Could it be....another WWE Talent Quits?

Paul

According to the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Meltzer writes that Chris Benoit's contract expires in three weeks time and that he too was given a Christian-style, 'lowball' offer (i.e. a contract offer for less money than he is currently on).

Just for the record, as for Christian, Meltzer writes that his signing with TNA is imminent, and that he has no no-compete clause, so can start with TNA straightaway. He is best mates with Rhino and TNA booking committee member, Scott D'Amore, and lives in Florida. Apparently the reduced schedule also suits him, as he has movie aspirations and has a big film role lined up for filming in February.

The Benoit situation could be one to watch.

:eek

Ok I found that on the UKFF. Anyone get the Observer and can confirm that story becouse Benoit leaving would be news and a bit. Benoit Vs Chris Daniels anyone? :worship

How could Vince risk losing someone who makes the other guys look so good? Benoit may not be to everyones taste but the guy could carry Head to a great match.

I don't see Benoit going to TNA anytime soon. Maybe in a few years, but I think he is happy in the WWE at the minute. I understand that the Christian quitting news was all so fast, but I think Benoit is happy with his position currently in the WWE. I just hope that Benoit doesn't go to TNA.

Benoit to TNA if it did happen would be a major momentum switcher and I myself would like this to happen as I feel Benoit was always underlooked and overshadowed, his world title reign was overshadowed by Triple H all the way and he was never booked to really beat him no matter how many times Benoit beat the Game you always knew that Tripper would return to the top and a month after Benoit lost Tripper took the title, what a suprise.

In TNA Benoit could be about wrestling and about what the buisness is wrestling not entertainment, can you imagine the classic matches with the likes of:

Chris Daniels

AJ Styles

Samoa Joe

Jeff Jarrett (note Benoit can work miracles)

Abyss

Raven (can't remember if this took place in WCW or WWE but never on a ppv level)

In TNA Benoit could be about wrestling and about what the buisness is wrestling not entertainment, can you imagine the classic matches with the likes of:

Chris Daniels

AJ Styles

Samoa Joe

Jeff Jarrett (note Benoit can work miracles)

Abyss

Raven (can't remember if this took place in WCW or WWE but never on a ppv level)

He might even get a DECENT run with the NWA heavyweight title.

I think that even the WWE would know it would be a silly mistake to lose Benoit.

As great as seeing him in TNA would be, I just cannot see it happening unless TNA offers him a contract comparable to the one WWE would offer him.

Although in saying that, someone like Benoit could probably make a hell of alot of money in TNA & the Indy scene as well as have a reduced workload.

Interesting .

Will be interesting with a lot of guys contracts coming up.

Cause naturally people will say they won't make much from TNA. But TNA gives them exposure, and 1 day a week, where as they can also work indies too, and make an absolute killing. Thus financially its not bad at all, and creatively I imagine, it would be much better.

If Benoit were to go, which isn't impossible, but quite unlikely. Then it could be like when he left WCW for WWE back in 2000.

Benoit will get alot more composure in the biggest wrestling company in the world(WWE) than TNA dont you think?

I'm sure that Jung means that TNA can give Benoit exposure as a main event guy on TV every week (basically 1 days work every 2 - 3 weeks for the TV tapings) which will then hold his value up on the Indy scene so he can pick and choose what shows he wants to work on the Indy scene.

Exactly Dan.

He's not got the exposure of WWE, but he's still got exposure with TNA.

Plus he can work indies, and work Japan and etc, and it might even raise his profile being able to have better matches and do different things, and maybe push WWE into wanting him back, for which he could get a better deal. Its a lot of options, but either way if he did decide to leave WWE, he certainly wouldn't lose anything.

Wow, I saw this a few days ago and didn't expect much to come from it. Now it's been reported pretty much everywhere by the big sources so I guess there's some truth to it.

I just can't understand how WWE would think it's a wise decision to start lowballing their talent at this time. Maybe they've managed to delude themselves into thinking that TNA are still no competition and they are in no danger of the gap closing. That couldn't be further from the truth. WWE should be making sure that all of their talent is signed up on long, safe contracts that pleases both parties. When Nash and Hall jumped to WCW, that gave them a huge boost and went a lot way towards making them the number one promotion in America. Remind me again, who were Nash and Hall? One a former World champion, the other a popular midcarder and IC title holder able to draw great heat? Doesn't sound too different to Benoit and Christian.

I think that some people could get carried away here though. Benoit is no spring chicken. He's getting older and his body can't be in perfect shape after serious neck surgery a while back. He also doesn't strike me as the kind of guy like Undertaker who'd stick around long after his usefulness is expired. Nor does he make me think of someone who'd squander all his cash. Benoit might prefer to stay at home with Nancy and the rest of his family and live off the money he'd made in some great runs with WCW and WWE.

