How long till Cena turns Heel???

carlito is cool

After last nights crowd reaction and pretty much every crowd reaction Cena has had since Summerslam its clear that the majority of fans are turning on him (barring all 8-12 year olds and females). Its seems clear to me that the WWE are gonna have to turn him heel sooner rather than later. He isn't the most popular guy on Raw anymore and the reactions that he has been getting at ppvs must be frustrating to the wwe writers as they desperately wanna make cena the new stone cold steve austin. Imagine Austin, Rock, Foley getting such audible boos while playing there face characters back in 1998-2000? Not a chance. Bottom line is there something about Cena which ALOT of fans don't like myself included, apart from the cheesy street thug gimmick which im just not buying i mean the guy can't even throw a proper punch for god sakes. His very unfunny and stale promos, i thought they were great at first but the novelty soon wore off im sick of hearing about fags and peoples nuts. Add this to his limited in ring abilities and the fact that he is being shoved down everbodys throats the fans have turned on him. I expect Cena to drop the title to angle or Hbk at Sseries and be a fully fledged heel by the turn of the year.

By the way i think he will be a much more compotent heel than face. I could see him playing the heel role in a way where he would probably end up getting a face reaction a'la steve austin 96-97. However at this present time the full on super unbeatable beat up the boss face gimmick just isn't working for him.

WWE's target demographic, which i believe is 18-34 year old males, have simply grown tired of the gimmick. A lot of the probems, in my opinion, have come from the added recognition that TNA are getting. Fans are now wanting to see guys with pro wrestling skills - that can include mat based or high flying

Cena is recognised as not the greatest wrestler, but then again, neither is Batista, so why aren't fans giving Dave the stick as well?

I think this is probably down to two things...

1) Cena's gimmick, as i've said, is becoming stale. When you have a gimmick such as Cena's which is very strong in terms of it's presentation, then can only last so long. Unfortunately, i see this happening with Mr Kennedy on Smackdown! in the long run

2) There are loads of guys on the RAW roster (Angle, HBK, Triple H) that could, over a longer period of time, maintain fan interest with their gimmicks. Batista, on the other hand, really hasn't got too much competition for the title on Smackdown. If he had a 2 or 3 month run against a solidified Guerrero heel, then maybe he would be in the same boat as Cena

Cena needs to drop the title before the end of the year before this demographic gets seriously peed. I myself, can tolerate Cena and do at times enjoy his work - obviously more so on the mic. He should then be around the main event scene for a month or so before turning heel which would draw added interest

I've never been one for changing face during a championship run, so i hope it doesn't happen with this one

• Like 1

i would like him to Turn heel soon but he is obviously really over with the fans so staying Face is the best thing to do at the moment, his heel run from late 2002 to mid 2003 was good he did get good heel reaction but keeping him Face will not only keep marks happy but it will make sure that his Merch seels nice and well.

i would like him to Turn heel soon but he is obviously really over with the fans so staying Face is the best thing to do at the moment' date=' his heel run from late 2002 to mid 2003 was good he did get good heel reaction but keeping him Face will not only keep marks happy but it will make sure that his Merch seels nice and well.[/quote']

Thats the thing hes not obviously really over with the fans, if you saw taboo tuesday you would have realised out of the Angle,HBK and Cena he was the least over out of the 3. I agree with Telf make him drop the title give it a few weeks then turn him heel.

a heel turn might help him but then what would they do with him there is not that many storys you can do with a guy who thinks he is black..

of course the fans where going for HBK but i have noticed the fans dont cheer as loud as they use to do for cena.

Thats because Michaels isn't as over at the moment as Cena used to be, Cena has had that gimmick for a long time and never had any trouble finding work in the wwe, so that point about his gimmick was not needed and is irelevant to this topic. He was a lot better as a heel and I believe that the board are starting to realise that now.

I think it comes down to the fact that Cena isn't being protected as much as he was just a few months ago. In his feud with JBL, he stuck to cutting promos instead of relying on his ring work to get him over and that was when he started getting the main event style crowd reactions. Even although in his summer-long feud with Jericho he occassionally stepped into the ring to wrestle matches (mostly against Carlito, Christian or Jericho), he was able to do most of his talking infront of the live crowd and get them excited. He used the cheap pop (which isn't a bad thing) to it's best use and had a catchphrases the crowd could say along with him.

