British man 'beats' HIV

Anime Otaku

Last Modified: 13 Nov 2005

Source: ITN

A British man has allegedly become the first person in the world to beat HIV.

A number of newspapers reported that Andrew Stimpson, 25, was diagnosed with the virus in 2002. He later tested negative in 2003.

Chelsea and Westminster Healthcare NHS Trust, which carried out the tests, now want him to undergo more before it can be established how he apparently beat the disease. Mr Stimpson said he did not take any medication for HIV. A spokeswoman said: "These tests were accurate and they were his, but what we don't know at the moment is why that has happened, and we want him to come back in for more tests. It is potentially a fantastic thing."

Stimpson was tested three times in August 2002 at the Victoria clinic for sexual health in central London.

The results showed he was producing HIV antibodies to fight the killer disease.

He took vitamins and other dietary supplements in the hopes that this might prevent full-blown Aids from developing.

After impressing doctors with his good health, Stimpson was offered a new test in 2003.

It came back negative, and further tests in December 2003 and March 2004 also proved negative.

He told a newspaper: "It was the last thing I expected. I was astonished. I was baffled too.

"I couldn't understand how anyone could cure themselves of HIV . . . I thought it had to be wrong because no one can recover from HIV, it just doesn't happen."

The tests were re-checked by the Chelsea and Westminster Healthcare NHS Trust and they confirmed all the tests had been accurate.

The case has baffled medical experts and they want to study Mr Stimpson in the hope that they can learn more about beating HIV.

Wow this could be the start of somethign really huge if they can figure out one thing. What the hell happen in this guy!

That's incredible news. I feel very happy for the guy. That must be like having the greatest weight lifted off his shoulders. It would be amazing if they could figure out how exactly his body cured itself of HIV and that they could invent a cure that would save thousands worldwide.

It's great to know that someone has beat HIV. A great knowledge for the whole world really. Hopefully once they find out how it's happened, they will be able to cure more people.

On a very slightly related note:

They found that using HIV virus, they could get in to the lungs to cure Cystic Fibrosis I think, as using the eboba virus and HIV virus, they could get stuff in to convert the cf gene fault. click here to see article