The one thing that TNA do have in their favour is a relationship with New Japan. Benoit was partly trained in the NJPW dojo and made a name for himself there, before ECW and WCW came along with offers. If Benoit chose to go over and work for New Japan on a part time basis, TNA could use their good relationship with the Inokis to convince Benoit to work a few dates for them.

This is all to say that WWE won't come back with an improved offer of course. And for their own sake, they really need to do that. It's a dangerous time to try and be frugal with talent when you have another promotion with worldwide exposure gaining momentum.

How could Vince risk losing someone who makes the other guys look so good? Benoit may not be to everyones taste but the guy could carry Head to a great match.

Because the WWE isn't about Wrestling anymore, it's about Entertainment.

Benoit can't work the mic very well, so he's only good in-ring, which means that he's not the right type of character for the way the WWE is heading.

Is this actually on WO? I can't see it at all, but I may be missing it.

Anyway, I think people are overrating Benoit's talents here. If benoit did leave for TNA, the only thing they would get from him, is the name value, and let's face it, while Benoit is over, there is no way he is a big draw. He has been upper midcard for most of his career, and hasn't been in too many decent feuds within WWE. I doubt he would affect TNA's ratings much.

And of course, people seem to think he is a great in-ring worker even now. Benoit is coming up to the end of his career, and with injuries, he can't perform as well as he could. AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Alex Shelley and probably even Samoa Joe, as much s I don't like him, are better workers. While he could be the best in WWE, (Which he probably isn't - I'd put Angle, and Eddie above him), he would just be in the top 5 workers in TNA.

And his mic work is appalling. How many are worse than him on the mic? He's wooden, everything he says looks forced, and when he speaks, he looks like someone is squeezing his balls. Linda is just behind him on mic skill.

Would anyone want him headlining a company?

True enough, BUT the big pay off is still the match! And so surely you want to have your wrestlers of 'limited ability' made to look better by the likes of Benoit? Even those who dont like Benoit have to really see the truth in that.
  • Like 1

Is this actually on WO? I can't see it at all, but I may be missing it.

Anyway, I think people are overrating Benoit's talents here. If benoit did leave for TNA, the only thing they would get from him, is the name value, and let's face it, while Benoit is over, there is no way he is a big draw. He has been upper midcard for most of his career, and hasn't been in too many decent feuds within WWE. I doubt he would affect TNA's ratings much.

And of course, people seem to think he is a great in-ring worker even now. Benoit is coming up to the end of his career, and with injuries, he can't perform as well as he could. AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Alex Shelley and probably even Samoa Joe, as much s I don't like him, are better workers. While he could be the best in WWE, (Which he probably isn't - I'd put Angle, and Eddie above him), he would just be in the top 5 workers in TNA.

And his mic work is appalling. How many are worse than him on the mic? He's wooden, everything he says looks forced, and when he speaks, he looks like someone is squeezing his balls. Linda is just behind him on mic skill.

You say the only thing TNA would get from Benoit leaving WWE would be the name value (even though I disagree) that would be enough. Although he is not a mega darw, IF he did go to TNA, it would surely make some fans say , "Look, Chris Benoit is with that TNA on Spike TV, might be worth a watch" then it would be worth TNA's while.

As for the source, I think it actually comes from the WO Newsletter rather than being on the actual website.

I really want Benoit to leave as soon as his contract expires.Sure he may not get the exact amount of money he makes while being on the WWE but still im sure the thought of working one day a week,gettin a reasonable amount of money and being able to work indies as he pleases will make him think about TNA.

He's just been giving a crappy title run with the US title after being so high (World Heavyweight Champion).I just hope Benoit realizes that he can make a load of money too in TNA and the posibility of all the good match are inmense.

Benoit vs Joe

vs AJ

vs Daniels

vs Petey

And a run with the TNA World title,if he signs with TNA he should have a clause on his contract saying he has to have a TNA World Title run and can't be stripped of it for a minimun of 3 months.Just so Jarret doesn't pull move just like he did with Rhyno.

To be honest' date=' do you guys think it would effect WWE that much? I don't remember totally, but didn't his championship reign not draw that much. I think he's been underutilized for too long and is not the same as he used to be. But he'll fit right into TNA with the lack of mic skills:xyx[/quote']

Ratings wise, Benoits run did better than Cena is currently doing. Benoit in TNA along with Christian would be the most mouth watering prospect ever..Benoit vs Joe....WOW. TNA won't have him fighting Orlando Jordan every week for "Comedy" and timing his pisses, no, he will get to use his old Benoit style that hasn't been seen in ages.:thumbsup

To be honest' date=' do you guys think it would effect WWE that much? I don't remember totally, but didn't his championship reign not draw that much. I think he's been underutilized for too long and is not the same as he used to be. But he'll fit right into TNA with the lack of mic skills:xyx[/quote']

No, Eddie's rain was the stinker.

You guys also have to remember this, I'm pretty sure he lives in Tampa now too, just like Christian.