These days, all he seems to do is cut promos backstage. That's not his strength. Cena's gimmick is pretty much all about being a WWE fan who made it into the big time, and he's respectful to his roots. He has a connection with the audience, and it should be used. Instead, all of his micwork is done backstage which obviously isn't going to excite the crowd as much if he was doing his shtick live, right in front of them. He's also working far too many matches on his own where he's clearly not capable of putting on great showings in that environment.

I think the best thing to do with Cena would be to take him out of the ring unless it's necessary and have him only wrestle at PPVs. An injury angle might work pretty well with that. If he's allowed to hit the ring, get the crowd going and cut a decent promo with a lot of intensity, he's just as over as anyone in the company. When he's just another wrestler who doesn't get a chance to cut a promo infront of the fans, he's seen as being less talented than the Angles or HBKs of the world and it's hard for the fans to favour him.

I'm not big on the whole "Sportz Entertainment" philosophy of how a wrestling show should be booked. It prefer the old school wrestling aspect. But Cena isn't a wrestler, he's a Sports Entertainer. Play to his strengths, let him talk infront of the fans, keep him out of the ring and he'll do a great job. Treat him like he's Chris Benoit by giving him no live promo time and expect him to work wonders in the ring and he'll be exposed to everyone, making it easy for the fans to boo him.

It's not difficult stuff. I just can't see why WWE don't book Cena in a way that utilises his strengths to the fullest.

Thats because Michaels isn't as over at the moment as Cena used to be' date=' Cena has had that gimmick for a long time and never had any trouble finding work in the wwe, so that point about his gimmick was not needed and is to this topic. He was a lot better as a heel and I believe that the board are starting to realise that now.[/quote']

im sorry but my point about his gimmick is not to put him down personaly but his gimmick is just plain bad he cant rap. real rapers laugh at him they say he is a joke.. if he is like that in real life then that is his choice and i will not talk down on that but if it is just a act then there is little they can do with him..

the problem with the WWE right now is they push certain products so hard that fans start to turn on them.. i liked cena when he first came in but once he won the tittle i got tired of him

I agree with that, but his gimmick is getting him work which is where you went wrong saying that there isn't a lot of feuds for someone who wants to be black. I agree with Russ, Cena isn't using his strengths anymore, I have no idea why, maybe he is trying to improve his in ring ability or maybe the WWE were just tired of the same style and wanted Cena to try and do something different and expand himself now he has the chance and the free will while he is over.

you say there is alot of things they could do with his gimmick maybe you are right but i doubt the writters would come up with anything good for a while..

i really dont blame cena i blame the writing team for the fans turning on him...

i hope they can write in a good story line for a heel turn.. maybe even get a stable going..

the only problem now is that the WWE does not think like we do.. they cram prouducts down are throat and dont stop till it backfires on them.. then one it backfires they pick a new product to ram down are throat.. if Cena looses the tittle he will become mid-card at best.. i feel sorry for him he has worked all this time just to have the fans turn on him.. i would not be happy if i would go out everyday and try to please the fans just to have them turn on me out of nowhere

WWE's target demographic, which i believe is 18-34 year old males, have simply grown tired of the gimmick. A lot of the probems, in my opinion, have come from the added recognition that TNA are getting. Fans are now wanting to see guys with pro wrestling skills - that can include mat based or high flying

Cena is recognised as not the greatest wrestler, but then again, neither is Batista, so why aren't fans giving Dave the stick as well?

I think this is probably down to two things...

1) Cena's gimmick, as i've said, is becoming stale. When you have a gimmick such as Cena's which is very strong in terms of it's presentation, then can only last so long. Unfortunately, i see this happening with Mr Kennedy on Smackdown! in the long run

2) There are loads of guys on the RAW roster (Angle, HBK, Triple H) that could, over a longer period of time, maintain fan interest with their gimmicks. Batista, on the other hand, really hasn't got too much competition for the title on Smackdown. If he had a 2 or 3 month run against a solidified Guerrero heel, then maybe he would be in the same boat as Cena

Cena needs to drop the title before the end of the year before this demographic gets seriously peed. I myself, can tolerate Cena and do at times enjoy his work - obviously more so on the mic. He should then be around the main event scene for a month or so before turning heel which would draw added interest

I've never been one for changing face during a championship run, so i hope it doesn't happen with this one

Cena should've been left alone. The way he was two years ago was the way they should have left him. Not being a good guy or a bad guy just being out for himself. Hitting people with foreign objects,doing pearl harbor jobs from behind, and cutting them down on the mic was where Cena shined when he was on Smackdown.

