Self Destruction.

Anime Otaku

Nice cheery subject here. Why do people think that so many celebrities and powerful people seem to be self destructive? How many different people have killed themselves or done themselves serious harm due to Drugs and Drink. The list is pretty long, Winston Churchill was a notorious drinker, Marilyn Monroe died of a drugs overdose, more recently we have the likes of George Best and Kate moss in the news for abusing Alcohol and Cocaine (allegedly -TWO lawyer) respectively. Then in wrestling there are several stories of guys who went off the rails like Jake Roberts, William Regal and Eddie Guererro who have drink problems and several recent deaths may have been down to drug usage. Thats not mentioning the likes of Tupac Shakur who though he didn't kill himself in anyway his lifestyle was an attribuing factor in his murder.

I think people have to feel miserable in their lives... when things are too good people get bored and look for more exciting things in life.

Others feel so withdrawn from reality they have to create their own.

Once you're addicted you're just another statistic.

Saz

Nice cheery subject here. Why do people think that so many celebrities and powerful people seem to be self destructive? How many different people have killed themselves or done themselves serious harm due to Drugs and Drink. The list is pretty long' date=' Winston Churchill was a notorious drinker, Marilyn Monroe died of a drugs overdose, more recently we have the likes of George Best and Kate moss in the news for abusing Alcohol and Cocaine (allegedly -TWO lawyer) respectively. Then in wrestling there are several stories of guys who went off the rails like Jake Roberts, William Regal and Eddie Guererro who have drink problems and several recent deaths may have been down to drug usage. Thats not mentioning the likes of Tupac Shakur who though he didn't kill himself in anyway his lifestyle was an attribuing factor in his murder.[/quote']

Many more non-famous people do it.. I kinda think the fame is irrelevant.. Of course the money helps but so many people self destruct.. It's just that everyone knows about famous people.

Winston Churchill was a notorious drinker

Churchill suffered from a severe depression, thats probably the cause of his drinking, heck giving a clinicly depressed man the rule of a country fighting for its survival probably wasnt the best thing for someone in his position.

Whenever he was depressed he used to tell people he had his 'black dog' with him, something immortilised by the Manic Street Preachers in a song with the line 'Theres a black dog on my shoulder again, licking my neck and saying hes my friend'. the songs called Black Dog if it helps.

Marilyn Monroe died of a drugs overdose.

yep, but the jurys out on who gave it her! ;)

There are thousands of 'professionals' who go out at the weekend and take illegal drugs or whatever the same way we (well not me, because I'm underage :D) have a beer at dinner... they go back to work on Monday and aren't addicted in the least, it's just another part of the package... that's what I find quite scary. People see these as just another part of their life and have the chance to stop but decide not to just for a cheap kick....

There are thousands of 'professionals' who go out at the weekend and take illegal drugs or whatever the same way we (well not me' date=' because I'm underage :D) have a beer at dinner... they go back to work on Monday and aren't addicted in the least, it's just another part of the package... that's what I find quite scary. People see these as just another part of their life and have the chance to stop but decide not to just for a cheap kick....[/quote']

Good point.

It's not so much the drugs that kills the people, it's the depression that leads to dependance on drugs. I'll be honest and say I use drugs and they don't depress me and I don't rely on them because I use them in moderation and don't use them as an escape from a real life problem.

Hardliners will use the slogan "drugs kill" time and time again but people in this day and age should realise that "education over legislation" is the way to go. Especially with relatively harmless drugs like MJ and shrooms.

Shrooms are legal provided you don't sell them or put them in a plastic bag. (the plastic causes a chemical reaction to make them more potent.)

From what I know all shrooms that can cause a high are illegal now in any form.

Anyway, normally it is depression that leads to people taking drugs. I suppose that if the person was already suffering from depression because of loneliness then becoming famous and having to travel round the world not seeing family or friends would add to it. Plus it someone very quickly rises to fame then it can be hard to get used to people watching and analysing your every move.

I think its becuase they have so much that they have nowhere else to go in their lives, once you are the top of your game and have been there a while what else is there to do?

Plus alot of these people are very competative, they have to be the best and once they start loosing their grip on their what they see power they can't cope anymore and lose it all big time

Perhaps its also down in some part to the culture at the time. Look at George Best and Gazza for the best examples of this. they were starting out when it was acceptabe for players to go out and drink heavily after a match. Nowadays, possible due to the european players having a more measured view to alcohol this seems to me to be less common.

Just to clear things up, mushrooms are actually now a class A drug in the UK (but not in Ireland, Yippeee for me!!) and are highly illegal. You are not even allowed to pick them from their natural environment. It's completely ridiculous I know, but it's true.

