ISP advice

The Doctor

Okay peeps, I'd appreciate a bit of help here. I'm moving home very shortly to an area my current Internet Service Provider doesn't cover. I'm on Telewest Blueyonder with a cable connection, but my new house will only have a ADSL connection (through the phone line).

I want broadband, as dial-up does my head in with its pantness, but although I am used to a 1 Mb connection, 512kb should actually be enough if need be. I'm not a fan of download restrictions, and am a fan of paying as little as possible! :D Some free website space is also useful as I'll be setting one up soon - how much space would I need? 25Mb? 50Mb? :?

Now it's easy enough to find who the ISPs are out there, but I'd like some feedback from you guys as well - any good/bad things to say about the company you are/were with? Any recommendations?

I only have one comment at this time:

DO NOT go with AOL.

I will repeat:

DO NOT go with AOL.

And once more because it's THAT important:

DO NOT go with AOL.

Thank you, that is all. :)

:lol Yup, they were already out of the running!

Anyone have any experience of some of the newer providers - like Tesco and Toucan?

What I'm finding is price variation isn't actually all that huge - I'm seeing great similarity across the board.

One difference is the "free" webspace the ISP provides. Some have none, some have 25Mb, some 50Mb, UKOnline has 100Mb! :eek

So, techno dunce question: how much webspace will I need for a website anyway? It would be a relatively image heavy shameless self promotion type site so beloved of UK wrestlers - you know the sort. I don't want to pick an ISP based around this one spec only to find I have no need for that many megs anyway!

I had nothing but trouble with Virgin's pay-as-you-go and pay monthy dial-up this year - hence my disappearing act.

I use Freedom2Surf broadband - uncapped, 2Mbit, rising to 8Mbit when it becomes available here. Not had a complaint to make about them.

I had nothing but trouble with Virgin's pay-as-you-go and pay monthy dial-up this year - hence my disappearing act.

I use Freedom2Surf broadband - uncapped, 2Mbit, rising to 8Mbit when it becomes available here. Not had a complaint to make about them.

Serves you right for using dial-up. Fool. :P I'm looking @ the £14.99 bracket, so that gets me a 2GB download limit as opposed to Virgin's 3GB. Not in my new house yet, but I seem to be able to get 512Kb - 2Mb. I couldn't help but notice:

200MB of f2s.com webspace
:eek Massiiiiiiiiive!

Free bandwidth usage between 1am - 6am
Interesting...

What's this difference between monthly and yearly contracts then? Am I not necessarily bound into a 12 month contract?

And they've been bought out by Pipex I see.

Edited by The Doctor