GB Olympic 2012 Football Team

K.J

Is a GB Football Team a Good Idea?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is a GB Football Team a Good Idea?

• Yes, it's a fantastic idea, I'm all for it.
    • Yes, a good idea but only if all 4 nations take part.
    • No it's a silly idea, it should be scrapped.

Is it a good idea or not?

It's been decided that a Great Britain will enter a football team into the Olympics for the first time in 2012. So far ionly the FA and the Northern Irish FA have decided to take part. Scotland have opted out and Wales are likely to follow suit.

The argument against has always been that it's felt that it might jeopardise the identity of the home nations for other tournaments, ie if a GB team can enter the Olympics then why not the World Cup? However FIFA President Sepp Blatter has assured the home nations that this would not be the case.

I like the idea of them doing it as a one off in 2012, but not too sure if they should do it without the backing of all four FA's. It would certainly be a shame for any decent young Scottish and Welsh players to miss out on the opportunity.

So what do you think, is it a good idea?

I think probably a fair few non English players would get in. Tis under 23 after all. But I think all the nations would have to enter. But technically I'd rather have the best players play. So if that means lots of English so be it, and I'd feel just the same, if it was lots of Welsh or Scots.

The thing is though if we have a British team for the Olympics then whats to stop FIFA saying you have one for the Olympics so your going to compete as Great Britain in all future Tournaments?Whose to say it would be all English though,were talking about seven years time and young player now will be to old come 2012.

I'm quite for the idea and I think there should be a limit on how many are from each country. Alright it might not mean we've got as good a team as we could have but i think for the guys from Northern Ireland and Wales, it'd be good to get the experience of playing in a big tournament and playing on the same team as better players (the English).

I'm all for it but only if all the nations take part. I think it's a shame the Scottish and Welsh FA's are against it although I can see their reasoning.

Thing is the team will basically be ten englishman and ryan giggs really. If it were to work as Cripp says it would need to be fair for all countries involved and not be monopolised by England. Id like to see it' date=' but i don't think itll happen[/quote']

Ryan Giggs will be about 20 years to old to play for the under 23's in 2012.

It will be predominantly under 23's, as your only allowed 3 over 23's in your teams, thus, the likes of Ryan Giggs, Gerrard etc won't be playing.

I'm sure Scotland, Wales and NI have good young players coming through too. If it were done now, I'd imagine it would feature the likes of Rooney, Milner, Jenas, Steven Davis, Fletcher, Craig Gordon, Rhys Weston etc. And it wouldn't be that unbalanced.

But technically there is always the argument, about wanting equality, or wanting a competitive side. If we have equality, it might compromise how good the team is, if they put poorer players in, just to make everyone happy.

What people fail to realize is that to qualify for the Olympics you have to go through an extensive Qualifying competition, not to unlike qualifying for a World Cup or a European Championships. As these games are not part of the united FIFA Calendar, it would mean clubs losing players during the season which i'm not sure will go down well. Also like the major tournamants hosts don't qualify automatically.

Sepp Blatter has said that Team GB can play in 2012, so I imagine we wouldn't have to qualify.

Personally I'm for the idea but think that all 4 nations should take part, and that there should be equality in the amount of players from each country, maybe have a maximum percentage allowance from each country due to the population difference.

Edited by K.J

Sepp Blatter says that, I'm sure before when this has been mentioned it's been left mainly because FIFA state that if the four home nations gave a Great Britain team to the Olympics then FIFA might insist that for their competitions there is only one Great Britain team, with league structures having to be lost to one British league system.

If it happens I might not care how the team fares really, simply because in football I still don't really identify with the concept of Great Britain, just Scotland. It's just the way it is, I'm not a rugby fan or much of a fan of other sports where there is a British team so it's not really something I'm interested to see.