WCW Spring Stampede 99

carlito is cool

Anyone seen this amazing ppv? Definately WCW's last great ppv. Better than any ppv wwf put on between 1998 and 1999.

This show had everything. Held before a rabid crowd of 25,000.

(Cant remember exact match order)

Blitzkerig vs Juvi- Absolutely blistering aerial encounter as good as a high flying match can be imo. Finished with a nasty looking top rope juvi driver. 5/5as far as crusiers go.

Hak (Sandman) vs Bam Bam- Wild arena wide brawl. Stuck to what these two new best and it paid off it was a very enjoyable weapons based brawl. 3.5/5

Konnan vs Disco Inferno- Now this was a suprise, this match was damn good, Konnan actually looked like he could wrestle here and the crowd were really into him. Some real smooth exchanges almost benoit vs angle esque at times (well maybe not quite). Great effort from both. 3/5

Rey Mysterio vs Billy Kidman- Very strong match but overshadowed by the magnificent opener. These 2 probably had better matches but this wasn't bad. 3.5/5

Raven+Saturn vs Benoit+Malenko- Awseome tag match. Went a good 20 minutes, started slowly and built perfectly. Had wrestling, brawling and a couple of high spots (notably benoits diving headbutt from the top to the outside and through a table). Nice ending where benoits nails a flying headbutt onto a chair which is placed on Ravens skull (benoit bust himself open the hard way). Haven't seen a better tag match on US soil since.

4.5/5

Scott Steiner vs Booker T- Steiner played the bully boy perfectly in this. Intimidating the crowd and ref all to convincingly. Very good wrestling from both. Booker was in his prime hear and Steiner pulled out a top performance also hitting a top rope frankensteiner!!! (this is the roided out of mind steiner by the way) Again another top match. 4/5

Goldberg vs Nash- Built up almost more than the main event. This felt like a Wmania main event. Was kept short and sweet and got the job done. WCW really new how to use Goldberg and he looked immense faltenning Nash here. Better than there Starcade 98 encounter. 3.5/5

Hogan vs Flair vs Sting vs DDP with Savage as ref- The only letdown on the whole show. This main event had the name power but Hogan looked dire as did Flair. Sting and DDP wern't too much better, this match never really took off. DDP managed to score the somewhat suprising victory. 1/5

Truly memorable PPV dissapointing main event but not even that could take the shine of probably the best PPV during wrestlings last boom period.

This is a seemingly forgotten gem. Anyone else seen it?

Very generous scoring there' date=' Steiner and Booker in a **** match? Surely not, will have to have a look for this somewhere and see if Sandman and Biggles deserves ***1/2, I can't believe it.[/quote']

You need to see the card as a whole to really appreciate it. It had a mixture of everything a wrestling show should have. Steiner and Booker did work there balls of that night. The match quality was as good as those two guys could have put on same goes with sandman vs bam bam thats why the scoring may seem generous. If you liked wwf ppvs from around the 97-2000 period i seriously recommend this.

Spring Stampede 99 :worship

You need to see the card as a whole to really appreciate it. It had a mixture of everything a wrestling show should have. Steiner and Booker did work there balls of that night. The match quality was as good as those two guys could have put on same goes with sandman vs bam bam thats why the scoring may seem generous. If you liked wwf ppvs from around the 97-2000 period i seriously recommend this.

Spring Stampede 99 :worship

I'll have a look for it, watch it,then comment. I have a few ppv's from around that time and they were a bit crappy but have comedy value.

Very good and often overlooked PPV.

It's been a while since I saw it and I remember it being a great show apart from the main event.

Why Savage was the special guest referee never really made sense to me, or why he helped Page win the belt after they had feuded for so long, a short time before.

But that was WCW for you, never made sense in the long run.