Anywho, I don't think it's so much that depression drives people to drugs exclusively. Peers and experimentation would be the two prime reasons why people use drugs. I began puffing the ganja because my older brother did and I tried mushrooms because I was interested in seeing what a psychadelic trip would be like (and it's amazing!!). Perhaps drugs such as alcohol and cocaine are abused because of the temporary self esteem they give users but all drugs cannot and should not be classified under the same tree. That's what corrupt politicians do.

Just to clear things up' date=' mushrooms are actually now a class A drug in the UK (but not in Ireland, [i']Yippeee for me!![/i]) and are highly illegal. You are not even allowed to pick them from their natural environment. It's completely ridiculous I know, but it's true.

What, that drugs with long term side effects could be banned from being picked in order to avoid people using them?

What' date=' that drugs with long term side effects could be banned from being picked in order to avoid people using them?[/quote']

Ok brainbox, what are these long term side effects?

This should be fun.

Magic mushrooms are so safe that even the UN sees no reason to legislate against them because they realise how utterly pointless it is to blow millions of dollars on the prohibition of a drug that does not effect society or cause deaths. They've officially changed their status on the UN charter giving all countries the go ahead to allow people to consume them should they please. It's only threatened conservative governments that don't allow them to be legal worldwide.

Why don't you go tell that to Frank.

Ok brainbox, what are these long term side effects?

This should be fun.

Ok Mr Attitude I will:

Short term include

• You're not in complete control of what you're doing. Your perception of your body and the world around you can be distorted.
  • Both mushrooms can make you feel sick, tired and disoriented.
  • Amanita's can make you nervous, twitchy and cold.
  • Amanita's can make make you feel so withdrawn inside your own head that you can't hold a sensible conversation.

Long term effects are the psychological dammage that can be caused by the useage. Anyone with any mental health issues should deffinatly avoid them for a start. The effects of psilocybin has been linked to liver dammage as well.

Happy now?

Ok Mr Attitude I will:

Short term include

[*]You're not in complete control of what you're doing. Your perception of your body and the world around you can be distorted.

That's kind of the point. It's a psychadelic drug. It is supposed to alter your perception. That is only a negative thing for someone who uses mushrooms for the wrong reason.

[*]Both mushrooms can make you feel sick' date=' tired and disoriented.[/quote']

Practically any drug can do this, even nicotine. Hell even food can, and I stress the word can, make one sick, tired or disorientated.

[*]Amanita's can make you nervous, twitchy and cold.

[*]Amanita's can make make you feel so withdrawn inside your own head that you can't hold a sensible conversation.

I can't speak for Amanita's. They have no link to psilocybe mushrooms.

Long term effects are the psychological dammage that can be caused by the useage.

There is no evidence to prove this. Mushrooms are quite safe when done in moderation and have no effect on the brain cells unlike alcohol.

Anyone with any mental health issues should deffinatly avoid them for a start.

Obviously. People with mental health issues should avoid all psychoactive drugs including even painkillers like aspirin. This applies to very few people.

The effects of psilocybin has been linked to liver dammage as well.

Happy now?

The evidence for that is between non-existent and extremely sketchy and compared to alcohol, there really is no comparison in damage.

I can't speak for Amanita's. They have no link to psilocybe mushrooms.

Other than being stronger variations of pschadelic mushrooms. But you never asked me to differentiate.

The evidence for that is between non-existent and extremely sketchy and compared to alcohol, there really is no comparison in damage.

Says who? Oh yeah, YOU! You asked for the information and i found it from a few sources easily Googled. The fact is there IS long term dammage associated with shrooms, fact. But you could use the 'well its not 100% pooven' thing. Newsflash, its not 100% prooven that niccotine causes cancer.......fact is it does really. Life, go figure.

Says who? Oh yeah' date=' YOU! You asked for the information and i found it from a few sources easily Googled. The fact is there IS long term dammage associated with shrooms, fact. But you could use the 'well its not 100% pooven' thing. Newsflash, its not 100% prooven that niccotine causes cancer.......fact is it does really. Life, go figure.[/quote']

Nicotine doesn't cause cancer you dumbass! Tobacco does, not the actual nicotine. If nicotine gave you cancer, Nicorette gum would be illegal. There's no point having this argument with someone so ignorant or just very misinformed.

Nicotine doesn't cause cancer you dumbass! Tobacco does' date=' not the actual nicotine.[/quote']

I actually meant to say smakoing, not nicotine! thats entirely down to my own inability to get words right, I refer you to this post here

If nicotine gave you cancer, Nicorette gum would be illegal.

Nicotine is however the (most) addictive part of a ciggerete, and get this: its actually a nerve poison!

Just an interesting little side comment for you: It has been noted that the majority of people diagnosed with schizophrenia smoke tobacco. Estimates for the number of schizophrenics that smoke range from 75% to 90%

There's no point having this argument with someone so ignorant or just very misinformed.

*sigh* you are an out and out moron you know. I research my facts, yes I made ONE mistake in my typing, but given the way my head feels thats no surprise. Please feel free to continue if you can add anything else. .