I'm overdosing on Take That

Nicole

Okay then...

What about Killswitch or Cradle Of Filth or any other good metal bands? They all sell less then McFly but it doesn't bother me...

As for Trivium? I don't look at the members, it's not about image for me, its about music.

And if the music isn't for you, then fine. Everyone is different.

Metallica sell less than McFly???

What about Killswitch or Cradle Of Filth or any other good metal bands? They all sell less then McFly but it doesn't bother me...

You're a little over excited with that statement, aren't you?

Korn, Disturbed, Green Day, Deftones, Marilyn Manson, Muse, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Status Quo, AC/DC, Rammstein, Placebo, Thin Lizzy.......man, I could go on for pages and pages..........Have all sold more records than McFly.

I may even believe that Cradle of Filth have sold more than them too.

The reason McFly have sold more singles than Metallica in Britain this year, is because they've released 6 or 7. Saying this, how many have they sold. These days you only need to sell 2000 singles to get to number one.

Edited by wyndorf

Neither should have Robson and Jerome but they did... Or Milli Vinilli...

But people have to realise that image and catchiness and appeal gets money more then talent and always almost has done....

In this country, maybe. Elsewhere, not true. The fact that last year there was a strong dominance of country artists in the US Billboard charts would show that. Not to mention, this country works on media rather than having all the different states and their different musical tastes factor. CD:UK would rather focus on McFly than Trivium, because they sell better. This then triggers more sales for McFly through propaganda alone. That leaves Trivium to strive on their own with any minority advertising it can get, which makes their rise this year even better than people credit it for.

And Take That still weren't as inspirational as you credit them for, because a) they weren't a new thing, and b) they weren't alone.

And Take That still weren't as inspirational as you credit them for' date=' because a) they weren't a new thing, and b) they weren't alone.[/quote']

No but they where the most succesful boy band (in that niche, not The Beatles sense if we are arguing them as well) of their period when that genre began to take off so with them as figure heads you can see why many people see them as the band that where the actual inspirational....

Just like everyone thinks the nWo where the inspiriation for invading factions in wrestling when in fact ECW did it before them and many others on US soil and world wide the Ishi-Gun of Choshu in AJPW as well in the 1980's...

This things happen, due to a key word in your last post... propaganda.

Unless I'm missing something' date=' The Beatles?[/quote']

Sorry but The Beatle's weren't a boy band...

Not in the sense of what the term means when applied to Take That, Westlife etc...

They could play instruments, they wrote all their own material, didn't audition (well Ringo did I believe) and made the frickin White Album in 1966 and Sgt Peppers in 1967...

They aren't a boy band!

Oh also, this "pop music" nonsense I hear. People shouldn't restrict "pop music" to just boybands and girl bands. I love loads of pop bands - Oasis, Pulp, Franz Ferdinand, The Beatles, Manic Street Preachers, David Bowie, T-Rex, U2, REM, etc etc all have written great pop songs.

I love a great pop song. For some reason or another over the last ten years people seem to have really narrowed down what it is to be "pop" to what seems to me to be just garbage and it's not something that sits comfortable with me.

Sorry but The Beatle's weren't a boy band...

Not in the sense of what the term means when applied to Take That, Westlife etc...

They could play instruments, they wrote all their own material, didn't audition (well Ringo did I believe) and made the frickin White Album in 1966 and Sgt Peppers in 1967...

They aren't a boy band!

If we're saying bands aren't boybands if they play their own instruments, why are you using McFly as an example of a boy band?

I'd regard a boyband as a group of handsome young guys who are aimed at young females and The Beatles, at least in their formative years were very much that. No other group has had the amount of females besotted with them as The Beatles did when they started. The Beatles that made the White Album and Sgt Pepper's weren't a boyband.

"Pop" has been turned into a word used to deride music that sells more than rock/metal/R&B/rap etc, as the people who find pop music to be crap generally can't accept that the majority of singles purchases is by 6-18 year olds.

And it is also amusing to see how "Pop" songs are ignored when it's a band that those people like. Best pop song of last year? Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out.

You're a little over excited with that statement, aren't you?

Korn, Disturbed, Green Day, Deftones, Marilyn Manson, Muse, Foo Fighters, Iron Maiden, Status Quo, AC/DC, Rammstein, Placebo, Thin Lizzy.......man, I could go on for pages and pages..........Have all sold more records than McFly.

I may even believe that Cradle of Filth have sold more than them too.

The reason McFly have sold more singles than Metallica in Britain this year, is because they've released 6 or 7. Saying this, how many have they sold. These days you only need to sell 2000 singles to get to number one.

I meant based on how they are fairing over McFly's last release etc....

Yes overall in the span of their careers they have sold more records but with the exception of Green Day, Muse and the Foo Fighters then McFly's last album out sold the other bands last releases in the UK....