The problem with Cena being turned back to the Dark side is that Raw has wayyyy to many heels already. I mean at this point who is the top heel on Raw? HHH? Edge? Calitto? At this point IMO Cena should be given the opportunity to be a full fledged heel while being the WWE champion.

Its only fitting. I mean being a face while being the World champ gets you nothing but cheers and tons of screw-jobs in between.

If the WWE is going to continue to keep the belt on Cena until HHH gets his long winded shot at him the least they could do is to remind us why we embraced Cena in the first place.:roll

Cena has the most stale gimmick EVER!!!

I don't care about a heel turn... once he turns he probably won't get heat...

he sucks in ring.. boring promos.... look is annoying... he sucks.. drop the title to HBK at Survivor Series.. then let HBK have a mini feud with Cena.. win.. then have him feud with HHH and Angle...

no-one (bar 10 year old girls) care about Cena any more.... and why is WWE listening to pre teen girls when their major fan base that they are pissing of are guys and over the age of 12!

Cena's heel run was pretty good. The way he handled it, and insulted the fans and stars was brilliant. I am also sick of his babyface run, but what really gets on my nerves is the way how some people keep repeating the old "Cena is repetitive, he has 3 moves" etc. I understand when some people say I know this has been said 100 times, as that, in my own oppinion is acceptable. Cena would do well with a Heel turn, he did it well last time, and I know that some people are completely sick of him and just wait the day that the whole arena booes him.

I can't see WWE turning Cean for awhile yet, he brings in too much money in merchandise to turn him,

The crowd reaction last night was mainly cos he was in a match that involved Michaels IMO, anyone in there on that night with him was gonna be boo'd

But I would much rarther see Cena as a heel then a face, we shall have to wait and see tho

Unfortunately, for a guy booed a lot, he's still the big merchandise draw and lets face it - WWE may not aim to 8-12 year olds but they're the ones most likely to buy the merchandise come Christmas time, which leaves the WWE with a problem.

I think for Cena, he either needs a big protection period where he starts wrestling far less and making his character more serious, or turning heel and just ripping the crap out of everything. In a perfect world, maybe you could stick Cena against a heel who often gets cheered - say Angle, but at a venue like MSG where smarter fans are at. Knowing Cena will get booed, they should have him get beat down in the hope that the fans turn on him and cheer the beatdown. A few weeks later, Cena should come back and rip what I would hope to be an awesomely heated promo where he screams and vents his disgust at the WWE fans who think that cas they made him, they can break him too. He can denounce the rapper gimmick but remain as in the clothes etc, and just be an angry young kid. I think that he could quite easily remain a strong heel if protected still, and used as a coward etc. He seems eager to learn and is still young, and adds at least one new move to his offense whenever I see him, and his personality suggests that he can work many different gimmicks which I feel will help him immensibly compared to an orton or a Batista who are generally one-dimensional. He turned face over a year ago so it hasn't been too short a time to justify a turn, but he needs a babyface to work off - Foley would be perfect because Cena can brawl, bleed, take killer chair shots, and would have some great promos. In fact, if I were Cena, I'd use the whole Cane Dewey angle from ECW as inspiration. Foley could do far more with him than Carlito, and it would both both men wonders to carry the storyline through promos more than unnecessary violence on more occassions than needed.

I agree with Draven about how Cena should turn heel. I think (and I said it in the Taboo Tuesday thread) that the best thing he could do is turn heel and let rip on the fans. He must. He simply must do this.

If Cena let rip on the fans for a couple of weeks, gains some serious heat, and then mutates into a bad-ass who doesn't give a fudge about anyone then I wouldn't be surprised to see Cena getting a "Triple H pop"; as in, he is a heel who gets cheered as well.

Cena started going downhill, in my opinion, when he started doing one thing: when he encouraged the crowd to rap along with him. This makes him stale.

Very stale.

If you are going to be an awesome freestyle rapper then you have to come out with fresh rhymes every single week. Cena comes out with "suck deez nutz" every week and although for the first few weeks the crowd loved it because they could join in with their hero, it quickly undermined his credentials as a freestyle rapper because he's predictable, and definitely not freestyle.

