Who are your Sporting idols?

carlito is cool

In sport I have a few idols, each relating to that particular sport...

In football it has to be Eric Cantona, he was god on earth from 1992 till his retirement. He dragged an under achieving side to titles, he was the talisman that made all around him click and perform and the gel that held the team together.

The way he played in the 1995/96 side after his return in the circumstances surrounding the team and dragged us kicking and screaming to become the first side ever at that time to have won a Double, Double... wow.

In Rugby Union it has to be Johnny Wilkinson. The man before his injury woes was immense. Simply the best kicker, passer and tackler that England have ever had at Fly half or Half back. He could also double as a handy centre if needed as well. A complete player and it's a shame his career has been brung low since the World Cup.

Then finally in Cricket it has to be Freddy Flintoff. The way he has improved his batting, fielding, bowling and over all play to become the best all rounder in the world and a player that every team dreads playing with the ball or bat in hand is nothing short of fantastic.

Simply put, no Freddie, no Ashes... Simple as.

My two main ones would be Ally McCoist and Andy Goram. McCoist was an absolute hero of mine. He was an out and out poacher and we could sure as hell do with someone a quarter as good as him. He got 355 goals for us and he just loved sticking the ball in the back of the net. I saw today he knocked back a coaching role at Ibrox because he's got commitments with ITV but hopefully he can return at some stage because he's been a very important part of the Scotland setup and he loves Rangers.

Andy Goram was phenomenal. He was as good a goalkeeper I've ever seen and the argument that he was playing in Scotland can't even be used because it doesn't matter who is hitting a shot towards the top corner, be it Ronaldo or Gerry Britton, it still has to be saved. Celtic fans will tell you how good Goram was. A lot of the time when we were winning everything in sight, we'd play Celtic in games and a lot of the time they would actually dominate the game. They'd pound our goal all match but Goram would save everything then we'd go up the other end and somebody, quite often McCoist, would score and win us the game.

I've had a few other real favourite Rangers players, not so much in recent years but guys like Gascoigne, Laudrup and Albertz were absolutely fantastic and it was a joy watching those players.

Henrik Larsson- The goalscorer of a lifetime! Proved himself European-ly and international-y, simply an amazing player.

Lubomir Moravcik- Two footed, simply amazing. Could play in any attacking role and is a soon-to-be manager.

Michael Ingum- I know him on a personal level, as he lives just a street down from me for the first couple of years on my life, now playing as...Wrexham goalie I believe, and shows me that anybody can do it. He now has a picture on Football Manager (2006)!

benig the sad person i am:

Shawn Michaels... one of the greatest wrestlers of all time... and is a religious man which i have alot of respect for and would love to learn from him..

for football:

John Terry: the old English centre half.. has more guts than brains and is the future england captain... i still think he is overpaid though :P

Cricket: Alec Stewart/Andrew Flintoff

Poker : Phil Hellmuth Jr/Dave "Devilfish" Ulliot

WWE: Triple H/Stone Cold Steve Austin/Ric Flair

Darts: Phil "The Power" Taylor

Snooker: Ronnie O' Sullivan

Basketball: Shaquille O' Neal

Football: Zinedine Zidane

Boxing: "Iron" Mike Tyson

Edited by Dickie Hyde

I have three main sporting idols, the first and main one is Michael Jordan. The man was the best ever at his sport, he overcame emotional struggles with the death of his father to return to the game and was still the greatest. He has a successful business empire, and the man is quite simply a legend. Secondly is Julian Dicks. A rough, hard-tackling defender who was one of the best left backs to ever pull on the Claret and Blue. He was the guy i wanted to be, before injury took me out of the competitive game. Thirdly, Joe Namath, who not many people will know. He led the Jets to their only Superbowl in 1969, he was cocky, arrogant, charming, skillfull and superbly talented, even though he had majorly busted knees. As iInfluential as he was great, people loved the guy.

Thats a good question.Some of my sporting Idols are Roy Keane(one of the best ever captains Man united & Ireland have had). John Giles (Easily one of the best ever Ireland Players.Eamon Dunphy(He was a terrible footballer but as a pundit hes the best).Mark Hughes(Good old Sparky technically gifted and is possibly my favourite player of all time,theres too many more to say but they would be some of my main Idols.

although ferdinand is getting alot of stick i think hes probably one of my idols. i believe that when back on form he'll be Englands best centreback. can't forget Kurt Angle either Gold medalist with a broken neck and a great character. Reading his book really opens your eyes to what an athelete he truley is.