If we're saying bands aren't boybands if they play their own instruments, why are you using McFly as an example of a boy band?

I'd regard a boyband as a group of handsome young guys who are aimed at young females and The Beatles, at least in their formative years were very much that. No other group has had the amount of females besotted with them as The Beatles did when they started. The Beatles that made the White Album and Sgt Pepper's weren't a boyband.

Point well made... I should really go back to the original example of Take That and their successors in Boyzone, Westlife, Five etc...

They all auditioned, didn't play instruments as such bar the Piano in some cases and in most cases didn't write their own music with the exception of Barlow writing the Take That lyrics and music being added in after based loosely on his demo versions....

Thats what I'd consider a boy band to be, a manufactered group. Where as The Beatles (and The Stones to an extent as well in their early career) weren't manufactured at all.

They paid their dues like any band.

No but they where the most succesful boy band (in that niche' date=' not The Beatles sense if we are arguing them as well) of their period when that genre began to take off so with them as figure heads you can see why many people see them as the band that where the actual inspirational....[/quote']

I'd agree to a point, but even though they were the first 5 piece UK boy band around (otherwise I'd argue that Bros came first), they were set up solely to become UKs version of New Kids On The Block. If there was any other reason, I'd give them more credit, but alas.

Who could forget such classics as:

Could it be magic

It only takes a minute

Everything changes

Pray

Babe

Relight my fire

I had almost succeeded until I read this topic... damn you!

As for Pop music, sure it's meant to mean 'popular music' but I don't think that it really does any more. now it means the manufactured stuff like pop idol and Britney Speares and other singers that don't write or produce, not ARTISTS like Christina Aguilera (second album), Eminem, Franz Ferdinand and 5.6.7.8's

No joke, just downloaded the new greatest hits collection.

Who could forget such classics as:

Could it be magic

It only takes a minute

Everything changes

Pray

Babe

Relight my fire

Yes, I'm reverting to being a six year old, and when I go to sixth form party next week, I'm requesting take that for retro value.

All together now...."Could it be magic...NOW"

:sick quick! see a shrink before this takes hold of your life :D

Take That were talented performers' date=' nothing more, nothing less. Its not as though they wrote anything or did anything origional (in terms of what they achieved).[/quote']

Gary Barlow was a talented songwriter.

Owen, Orange, and the other one were and are awful, and were just right place at the right time.

Robbie, got lucky with angels, is in the crap now Guy Chambers has gone, as his new songs aren't even in the same league as his first 2 or 3 albums, and is technically living off stuff he did 5 years ago. He's the musical equivalent of HHH. Hasn't actually done that much in the last 4 years or so, still headlines major events, but in terms of new things and actual content, its a bit crap.

He best hope he gets some creative juices flowing soon, cause his new album's crap, the one before that was crap, and he's just not in touch with current music it seems. But he's lucky to have the likes of Angels and Let Me Entertain You in the back catalogue.

Still it has to be said...

No Regrets is Robbie Williams best ever song...

At least Take That (and it's break up) gave us that.

In fact I could listen to Robbie's first two albums quite easily... But like Jung pointed out, From Sing When Your Winning onwards, well, he hasn't been as great.

Gary Barlow was a talented songwriter.

Owen, Orange, and the other one were and are awful, and were just right place at the right time.

Robbie, got lucky with angels, is in the crap now Guy Chambers has gone, as his new songs aren't even in the same league as his first 2 or 3 albums, and is technically living off stuff he did 5 years ago. He's the musical equivalent of HHH. Hasn't actually done that much in the last 4 years or so, still headlines major events, but in terms of new things and actual content, its a bit crap.

He best hope he gets some creative juices flowing soon, cause his new album's crap, the one before that was crap, and he's just not in touch with current music it seems. But he's lucky to have the likes of Angels and Let Me Entertain You in the back catalogue.

I love his new album!

im not a fan of robbie williams (not his recent stuff anyway) but Take That are a lot better than people give them credit for. Gary Barlow is an incredible song writer (not just lyrics he composed the music for the songs too) who has since written for christina aguilera, steps and other bands. Mark Owen has had a singles career doing a very different style than you would imagine a former boy band member would have, he's not the strongest singer but he can hold a tune and has written some fantastic songs since leaving the band, Four Minuite Warning was an excelent song. Jason and Howard aren't good singers but they could dance and added something different to the band. No matter what you say about Boy Bands at least Take That had a bunch of talented people, even if they werent great singers they all had some sort of talent. The only way you'd deny that is to try and look "cool" by hating anything slightly mainstream. If you dont like them thats cool, but they were a very talented band... especially talented compared to the boy bands that followed. Back For Good imo is one of if not the best pop song of the past 20 years.