Should Work Permit Rules Be Relaxed/Brought More Into Line For The Whole Of The EU?

Clarkey

Being a Gooner I've been very engrossed in this issue during Wenger's reign due to his policy of plucking the talent young from foriegn soils in order to drum in his Arsenal mindset as they mature. Players like Petr Cech whom he has missed out on, and Yaya Toure (now impressing at Olympiakos) would be at Arsenal had it not been for the strict work permit system. Players like Kaka and his South American collegues could have been gracing the Premiership, yet due to our strict work permits when in comparison to Italy/Spain/France he was able to head to AC Milan and not an English club. Every year Africa becomes a better factory. There are more and more academies propping up, and they look more serious than before. Wengers strong links with the academy in the Ivory Coast linked to Arsenal's feeder club Beveren has lead to the fruits of Kolo Toure and Eboue, and the yet to get a work permit Marco Ne and other colleagues at Beveren. Eboue only got his chance to join due to marrying a Belgium citizen. Another point in case we can quickly look at is Michael Essien. Chelsea bought him for £30 million but if there were no rules, he would have signed for Arsenal or Manure as a youngster, and for peanuts. In the current way of working, the French clubs can pick up these youngsters from Africa on the cheap and cash in at a later date, while Spain and Italy take the more complete Africans and the top crop of young talent in South America, with here we have access to neither and are left having to pay extortionate amounts at later dates (but then a South American with a good lawyer can find an Italian parent..;) ) Then you have guys like Benni McCarthy who is from South Africa but estranged from the South African FA and has missed many caps - and therefore not eligible for a work permit. Yet Benni is a top striker, has won the Champions League, and could potentially be huge in the Premiership.

I understand whole heartedly that if the work permit system was relaxed we would see more foreign talent coming over to our league, and with every Kaka and Essien we would also be abunded with dud's. Also I understand the point that will be inevitably made about it limiting the English players chances. If they had any sense or ambition, they too would get off their butts and go and seek jobs around Europe. If a French or African or Italian player can leave his country at age 18 and go and seek a job in UK, why are the English players too lazy and too uninterested in developing their talent - to go to France or Holland or wherever, get jobs and develop their skills and exposure? The best thing that could happen to English football would be for a shedload more young English players to be forced to go out and find jobs on the continent - at whatever level is appropriate to their talent. Their football would be better for it and their character would be better for it. This pampered world of protectionist UK work rules is what creates wastes like Bentley and Pennant who think the world owes them something and that they should get a jersey because they are English. I mean who gives a damn? If they had to go out and get a job in Holland or France, instead of the luxury of a home where good players are kept out - believe you me, they would respect their profession a hella lot more. And they'd be better players for England by virtue of the effort they'd have to make. In return we'd be getting the fruits of South America/Africa, etc etc improving the quality of our Premiership and working with the cream of talent that is good enough to rise to the top here to get their standards up that peak higher.

I think the least we could have was a steady system that is standard across Europe, where we have Spain with their limited numbers of non-EU players and Holland with their no restriction whatsoever. Whats your thinking on this one?

I actually would prefer there to be more ENGLISH or should I say BRITISH players in the Premiership... the more forign player that are brought in the less chances good British talent gets to come through and that hurts the national team in the future...

I'd much rarther see the England team do well then Arsenal or Man U or Chelsea in the Champ League

(but I am a Barnsley fan so :lol)

Im not much of a footie follower but I think that the lack of home grown talent in part comes down to the fact that teams can get alot of guys from abroad instead. if that changed Engtland could have success like in 1966 and Scotland might be able to better the success of 1967 when we defeated the world champions.

I think however as Shevchenko, Trezeguet and co. have proven (that it isn't the case), this is just all you assuming that these players would have chosen the Premiership over Serie A/La Liga, which particularly in the case of Brazilian players, just isn't the case at all.

You could relax it yes but I think it'd only cause more of an influx of African players rather than anything else, and I really question the desperate need for Chiwongas, Ungabungas and the like filling up English starting 11s.

The whole idea of relaxing work permits goes further than just within football you have to remember, and to be honest I think it's in the interest of the country that we have stricter work permit laws regarding non-EU citizens. Infact, this Other sports topic could easily spark off another sub topic on Immigration and whether the UK is too lax already etc.

But we won't go there eh :P

I think however as Shevchenko, Trezeguet and co. have proven (that it isn't the case), this is just all you assuming that these players would have chosen the Premiership over Serie A/La Liga, which particularly in the case of Brazilian players, just isn't the case at all.

Not me dude I mean why would they want to come to the premiership??:eek

I don't know if thats sarcasm or not but if it is then all I can say is the Premiership doesn't suit players like Kaka, Shevchenko, Trezeguet and co, and these players as a result don't have any interest in living in England for starters (Yes, live in Manchester over Rome for example, what joy that would bring them. Thats probably one of the main reasons Arsenal and Chelsea are one of the few teams to get the proper decent players).

Cafu and co have no interest in coming to a league where the only glamour ties come against Chelsea/Arsenal/Man United, relaxing work permit laws wouldn't change this I'm afraid. If you think that it would, then I think you might be slightly misguided as to how they see the Premiership. Not everybody believes its the best league in the world remember.

There's a limit to what money can buy.

I'm not implying that simply relaxing the system would instantly entice all these players over here, I completely agree with everything you have stated Simon. But I feel a steady system across the whole of Europe would enable more potential top talents heading here younger, like the afore mentioned Essien, and Kaka who was very close to joining the Spud's and Arsenal but work permit issues prevented the move, so Milan got there first. Having the oppurtunity to get these players at the younger age is the point I am getting at, and with the oppurtunity there will be those that do slip under the net and thus grace our league before gracing the likes of La Liga and Serie A.
  • Like 1

I get your point then and I guess it's actually a good one.. and in a perfect world I'd probably agree that it'd be good from the perspective of an English club but I still wouldn't want work permit laws in this country relaxed, not just for football but for any sphere of work, for the time being.

I think its still in the interest of the English game to encourage more top English talent to come through, and if I was English I'd rather have young Walkers, Johnsons and Smiths coming through the ranks than Chungabunga, Chesterinho and co invading the game. That is just my opinion though, I can't feel strongly about it since I don't actually like the Premiership :)