When fans start doubting the credentials of your gimmick, couple with the fact that most can see you're not an A-League wrestler, then people start to see through you. "You can't see me". Indeed.

Despite this, I still think Cena has the credentials to be a champ, and I would keep the belt on him.

If I could book Cena right now I would have him turn heel on the fans and churn out the most awesome freestyle raps. Think Cena pre-US Title and you get my drift. Make the fans say "ohhh" whenever he rhymes, and not "suck deez nutz". I would then have him deck a couple of mid-carders and also have him do anti-fan raps.

Then we need the big Main Event feud. We need someone who is over, some one we can boo or cheer easily, and most importantly, someone who won't do the comedy thing and try to freestyle back to Cena, because this will undermine Cena once again. The Main Even t feud has got to be someone who is unimpressed and gets irate at Cena whilst Cena rips at him. Simple really.

Triple H could be a great feud, there's so much scope there.

Batista could be a good feud as well.

Personally though, I think having Cena let rip on the fans and then turn on the biggest heel Raw has right now would be the way forward.

I would have Cena feud with Edge.

Just imagine the kind of stuff Cena could come out with when talking about Edge!! Imagine, just two or three weeks after making the fans hate him with an "Anti-Fan" rap, he then denounces Edge and Lita in highly hilarious fashion before having some great(ish), exciting matches.

It's a marketing dream. Probably.

Cheers!

Cena needs to stay face until HHH, or whoever it is, beats him for the title. I'm not in favour of alignment turns during a title reign.

I've noticed that WWE tend to mess around with people's alignments a bit too often e.g.

Booker T was pushed as a huge face for WrestleMania XIX only to be snubbed of a title run with the signing of Goldberg. He eventually ends up on SmackDown! where he has a lacklustre run as heel, turns face again for about six months and just the other day? Heel again. Utterly pointless. A guy like Booker should be kept as face for a sustained period of time.

Kane has been turned so many times I've lost count. He has his own little fanbase and he will often get a pop but people want to see him as a destructive heel monster, not some pathetic babyface wearing a polo shirt making heart-felt statements about his dead baby.

Shawn Michaels' brief heel turn was completely botched. Although it was fun while it lasted, HBK is better as a full on face at this stage of his career and having him work heel for only a month or so blows. If you're gonna do something, do it properly.

Other examples include Big Show, Paul London (what was up with that "teased" heel turn), Randy Orton (alignment turns have actually totally killed his character, that and Cowboy Bob/Undertaker feud) and Eddie Guerrero.

WWE should make their damn minds up. Keep people as they are for at least a year or two. Stop changing them around so often. Consistency makes superstars. Benoit being booked as a face for the best part of his WWE tenure made him a great champion when he was eventually pushed. The same could apply to anyone decent as long as the character wasn't messed with.

Cena has to lose that Belt now! His boos are getting stronger and it's so obviouse now the only people who cheer him are girls and boys who's voices havent broken yet, everyone else are booing him. And its easy to see why, he is the most untalented wrestler that has ever held a world title, I think David Arquette was more talented than him.

Dave we get you don't like him, but jeez thats an incredibly bias post. So he's worse than Nash, Yokozuna, Andre, etc?

Worse than Arquette please?

Sure he gets boos, but its nowhere near as bad people are making out. If you only read at TWO and now watch the shows, you'd think he was getting booed out of the building.

Why should he lose the title? He's their biggest merchandise seller, regardless of what everyone who hates Cena says, he's still pretty over, he's young, and at the mo the most marketable guy they have.

Yeah lets take the title off him, cause he's so clearly doing nothing for them.

Maybe put it on Big Vis. He'd change everything.

Jeez I've heard of bias, but for goodness sake, I don't even like the guy, but I'm not Stevie Wondered to the obvious point, of him being immensly marketable.

Sure he gets boos' date=' but its nowhere near as bad people are making out. If you only read at TWO and now watch the shows, you'd think he was getting booed out of the building.[/quote']

The problem is he is getting booed out of the building. Ever since Summerslam he has started to get more and more boos as the weeks go on. At first they were just small sections, but now over half the people in the arena are booing the hell out of him. On RAW, and at Taboo Tuesday this week he was getting 'Cena sucks' chants. Didnt you see when Angle and HBK started double teaming him? The crowd absolutely loved it. Not the type of reactions id like my number one babyface to receive...