TNA Primetime Special Ratings

Russ

They got a 0.9. That's not great news, because the idea of the primetime special was to appeal to the people who couldn't see the shows on a Saturday. It seems to be showing that the vast majority of the audience was made by of the core set of fans, but they didn't attract too many new ones.

It does take time to build up a strong fanbase, and the company have only had national TV exposure for a month or so, but you'd still expect them to do a better rating on a weeknight primetime than on a Saturday night when a lot of people are out.

It's not the end of the world for TNA, but it's a bit of a disapointment considering it looks like they didn't add too many new fans. Still, the show wasn't hyped up too much by SpikeTV, with less than a week of promotion, so they couldn't expect WWE-style ratings.

In the words of ChrisfromBirtley: Thoughts?

Nearly a million viewers' date=' not bad, though still, I maintain my point that they should try to "compete" with WWE until they have got at least 3/4 of their ratings.[/quote']

Actually, it's not "nearly" a million viewers, more like 1.35 million.

The ratings is a percentage, not an actual number of viewers. :)

I seem to have done this several times within the last day, funny how it goes. :)

Nielsen Media have 5,000 viewers in the US with boxes attached to their TVs, VCRs, etc. This records what they watch and reports it back to Nielsen.

What the ratings are is a percentage of that 5,000 viewers, so a 4.4 is 220 of those viewers watching RAW Homecoming, and a 0.9 is 45 of those viewers watching TNA Primetime.

Now, since there are obviously more than 5,000 viewers in the US, what this means that they multiply the figure by roughly 1.5 million viewers.

Does that make sense?

I seem to have done this several times within the last day, funny how it goes. :)

Nielsen Media have 5,000 viewers in the US with boxes attached to their TVs, VCRs, etc. This records what they watch and reports it back to Nielsen.

What the ratings are is a percentage of that 5,000 viewers, so a 4.4 is 220 of those viewers watching RAW Homecoming, and a 0.9 is 45 of those viewers watching TNA Primetime.

Now, since there are obviously more than 5,000 viewers in the US, what this means that they multiply the figure by roughly 1.5 million viewers.

Does that make sense?

Yes, it actually makes a fair bit of sense.

I've read post on various sites saying this was a huge dissapointment for TNA, blah, blah and blah.

In my opinion, it is a dissapointment, but not a huge dissapointment at all really. I think I'm pretty safe to say that the show was only announced on TV the week before it actually aired, and that was on the TNA TV show, infact it may have only been on the Saturday 29/10 broadcast of iMPACT so 4 days before the prime time special. I know it was announced o TNAwrestling.com a few weeks before it aired, but to be honest, I'm sure its only TNA fans who actually visit that site, and not the non TNA fans, or the Casual fans that need to make up the majority of the audience. I know Spike TV did a fair bit of radio advertising for the show, but I'm not sure what extent this was at.As the rating was around the same as what they get in 11pm slt, its pretty clear that TNA fans watched the show, and the casuals never watched the show. To be, as there was no wrestling competion on TV at the time, its pretty clear that the show was not advertised enough to the right markets and audience. I'm not trying to make an excuse, I just honestly think if the show was advertised more, then the ratings would reflect that, and TNA would be able to at least break the 1.0 barrier.

I also think so many people (myself as well) were expecting the ratings to be in the 1.0 - 2.0 region that we never actually thought about the fact that many of the casual fans may not be aware of the show, hence the reason they didn't tune in.

But I also think TNA should learn alot from this show, including that fact that they really need 2 hours a week, every week, be it on a Saturday Night or a Thursday Night, the fact is they need 2 hours of TV a week because the feedback from the show seems to have been very positive from the people who actually tuned in.

Also, TNA need more "big names" on thier shows to attract the casual fans, it may not be good for the product, but I just think they are still lacking a marquee attraction.

However, TNA do seems to be on a role right now, thier product is possibly the best it has been since the company's interception in 2002 , and it terms of qaulity, TNA are showing they can put TV shows that one day may rival WWE.

For me it seems that TNA is ready for the long haul, while this rating hasn't been the best way to kick things off, it certainly would mean that TNA will fail at the first hurdle, with 2 more primetime specials confirmed, things don't look that bad for TNA.

To be fair I expected the rating to do a lot better.I thought being on Prime was gonna help the rating but it didn't.Spike TV didn't do a lot in promoting the event,but then again you can't blame it all on Spike.

It goes to show that the TNA fans are mainly hardcore fans that want to see good wrestling so they tune at 11pm US time to see Impact.The casual fan doesn't seem so big on TNA,if it did it would have shown on the ratings.

I just hope they keep doing Impact on Thursdays and not let it be a one time thing.But with those rating my fear is that TNA won't take the risk.

So what you're trying to say Fill' date=' is that these ratings which the wrestling business thrives to get, are made up bulls**t.[/quote']

I means that all ratings are theoretically bull****.

It's only 5,000 in the whole of the US who determine the ratings, so it really means very little.

The actual viewer numbers are impossible to find, unless everybody had something plugged into their boxes.

As an example, our living room system can have 4 TV tuners in it: TV, Cable Box, HD recorder and VCR.

I can set each to a different channel and record/watch different shows, so they have no idea what we're watching, if anything.

For all we know, it could have 10 million viewers, just not the ones with the boxes.

Just to put things into perpective, TNA have been on Spike TV for 4 weeks, and they get a primetime TV slot. Before they got onto Spike TV, most of the casual fans wouldn't have even known about TNA, so while its dissapointing in the first instance, its not a million miles away from what the realistic rating would be.

Ok I am happy to accept these ratings but the one thing I do have to ask is how are these ratings out so quickly? They where out last night yet the Saturday night shows have been taking to the following Tuesday to get a report. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I guess with the show not being on till late Saturday Night , the rating company can't calculate the ratings until Monday (assuming thier not in on Sunday) so the ratings are out on Tuesday , just a guess anyway.

To be fair I expected the rating to do a lot better.I thought being on Prime was gonna help the rating but it didn't.Spike TV didn't do a lot in promoting the event,but then again you can't blame it all on Spike.

It goes to show that the TNA fans are mainly hardcore fans that want to see good wrestling so they tune at 11pm US time to see Impact.The casual fan doesn't seem so big on TNA,if it did it would have shown on the ratings.

I just hope they keep doing Impact on Thursdays and not let it be a one time thing.But with those rating my fear is that TNA won't take the risk.

They already have four more specials planned throughout the next few months. Also, Spike only gave the show a weeks worth of hyping, and that was done mainly during 9 pm and after. The hype didn't get decent until two days before the show

Also, one of the specials will be on Monday night, the same night RAW will be moved due to a Dog Show. That will be the big determiner of TNA's true impact on the business, it will also be a momentum shift it alot of WWE fans tune in out of boredom and get hooked.

There are a couple of times RAW won't air on Monday, the Dog Show is one, as with the US Open of Tennis. I can't remember the other