's, top 10 British Boxers on their website, I'm curious to see who you reckon it is.

Most on BBC reckon its Lennox Lewis, which I totally disagree with. While he dominated his division, it was one of the worst heavyweight divisions in years, in which he primarily beat washed up guys, or just crap fighters. Put him in there with a prime Tyson, Ali, Foreman, heck even Holyfield and I reckon he'd have lost. Plus he lost in 2 ridiculous matches, because he didn't train properly.

My candidates for it would be the likes of Eubank, Henry Cooper, Nigel Benn, Naseem (although I don't like him, but he'd make the top 10), etc.

So who's yours?

I've always had a liking for Chris Eubank. In his prime, he was awesome. He was/is just so damn swarve.

You pointed out the trouble with Lewis, and I agree. Although the same could be said about 90% of heavyweight fighters, he was just so slow, I'e never seen him get out of third gear.

Naseem. You wanted to hate him cos' he was so damn cocky, but in turn he could back it up and in my opinion, pound for pound he was one of the best boxers ever.

Inspired by BBC's, top 10 British Boxers on their website, I'm curious to see who you reckon it is.

Most on BBC reckon its Lennox Lewis, which I totally disagree with. While he dominated his division, it was one of the worst heavyweight divisions in years, in which he primarily beat washed up guys, or just crap fighters. Put him in there with a prime Tyson, Ali, Foreman, heck even Holyfield and I reckon he'd have lost. Plus he lost in 2 ridiculous matches, because he didn't train properly.

My candidates for it would be the likes of Eubank, Henry Cooper, Nigel Benn, Naseem (although I don't like him, but he'd make the top 10), etc.

So who's yours?

Good to see a boxing post up here for a change.

At the moment i would say Lennox Lewis is the best boxer britain has ever seen.

Unfying the World Heavyweight title is arguably the most prestigious thing you can do in the sporting world.

He beat everyone he ever fought including the likes of Holyfield,Klitschko,Bruno,Tyson,Rahman,Golota,Tua,Botha.

You could argue Lewis case as being a top 5 heavy of all time.

Behind him there is Barry Mcguigan, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn and Prince Naseem Hamed. However none of those truly ruled their respected divisions like Lewis.

However in saying that within the next 2 years Ricky Hatton could potentially be our best ever, if he unifies the 10 stone division (currently the best in boxing) beating the likes of Mayweather and Cotto in the process he would be Number 1 for me.

I see Hatton beating Cotto but i think Mayeather would give Ricky or anyone for that matter nightmares.

Good to see a boxing post up here for a change.

At the moment i would say Lennox Lewis is the best boxer britain has ever seen.

Unfying the World Heavyweight title is arguably the most prestigious thing you can do in the sporting world.

I heard somewhere Lennox Lewis was born in Canada can anyone confirm or deny this for me?

He's British I think, but fought for Canada in the Olympics.

As for naseem? no chance. if he was that good, he would still be around. Instead, he got his flaws exposed, and ended up getting his arse kicked by a far better boxer. Even earlier on in his career, he seemed to struggle againgst guys who knew a thing or two.

I'd have to go with Lennox Lewis. people look beyond hi for the odd loss, but then again, how many boxers haven't been caught? When lewis fought them again, he beat them easily. I think Lewis will suffer form the same problem marciano has. Both great bxers, but have no-one exceptional to beat, unlike Ali who had Frazier, Liston, Foreman etc.

EDIT: Bit late there.

Yeah thats what always stops it for me, when people say Lewis. He was king in one of the worst heavyweight division in years.

The fact he only just beat Klitschko, and refused to fight him, for me, kinda shows that he's not the greatest. And as I said, put him in there against a prime Tyson, Ali, Foreman etc he'd be destroyed.

But I suppose you can only beat who's put in front of you, its just for me, he only ever faced poor opponents, or washed up ones, thus never the best in my eyes.

If Hamed had come back and beat Barrera, like Ali did with Frazier, then maybe he might be.