The Beatles

Jung

Right, this always seem to cause a lot of debate, but whats your opinion of The Beatles.

Personally I think they are absolutely fantastic, and probably the most consistent band in the history of music. Huge array of styles, groundbreaking, still fresh today.

However I know a lot of people seem to hate them, or think they are crap, which I never understand.

Thus what are your thoughts on the fab four.

An old friend of mine has 2 kids, they're around 10 or 12 years old now.

A while back he had one of his Beatles albums on and his boys walked in, the oldest then said "Who is this? They sound like an Oasis rip-off".

Says it all really. :)

I used to absolutely love the Beatles, but I've not listened to them in some time.

I can't say I am bothered about most of that era's bands also I don't think they would have been anywhere near as popular if they came out now as people have alot more styles of music to choose from.

:lol I dont even know how to show you how silly that statement is Tajjers!

Films in Japanese wouldnt be popular if released over here.

I too think they are/were totally overrated. I could never understand the whole "lyrical geniuses" thing. I am the walrus? Come on! Now I know I like some bands who sing about some strange stuff and write some strange songs which may or may not make any sort of sense, but I don't go around proclaiming them to be "lyrical geniuses". If you like them, that's cool, but I thought I'd just add my opinion. :)

Not much of a fan of The Beatles. I can see in the context of when they came out why they'd seem quite innovative and fresh to people at that time but I think they sound slightly dated and hackneyed now. Maybe it's the blanket coverage of them. If people stopped going on and on about them, then I heard them after a decent break from them, I might like some more of their stuff. 'Something', 'Norwegian Wood', 'Hello, Goodbye', these are songs that I have had some liking for at some stage (the last one I suppose is a bit of a guilty pleasure), but they're played most of the time wherever you are so there's no break from them. Their music has dated though, in my view. I can see the point to them, unlike other bands who get a great deal of praise (I will probably never ever be convinced that Free were important no matter how often guitar and music magazines in general blow them, for instance), but they're not my thing and though it's foolish to say that they're no longer relevant, I still think that their importance both musically and personally upon society is overrated.

I must admit, I love the Beatles, and after going through all of their album it is clear how they influenced pretty much most music that came after them, at least its clear to me. I think that some of their songs are blown out of proportion but some of the lesser praised tracks (Hide your love away, Here there, everywhere etc) are just great songs, even by todays standards.

For me, The Beatles are simply the most influential and greatest band that there ever was, maybe even that there ever will be, nothing truly compaires to them.

The Beatles were brilliant. They were. They deserve the high praise they get from people. And more. They were the perfect pop band and they were everything any band should aspire to be. I'm often suspect of how much of The Beatles a lot of people who kind of slate them have actually heard. It sometimes feels like its as if people slag them because they were so big and oh, we can't be liking big bands can we? I'm not saying that's the case with everyone but I think a lot of people are quite possibly like that. I just find it bewildering that a lot of young people don't seem to rate them or appreciate them.

They were and will continue to be the most influential band ever. They've influenced an incredible array of people who you wouldn't necessarily think they influenced. Bands like Sabbath and Guns N Roses to name a couple wouldn't have existed if it hadn't been for The Beatles.

Also when did Pulp decline? If we are going by album sales then after Different Class they did but arguably This is Hardcore and We Love Life, two albums which didn't do as well as the big mid 90s hit, were far, far better records. If we're talking in terms of decline in popularity then sure, but if anything Pulp improved after they hit the big time.

Edited by The Crippler

Its interesting to see people say if they were around now, they'd be nowhere near as famous, when really, if it was not for them, music probably wouldn't even be like what it is now anyway.

If people say overrated, I can understand that, because they are ridiculously hyped.

But for me, how many bands can say they put out probably the best pyschedelic, pop, rock, ballads, even country, folk, out at the time. Heck they were the first band to put a drum and bass track onto an album, nearly 40 years ago. No way right place, right time.

Dont like the Beatles and can't see why everyone seems to go mad over them these days when they split in 73

The Beatles split in 69'.

I love them, and still collect the stuff. There has never been anything like them since and I can't see there ever being anything coming close in the future.

Personally i had enjoyed their songs but never really been a fan. That was until July in Tenerife, a caberet event that saw me have to dress up as John Lennon, and subsequent dvd of the occasion (which is now broke) had endeared the band to me. I found a new love for their music, and now i really enjoy it.

I'm a big fan of The Beatles, but I can understand why people don't like them.

The reason The Beatles were so unbelievabley successful was because they were the 'first' of their 'kind'. They music also evolved as time went on.

The Beatles wrote a lot of great songs - but then they also wrote a lot of crap.