The non Eddie thread

MartynJ

Even though i loved the guy, its time to move on in this forurm, everything i read about is depressing now, i mean even though im proper gutted about his death and i even shedded some tears myself which im not ashamed of because he was a good man and respected by millions of people and will live on in our memorys

But

Time for new subject?

Somebody start something off then we can debate, argue, and get back into the usual forum ways

I'll start it off, is it better been a Mark or a Smark?

I'll start it off' date=' is it better been a Mark or a Smark?[/quote']

I can't be the only one who hates the terms 'mark' and especially 'smark' can I?

But anyway, for me, as much as people on the internet like to laugh at so called 'marks', personally I would much rather be a 'mark' again. I loved wrestling so much more when I didn't know how everything worked. It is basically the equivalent of finding out there is no Santa Claus (I hate to be the one to break that to people), wrestling lost its magic when I found out all the ins and outs of it. Don't get me wrong I still love wrestling, but nowhere near as much as I did when I was 8 or 9 or so.

• Like 1

Naitch

Agreed 100%

Im no way never been a smark but im not a mark either im in between, and can only wish i was younger again, and didnt have internet and just watched wrestling like i used to

So i vote Mark ,there not as clever and cheeky and dont spread sh*t all over the net they just cheered and were entertained

Sorry to be a bit thick here' date=' but would someone explain to me the terms "mark" and "smark" and what the difference is.[/quote']

Basically, as far as i know, a 'mark' is a person who thinks wrestling is real as in the winners of the matches are not pre-determined and so on.

A 'smark', again as far as i know, is a person who knows that wrestling is 'fake' (although i don't like that expression) and knows some inner workings of the wrestling, like that it has bookers, creative writers, etc.

That's what i think anyways.

pinmepayme.

Basically, as far as i know, a 'mark' is a person who thinks wrestling is real as in the winners of the matches are not pre-determined and so on.

A 'smark', again as far as i know, is a person who knows that wrestling is 'fake' (although i don't like that expression) and knows some inner workings of the wrestling, like that it has bookers, creative writers, etc.

That's what i think anyways.

And that's pretty much correct.

Smark is an abbreviation of "Smart Mark", it's basically somebody who is still a Mark for wrestling in general, but knows that it's pre-determined.

I detest the fact that people call wrestling "Fake" - tell the people who have been injured or killed in wrestling that it's fake.

Jacko, that's pretty idiotic. What do you expect? It's gonna be like this for a week or so... the forum will carry on as normal but with some extra Eddie threads, I dont know what your problem is really? If people want to talk about him that's fine and the way it is, complaining about Eddie threads is just an indirected form of disrespect IMO...

Just to go into what a mark and smark is a bit more; I knew wrestling wasn't 'real' back when I started watching it but I was still a 'Mark'.

So a mark isn't just someone who thinks its real, but someone who accepts that it is entertainment and watches and enjoys it like anything else you watch on TV.

I hate the term 'Smark'. I dont really like the fact that I pursued my curiousities and found this forum as I now cannot keep away from it.

I hope im not classed as a smark :)

I'd much rather be a mark, no matter how derogatory it is really. There is no fun left in wrestling to me, and although the current WWE product isn't fantastic, it was better than the mid 90's, which I preffered.

I was watching the Bret DVD a few minutes ago, and when the Bulldog match came up, you realise hwo times have changed. To me, that PPV was one of the first, and looking at the highlights of this match, did something very few matches can do nowadays. That match summed up what being a 'mark' was about, and I don't see hwo that's a bad thing.

Then you have all the negatives about being a smark. Watching matches and caring about how much effort as gone into it, is no fun. I want to be able to want the face to win again, and not mind whether the match is abysmal or not, which will sadly never happen again for me, I doubt.

Maybe without the internet, and me becoming 'in the know', I would of lost a lot of what made wrestlign so special to me, but I doubt it. It's not a coincidence I stopped really liking wrestling, when I got the net.

