What Defines a sport?

Paul

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Competition to win a championship.

Which excludes some of the Olympic events then.

Synchronised Swiming is a "sport", but there's no championship.

I don't think I've ever heard of a Handball Championship.

Since they're part of the Olympics, they're sports.

no in the Olimpics they compete for championships that come in the form of a Gold' date=' Silver or Bronze Medal.[/quote']

Outside of the Olympics, do they have the same championships?

Remember that each country that hosts the Olympics can add an event.

So, if Canada hosted the event and decided to add Professional Wrestling, then it'd HAVE to be considered a sport as you compete for a championship. :)

I'd say it's something that requires athletic ability.

5 entries found for sport.

sport ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)

n.

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

A particular form of this activity.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

An active pastime; recreation.

Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.

An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport.

A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.

One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.

Informal. One who accepts rules or difficult situations well.

Informal. A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip.

Informal.

A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life.

A gambler at sporting events.

Biology. An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.

Maine. See summercater. See Regional Note at summercater.

Obsolete. Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.

v. sport·ed, sport·ing, sports

v. intr.

To play or frolic.

To joke or trifle.

Biology. To mutate.

v. tr.

To display or show off: “His shoes sported elevated heels” (Truman Capote).

adj. or sports

Of, relating to, or appropriate for sports: sport fishing; sports equipment.

Designed or appropriate for outdoor or informal wear: a sport shirt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English sporte, short for disporte, from Old French desport, pleasure, from desporter, to divert. See disport.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sportful adj.

sportful·ly adv.

sportful·ness n.

Here's the official definition.

Edited by Anime Otaku

I'd say it's something that requires athletic ability.

Which makes Pro Wrestling a sport.

By definition, Sport means:

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Note the word "often" in there, so it doesn't always have to be.

Since Pro Wrestling has rules and customs, and requires physical activity/exertion, this puts it definitely as a sport.

Am I right?

Canada for gold I say :)

could you imagine if Pro Wrestling was an Olimpic Sport and Canada had a team of, Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, Owen Hart (if still alive obviously), Chris Jericho & Lance Storm, there wouldnt be any point in any other Country competing against them because they'd lose straight away :lol

could you imagine if Pro Wrestling was an Olimpic Sport and Canada had a team of' date=' Chris Benoit, Bret Hart, Owen Hart (if still alive obviously), Chris Jericho & Lance Storm, there wouldnt be any point in any other Country competing against them because they'd lose straight away :lol[/quote']

The same thing was said about the NBA stars from the US winning the Basketball, but they got beaten. :)

Which makes Pro Wrestling a sport.

By definition, Sport means:

Note the word "often" in there, so it doesn't always have to be.

Since Pro Wrestling has rules and customs, and requires physical activity/exertion, this puts it definitely as a sport.

Am I right?

Nope its not competitive in the sense that the 2 guys in the ring Wrestling aren't trying to beat each other. For me a sport is 2 people or 2 teams competing against each other with both trying to win. Therefore with Pro-wrestling being pre-determined it can't be classed as a sport.

I think the majority of Pro-Wrestlers accept there business as more a form of entertainment than sport.

For me a sport is 2 people or 2 teams competing against each other with both trying to win. Therefore with Pro-wrestling being pre-determined it can't be classed as a sport.

So the track events aren't sports? Most are more than 2 teams or people. :)

Also, by your definition, 2 people playing a word game is a sport.

Does this mean that gymnastics, figure skating, synchronised swimming and diving aren't sports, because you're not really competing against each other, you're trying to put on the best performance you can. You're then judged on your performance by a panel.

Yet they're in the Olympics, so they have to be sports.

Following that, if they put Pro Wrestling in the Olympics and had a panel to judge the work, then it would (by definition) become a sport.

Edited by MrFill

So the track events aren't sports? Most are more than 2 teams or people. :)

Does this mean that gymnastics, figure skating, synchronised swimming and diving aren't sports, because you're not really competing against each other, you're trying to put on the best performance you can. You're then judged on your performance by a panel.

Yet they're in the Olympics, so they have to be sports.

Following that, if they put Pro Wrestling in the Olympics and had a panel to judge the work, then it would (by definition) become a sport.

Gymnastics, figure skating, synchronised swimming and diving are sports because you are competing directly against other competitors, the scoring system is slightly different to other sports but its genuine competition none the less.

Wheres the idea of pro-wrestling being put into the olympics come from??? lol

Apart from the fact that pro-wrestling is pre-determined which automatically excludes it from being classed as a sport imo, 90% of pro wrestlers would fail the mandatory steroid tests anyway :lol

Gymnastics' date=' figure skating, synchronised swimming and diving are sports because you are competing directly against other competitors, the scoring system is slightly different to other sports but its genuine competition none the less.[/quote']

But you're not competing AGAINST them - quite often you don't do anything related to them at all, so people are scoring you on how your performance was.

