Worst Excuses in Football

The B-Man

Italy have come out with a few I have to admit, my favourite being the fixed 2-2 draw between Sweden and Denmark. The sad thing is I'd still stand by them all, particularly the dodgy refereeing in Korea/Japan 2002.

Also, I have to admit sitting up here watching the BBC that England haven't been much better, listening to their excuses for why they lose sometimes really makes me want to cry. The Swiss referee one was quite pathetic really, no need for the poor guy to get so much abuse.

These days Mourinho comes out with a few crackers whenever Chelsea don't get their way as well. The denial that Charlton beat them for example was classic.

Only other one I can think of from the top of my head is Aberdeen fans' obsession with claiming that referees in the SPL are old-firm biased and hate Aberdeen, when the truth is that really they couldn't care less about them. Infact that reminds me of Rangers excuse for losing to Inter, again about a supposed dodgy referee, which was pathetic as well.

Saying that, the one about the kits is a goddamn awful excuse if ever I heard one!

Although it doesn't count as an excuse for a defeat I love it when Arsene Wenger claims he never used to see the times when Vieria got sent off...

Yes Mr Wenger all 8 times in your colours...

I didn't see the incident he'd cry... 24 hours after a game sometimes when no doubt it had been all over the sports news and match of the day and no doubt right in front of him on the PITCH! Where all managers should be looking!

Although it doesn't count as an excuse for a defeat I love it when Arsene Wenger claims he never used to see the times when Vieria got sent off...

Yes Mr Wenger all 8 times in your colours...

I didn't see the incident he'd cry... 24 hours after a game sometimes when no doubt it had been all over the sports news and match of the day and no doubt right in front of him on the PITCH! Where all managers should be looking!

Incidentally, Wenger must be the worst 'voyeur' in the world considering that he never sees anything ...

I think that in the match you are referring to, United pulled a goal back in the second half and it ended 3-1. Therefore, as they lost 3-0 in the grey shirts and won the second half 1-0 with the new shirts, they may have had a point. I personally don't think so but ... people have strange superstitions. After all they didn't win a match in those shirts all season, a season in which they won the league. The 'can't see each other because of the grey strips' excuse was probably nonsense but playing in those shirts may well have affected their confidence

I think that in the match you are referring to' date=' United pulled a goal back in the second half and it ended 3-1. Therefore, as they lost 3-0 in the grey shirts and won the second half 1-0 with the new shirts, they may have had a point. I personally don't think so but ... people have strange superstitions. After all they didn't win a match in those shirts all season, a season in which they won the league. The 'can't see each other because of the grey strips' excuse was probably nonsense but playing in those shirts may well have affected their confidence[/quote']

See this is what really happened... United stunk in the first half and where being out played and went in 3-0 down...

Fergusons excuse:

'the players couldn't see each other' when Man Utd was 3-0 down to Southampton....Ferguson said the players couldn't see each other becasue the strips were hard to see...so they changed strips and lost 5-0 :lol

This however didn't happen... Because as Wolverine pointed out we played better (but still not great) and pulled one back through Ryan Giggs (who had come off the bench).

And the shirt we changed into? The Blue and White Striped one with players names faintly on it in the background of the white...

That was a cool shirt.

Not much of an excuse but:

I remember Man UTD were playing Leicster (a few years back), and Leicster were awarded a penalty. Barthez (Man UTD's keeper at the time) just kicked the post and refused to move, even when the referee blew his whistle. Muzzy Izzet stepped up and scored, but for some starnge, sickening reason, it had to be re-taken. Izzet then stood up again and missed, sending the ball wide.

Strange, but it still annoys me.

ALSO:

I remember once seeing, perhaps, the most extraordinary thing that I have ever seen. The score was something like Indonesia 39-40 Phillipenes. A goal fest? No, but an OWN GOAL FEST? Yes. The winners of the game had to go to Vietnam to play and obviously neither side wanted to go to Vietnam. FIFA considered banning both teams for life, but I think that they just got heavily fined. Ridiculous, eh?

Edited by Murph

Not much of an excuse but:

I remember Man UTD were playing Leicster (a few years back), and Leicster were awarded a penalty. Barthez (Man UTD's keeper at the time) just kicked the post and refused to move, even when the referee blew his whistle. Muzzy Izzet stepped up and scored, but for some starnge, sickening reason, it had to be re-taken. Izzet then stood up again and missed, sending the ball wide.

Strange, but it still annoys me.

ALSO:

I remember once seeing, perhaps, the most extraordinary thing that I have ever seen. The score was something like Indonesia 39-40 Phillipenes. A goal fest? No, but an OWN GOAL FEST? Yes. The winners of the game had to go to Vietnam to play and obviously neither side wanted to go to Vietnam. FIFA considered banning both teams for life, but I think that they just got heavily fined. Ridiculous, eh?

Yeah that was very interesting that.

Fergusons excuse:

'the players couldn't see each other' when Man Utd was 3-0 down to Southampton....Ferguson said the players couldn't see each other becasue the strips were hard to see...so they changed strips and lost 5-0 :lol

They actually lost that game at Southampton 6-3. They did however lose 5-0 six days earlier at Newcastle.