I pretend I know nothing...that way, I'm happy and I do't overanalyse. XD

After all, I watch the product to escape realistic soap opera's and for the limits of human endurance and sadism...not to strip down and comment on how deeply somebody Bladed at what match, and why Austin failed to appear at yet another main event at a PPV...:P

Ignorance is Bliss in the WWE - the writers showed me as such, lol

Jacko' date=' that's pretty idiotic. What do you expect? It's gonna be like this for a week or so... the forum will carry on as normal but with some extra Eddie threads, I dont know what your problem is really? If people want to talk about him that's fine and the way it is, complaining about Eddie threads is just an indirected form of disrespect IMO...[/quote']

Ive got offended of this post as i was a eddie mark, :(

you dont know what my problem is? I dont have no problem, you silly child, i just wanted a different subject apart from death theres nothing wrong with that

Disrespect? Read my Eddie Posts over the past week or even the one in this thread carefully and explain how its disrespect, ive had nothing but good things to say about him

So dont call me idioitic when i only wanted a new subject to talk or read about, and one complaint about it isnt so bad because i know there is always people out there trying to conterdict peoples threads/posts ect...and i think its way out of order when people are only trying to help and move on

I dont mind the Eddie threads one bit, but theres nothing wrong with new topics

And now out of anger ive gone off topic in my own thread, but had to get it off my chest

I hate that internet fans look down on non-internet fans. Whats wrong with enjoying something without worrying about 'overness' or 'no selling'. I wouldn't call myself a smark, yet the WWE isn't exciting enough to be a 'mark'. If they got back to the days of unpredictability, then I'd gladly go back to my 'mark' days.

It's funny though, internet fans laugh at marks, but they themselves are marks too. The difference is that internet fans think they know all the inside goings on but most of the time don't know what they're talking about. Apparently, John Cena is quite a good wrestler but just because his character doesn't allow him to be a technical master, people hate him. Also, can people stop having a go at Masters? He's been in the WWE less than a year and everyone is having a go at him because he doesn't get 'heat' when he comes out. I'd love for all the smarks to be trained as a wrestler, then put on 5 star matches every week, have amazing mic skills and get huge reactions.

To me a smark is simply someone who knows more than the average fan! Once you start coming onto websites to find more information about wrestling and what happens when the cameras are off, the backstage politics and analysing storylines then you have crossed the line into Smarkism.

Im a smark, and I dont care. I like to know the inside of the buisness.

By your definitions then guys' date=' I guess that when I'm watching wrestling, I'm a mark and when I'm not, I'm a smark (and yes, I don't like that term but by its definition.........although wrestling is pre-determined and NOT fake :P )[/quote']

Amazing...! Took the words out of my mouth... and nice touch up on the "FAKE" debate. Wrestling isn't fake... you think those bumps are fake?! Pre-Determined or "Worked" is the correct terms in my opinion...

• Like 1

Personally i think being a mark at times is really cool. I mean when i saw Raven and Alex Shane have there match at international Showdown. I marked out when Raven dumped Shane over the balcony. I am the same when i watch TNA because they excite me.

However it is good to be a smark because you get to learn more of the industry whats being worked and what isnt. Who is jumping ship and who isnt. Also i have a problem with most smarks on the internet, I think if they was put in the same matches which they see on TV or DVD they wouldnt have a clue. I know alot about the industry because i do train as well i can have a good laugh at people who sit down here on forums who slates people like a cena (for example) however they would never know what it takes to put together a match and who wouldnt risk there own ass to try and entertain people.

i can have a good laugh at people who sit down here on forums who slates people like a cena (for example) however they would never know what it takes to put together a match and who wouldnt risk there own ass to try and entertain people.

Well they have been trained,it's just like any other job i mean if you went into a shop and there was a really crap person working the till, and they couldn't get the till to open after years of training would you criticize them? I sure would,and i wouldn't have a clue how to work a till.

• Like 1