Sky Sports ruining football

Murph

Many people are now saying that Sky (Sky Sports) is ruining the excitment of big game football.

I, for one, do not agree, but nor do I disagree, as I am a footballing fanatic, but do believe that Sky does tend to show far too much football.

IN CONCLUSION-

Do you think that

A) It does ruin football

or

B) No, it's just as good as ever

How the hell is sky ruining football?>

They show a lot of it. Jesus thats awful.

Even if it does show too much so what? If they didn't show much, Liverpool-Man Utd would have still been crap. Is that their fault also?

Ridiculous notion.

It's ruinign football in a way, because there is still a lot of people without Sky, or Sky Sports who get nothing except Match Of The Day. Personally, I don't think they are, but I would like to see some sort of deal that allows Premiership football, on BBC, or ITV.

In a way Sky are ruining football by showing an excessive amount of games-which surely must have an impact on some attendances and gate receipts (especially in the lower leagues).

This is a terrible example, but who would want to travel on a wet wednesday night to Cleethorpes, if Grimsby were in FA Cup replay action against Wallsall if it was live on Sky Sports?

Or another example a few weeks ago Sunderland were due to play West Ham at 3pm, but Sky decided to change the fixture to 5.15pm to show on Premiership Plus. The last train on a Saturday from Sunderland (via Newcastle) to London is at 7pm, which means that thousands of West Ham fans would have had to spend money on a night's accomodation intead of getting the last train home if the match would have stayed at 3pm.

But I think the positives outweigh the negatives and I think that most football viewers would agree that its great to have so much football on.

Edited by FreeSpirit

Sky is definatly ruining the traditional scheduling for football, although only in the Premiership obviously. Some would say there is football overkill on the TV but if people are still watching it then its not really Sky's problem to change the way they cover football.

It all depends on your point of view really, if you like the traditional 3pm kick off every saturday, then yeah, Sky has ruined it. If you like football everynight then Sky is the best thing to happen since Bacon and Cheese were first put on a batch.

In a way Sky are ruining football by showing an excessive amount of games-which surely must have an impact on some attendances and gate receipts (especially in the lower leagues).

But lower league attendances have been going up over recent years, its only in the Premiership that clubs are struggling.

If it wasn't for Sky we would never have seen the great foreign players Like Zola Bergkamp etc because the teams wouldn't be able to afford their wages

It was breaking away from the football league that did that, Sky were just in the right place at the right time.

The last train on a Saturday from Sunderland (via Newcastle) to London is at 7pm, which means that thousands of West Ham fans would have had to spend money on a night's accomodation intead of getting the last train home if the match would have stayed at 3pm.

Ha, they could always do what i did and spend a night in the train station, 2 days before Christmas.

I went to 6 games of football during October ranging from Internationals, Football league games, League Cup games and even a Champions league game.

Now it's not all televisions fault as it sometimes comes down to other television companys and police advice, but out of those 6 games not 1 was a traditional Saturday afternoon 3pm kick off.

Although that may be a little inconvinenent, you can't fault the television companys for pumping money into the game. So i guess it's a price we have to pay. If you also consider the service the televison companys provide the viewer (especially Sky). Then i guess you can't really complain.

The only way Sky are ruining football is moving the games to ridiculous start times just so they can show them on tv! The main example was a few weeks ago when an Everton game was moved to kick off at 11:15 on a Sunday morning! I mean how stupid a start time is that? But of course as others have mentioned its the TV companies that are pumping the money into the game and without it things would be a lot different.