Smack Down title situation *SPOILERS*

Drake

by Dave Meltzer

dave@wrestlingobserver.com

A match with Batista vs. Randy Orton, billed as a street fight for the title, was announced as the main event for Tuesday's Smackdown tapings in Sheffield, England. With Batista being injured, most likely Orton will win the title here. The street fight is likely a cover to allow them to avoid traditional wrestling and not risk as much injury to Batista.

So it wasn't a surprise at all.But now it's almost 100% that Orton will be the new SD Champ.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out

One things or sure. Orton's leaving with the strap

I seem to remember months back when Orton challenged Big Dave the night after Wrestlemania - after that he left to have surgery on his shoulder. Then some random night he appeared on RAW saying that once he got back he would beat Taker and get revenge on Batista for putting him on the shelf

But then again, as a fan, my memory is much better than nay of the wwe writers

I don't understand this Batista "invincibility" thing.

Do people actually disagree with a Champion holding on to a title for more than 6 months?

The only time in my opinion, Batista's looked anything close to invincibe was his No Holds Barred match with JBL at SummerSlam. Even then, I'd prefer to use the word dominant. I'm of the opinion Batista should've been made to look unbeatable, and during his title run, he hasn't.

It's a shame he's been injured, I really enjoy watching him and would say he's one of the mose improved guys of the last year.

If they can keep him off t.v. while he recuperates, he's gonna blow the roof off when he does return.

Also Booker Vs Benoit for the US title.. i would guess Benoit would win here.. tribute style.. but i'dmuch rather Benoit win the main title for Eddie than some second rate Sharmell title.....

I don't want orton as champ... odds on he'd get injured preety quickly and then WWE would really have a problem.... Give Benoit the WWE title.. screw the Booker feud.. it shoulkd be about Eddie.. anyway Eddie should have been champ now God rest his soul

I don't think we know how Orton is as champion, his reign last year seemed like it was only to get Brock Lesnar out of the WWE record books and put Triple H back on top. This time, he'd have a more meaningful reign and we would have a much better idea about Orton as the future of the WWE.

Personally though I'd like to see Benoit as champ. Who knows how long he's got left? Stick Kennedy in the US title picture, Benoit should be in the main event.

.............and someone who is outstanding in the ring and can pretty much get a good match out of anyone........

I'm not saying Benoit isn't worthy of being champion, but it would make no sense to take him out of his US Title fued and give him the strap just because of Eddie's death.

I'm not saying Benoit isn't worthy of being champion' date=' but it would make no sense to take him out of his US Title fued and give him the strap just because of Eddie's death.[/quote']

I agree it makes no sense, but neither does Orton.

Although I wouldn't put it past the bookers to actually come up with a situation like this, they didn't. It's just a string of bad luck, Big Dave I'm sure wasn't going to lose the title at all, but he got injured and needs surgary. Eddie was the guy they figured could have the belt whilst Batista was out, seeing as he's been working a program with him for a while now, of course that can't happen now.

In all honesty the one man who should really be given the ball, is JBL. Again that makes no sense, but he's a proven champion and I just don't think Orton's ready.

I think that none of us really know what is going to happen on this weeks smackdown or on smackdown in general for the next few weeks in regards to the world title and main event spots. We all have are opinions and guesswork and some are better than others.

I personally think Batista should retain the title on Smackdown somehow, probably with Undertaker interference/help. Then he can enter SD Survivor series team, cause they need his star billing. He could then lose the title maybe in a triple threat with Orton & Taker. All those matches don't require Batista to be in the ring a great deal doing much action.

All that depends on how bad his injury is, if he really shouldn't be anywhere near the ring then he has got to lose this week. I expect WWE would want or expect a lengthier title run from Orton this/next time round so I don't expect Undertaker to return and face Randy one on one immediately, unless he wins the match but not the title or gets a DQ or something. Undertakers return is going to be hyped up so much because Smackdown needs him, He isn't going to return, make an impact then get pinned in his first big match back.