Wheres the idea of pro-wrestling being put into the olympics come from??? lol

Here:

So' date=' if Canada hosted the event and decided to add Professional Wrestling, then it'd HAVE to be considered a sport as you compete for a championship. :)[/quote']

Apart from the fact that pro-wrestling is pre-determined which automatically excludes it from being classed as a sport imo' date=' 90% of pro wrestlers would fail the mandatory steroid tests anyway :lol[/quote']

But a figure skating routine is also pre-determined, as are gymnastic routines, and dives, so it's only the judging which makes it different.

So what if the outcome of a match is pre-determined, if you just look at it for the althletic ability, then it's a "sporting event".

So, since there are awards at the end of the year (the PWI 500 as an example), and you effectively compete against the others in terms of performance, then does this not make Pro Wrestling a sport?

If you want the "judging" to be closer to the event, then how about we take some Internet writers, get them together and get them to judge a match after it takes place, and then award a "prize" to the best worker at the end of every month.

Would that give the same justification as gymnastics and figure skating?

But you're not competing AGAINST them - quite often you don't do anything related to them at all, so people are scoring you on how your performance was.

Here:

But a figure skating routine is also pre-determined, as are gymnastic routines, and dives, so it's only the judging which makes it different.

So what if the outcome of a match is pre-determined, if you just look at it for the althletic ability, then it's a "sporting event".

So, since there are awards at the end of the year (the PWI 500 as an example), and you effectively compete against the others in terms of performance, then does this not make Pro Wrestling a sport?

If you want the "judging" to be closer to the event, then how about we take some Internet writers, get them together and get them to judge a match after it takes place, and then award a "prize" to the best worker at the end of every month.

Would that give the same justification as gymnastics and figure skating?

Gymnastics and figure skating ARE NOT pre determined, Pro Wrestling is this is a huge difference and makes one a genuine sport and one entertainment.

Actors are given awards based on their performances in films yet this doesn't make acting a sport does it?

Just as the annual pwi 500 doesn't make Pro Wrestling a genuine Sport.

Gymnastics and figure skating ARE NOT pre determined

So you're saying that the gymnasts and skaters go out there and make stuff up as they go along? Their routine is pre-determined, just like a pro wrestling match is pre-determined.

They practice the routines over and over again until they get it right - before the Hogan/Warrior match, they practiced it over and over again until they got it right.

What's the difference?

So you're saying that the gymnasts and skaters go out there and make stuff up as they go along? Their routine is pre-determined, just like a pro wrestling match is pre-determined.

They practice the routines over and over again until they get it right - before the Hogan/Warrior match, they practiced it over and over again until they got it right.

What's the difference?

The result of the event is not pre determined.

The result in pro wrestling is pre determined.

See the difference?

The result of a routine IS pre-determined, that's my point. If you have people judging a match, then it's exactly the same as judging a gymnastics or skating routine.

Just because you have judges on the skating and gymnastics, doesn't make it any different - if you put those judges at the side of a wrestling ring, what would the difference be?

The result of a routine IS pre-determined, that's my point. If you have people judging a match, then it's exactly the same as judging a gymnastics or skating routine.

Just because you have judges on the skating and gymnastics, doesn't make it any different - if you put those judges at the side of a wrestling ring, what would the difference be?

I see where your coming from but im for one could never call wrestling a real sport.

Bottom line is the resut of a skating competiton is decided by judges and the result of a pro wrestling match is decided by a booker before the match takes place. You can't go into a sporting event knowing your going to lose because the booker told you to.

I see what you mean by judging match quality, but its a pretty weak argument from where im sitting. You could get a judge to score two guys pissing into a urinal and put that in the olympics and that could be classed as a sport in theory but we all know that isn't a real sport.

I predict if you conducted a survey of sports journalists,wrestling fans,wrestlers and just people in general over 90% would agree Pro-Wrestling isn't a real sport.The fact the outcome is pre detrmined excludes it from ever being classed as a genuine sport.

At the end of the day pro-wrestling isn't in the olympics being scored by judges so the argument is pretty irrelevant.Pro Wrestling will be seen as no more than pre-determined entertainment to the masses.

So.......why is Chess a sport?

I have never thought it was a sport personally. Then again, I've never admitted to Golf as being a sport either, but thats just me being hiteful and irrational.

I think we have to look at Pro Wrestling in two different perspectives. The wrestling in itself is a sport. But the whole package of a wrestling show is more entertainment.