Benoit is an older guy, who probably still wants to wrestle, but more importantly wants to be with his family. Working select Indies and going to Orlando to work TNA twice a month has to be an appealing idea.

Anyway' date=' I think people are overrating Benoit's talents here. [i']If[/i] benoit did leave for TNA, the only thing they would get from him, is the name value, and let's face it, while Benoit is over, there is no way he is a big draw. He has been upper midcard for most of his career, and hasn't been in too many decent feuds within WWE. I doubt he would affect TNA's ratings much.

Personally I think Benoit would be a draw for the casual WWE fan if they saw him in TNA. Benoit is a pretty big name, is respected pretty much universally by wrestling fans and I think even casual fans recognise how good he is in the ring. Benoit has never really been jobbed out in the WWE and certainly for the last couple of years has been well protected (being booked as the better of Triple H in their matches where Trips would for once make another guy look like his superior and indeed beating Trips several times without Trips ever really getting the win back), as opposed to say a Rhyno who was pretty much jobbed out for the last couple of years in the WWE. A casual WWE fan tuning into TNA and seeing Billy Gunn or Raven or Rhyno isn't really going to be drawn into watching their product, whereas if they see someone like a Benoit who has been upper mid card and occasionally main event in the WWE, I believe they'll become interested in watching TNA. Is he The Rock? No, but I for one would watch more TNA if (and lets face it, I think its a big if) he showed up there.

And of course' date=' people seem to think he is a great in-ring worker even now. Benoit is coming up to the end of his career, and with injuries, he can't perform as well as he could. AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Alex Shelley and probably even Samoa Joe, as much s I don't like him, are better workers. While he [i']could[/i] be the best in WWE, (Which he probably isn't - I'd put Angle, and Eddie above him), he would just be in the top 5 workers in TNA.

You know I hate to sound clichéd, I hate to sound like the typical internet wrestling fans kissing Chris Benoit's ass but I just can't deny the fact that Benoit even now after all these years, after neck surgery, after Mother Nature catching up with him is STILL a great in-ring worker, probably arguably still the best in North America certainly. Can he perform as well as he could pre neck surgery? No, he can't, but he still remains a fantastic wrestler. AJ Styles? AJ STYLES?!? Since when did AJ Styles become a better worker than Chris Benoit? I could give a crap if Benoit is coming to the end of his career or not, AJ Styles isn't in the same league as Chris Benoit. Who the hell died and made a guy like AJ Styles with his horribly comical business exposing dance style gymnastics offense and complete lack of storytelling as good as Chris Benoit? I like Chris Daniels and I love Samoa Joe, but even they aren't as good as Benoit. Benoit on the indie circuit allowed to go all out without being toned down, given 30 minutes in every match would be by far, by FAR, the best wrestler on the indies. Benoit in the WWE, toned down and given 6 minutes to work with every week is STILL better than Chris Daniels or Samoa Joe. Alex who? Alex frigging Shelley a better worker than Chris Benoit? The world has gone mad. Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle are better overall packages of course. Eddie Guerrero is miles ahead of Angle in ring and even then I would still put Benoit ahead of Eddie in the WWE right now. Benoit is so far ahead of Angle in that ring it isn’t even funny.

And his mic work is appalling. How many are worse than him on the mic? He's wooden' date=' everything he says looks forced, and when he speaks, he looks like someone is squeezing his balls. Linda is just behind him on mic skill.[/quote']

This is a criticism which is thrown at Chris Benoit frequently. Is he Ric Flair on the mic? No, of course not. But he gets his point across in a timely manner, rather than spending say 20 minutes repeating the same thing 800 times like that Triple H does. I'd rather listen to Benoit on the mic than Triple H. It may also have something to do with the promos that are fed to him by the monkeys in creative. Instead of just letting him be the everyman, who loves wrestling more than life itself, who talks passionately about wrestling, they feed him horribly wooden promos instead of just letting him be himself. I recall a promo or video package leading up to Backlash 2004 where Benoit talked about his love of wrestling and about how all he ever wanted to be was World Champion. He delivered those lines perfectly and THAT was how they should book Chris Benoit .

As in headlining TNA? As opposed to Jeff Jarrett? There isn't a sane man alive who wouldn't want Chris Benoit headlining TNA as an alternative to Jeff Jarrett. Even to fans who have never watched TNA, Benoit would be a much better option as the main guy in it than a Jarrett or a Rhino or Abyss or Monty Brown or Jeff Hardy or whoever the hell else they have main eventing these days.

WWE is stupid... people like Beoint , Christian and co are the backbone of WWE... the people who go out there on a 'wrestling' show and do what most of the WWE roster can't.. put on a good match...

if WWE start to let go the stars that can wrestle they will loose more and more intrest.... Chrsitian has practically signed with TNA and that will boost TNA popularity in Canada.. i hope ben oit goes there too... Benoit vs Christian in a company where they AREN'T misued...

i hope benoit goes.... to TNA.. along with Rey and co and all the others that are being mis used in WWE...