Hulk Hogan - Still a superstar *** includes RAW spoilers ***

The Beltster

Every time Hogan comes back, there are a group of bashers who LOVE to take a huge shite on him and his performances, without fail. I think now its time for those people to shut up.

After watching WWE TV for the past few weeks, we have seen the returns of guys like Vader, Goldust, Jim Duggan, Koko B Ware, Superfly, Greg Valentine, Kamala, Piper, Bob Orton and loads more. 99% of these guys look like complete crap, appearance and performance wise. Its painful to see.

We have also seen appearing (but not wrestling) Ted DiBiase, Iron Shiek, Nikolai Volkoff, Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes and many others, 99% of who look like crap aswell.

Back to Hogan, whenever he turns up, he makes sure he is in great shape, looks the part and is ready to roll. Can you name one single other guy who was in their prime in the Hulkamania era, who could have worked the match Hogan did at SummerSlam? I cant...

Fact is, Hogan is not as bad as people love to make out he is. Here is a guy who was working with all these guys, they are all the same generation, and yet Hogan is still in incredible shape, makes sure he is looking great, had his wind, can work a 15-20 minute match and still looks like the superstar he is.

Next time you decide to crap on Hogan, take a look at 99% of the rest of the guys who were in their prime when he was, or even came into their prime AFTER (like Vader) and give the guy a little more credit.

• Like 1

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of it is to do with how Hogan is built up to be something more than your typical wrestler. WWE and indeed Hogan himself deserve praise for that, because they've done a great job of establishing him as THE legend in wrestling.

I'm not saying that WWE could put Koko B Ware or Kamala in the same spot and expect them to headline a PPV with a great buyrate, but Hogan is always pushed to the top and is always in the big feud. The rest of these guys are lucky to go 3:00 on Heat without jobbing.

Again though, it's WWE and Hogan who should get the credit for making the character of Hulk Hogan out to be wrestling's superhero. Everyone else is booked pretty poorly 90% of the time to be nothing more than a parody of their former self, when Hogan is doing his usual routine and getting a great reaction.

I dont hate Hogan, nor do I love him. Granted he's done an unbelievable amount for the Industry, bought more publicity to it than Vader, Goldust or Kamala. He does look $100,000,000 when you see him unlike SOMEONE.

Yet I think that people dislike him because of his personality. Granted, Jerry Lawler wont be remembered like the Hulkster but he's put Christian, Hassan and tazz over. Terry doesnt want to lose to hbk or austin. He doesnt even forget about jobs he has done (warrior).

I respect Hulk Hogan the wrestler, but Terry Bolea the man leaves a lot to be desired.

I dont hate Hogan, nor do I love him. Granted he's done an unbelievable amount for the Industry, bought more publicity to it than Vader, Goldust or Kamala. He does look $100,000,000 when you see him unlike SOMEONE.

Yet I think that people dislike him because of his personality. Granted, Jerry Lawler wont be remembered like the Hulkster but he's put Christian, Hassan and tazz over. Terry doesnt want to lose to hbk or austin. He doesnt even forget about jobs he has done (warrior).

I respect Hulk Hogan the wrestler, but Terry Bolea the man leaves a lot to be desired.

In 2002/2003, Hogan jobbed to Rock (twice), Big Show, Angle, Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, HHH...I wouldnt say he doesnt put people over, he just wont put people over if he doesnt think there is a point to it. If you job out Hulk Hogan, you kill his gimmick and then he is worthless, plus, if everybody is beating him, what is a win over Hulk Hogan worth anymore?

Just a thought...

yeah but then again look at it like this. in 2002/2003 most of the list you said he helped put over was already establish stars in there own right. The only one who wasnt a superstar as say was lesnar. However I think that he should only come back to make a promo or so. Not wrestle full time, there are alot more charmasic wrestlers in the WWE which should have been put on TV time or even a match.

Belty, you've done it again!

Make me think, that is (and it bloody hurts)

Now you've mentioned the list of old timers - the Orton's, the Pipers etc. It does make me think why the internet hates Hogan. Quite possibly because he comes back in and around the top, but that's Hogan, he draws and that's just the way it is

Simply, i couldn't care less that Piper was on Smackdown last week in a match, same with Cowboy Bob. But it does turn my head when Hogan is on the card. Strange that, so on this one, I totally agree with you :thumbsup

I think part of it is to do with how Hogan is built up to be something more than your typical wrestler. WWE and indeed Hogan himself deserve praise for that, because they've done a great job of establishing him as THE legend in wrestling.

I'm not saying that WWE could put Koko B Ware or Kamala in the same spot and expect them to headline a PPV with a great buyrate, but Hogan is always pushed to the top and is always in the big feud. The rest of these guys are lucky to go 3:00 on Heat without jobbing.

Again though, it's WWE and Hogan who should get the credit for making the character of Hulk Hogan out to be wrestling's superhero. Everyone else is booked pretty poorly 90% of the time to be nothing more than a parody of their former self, when Hogan is doing his usual routine and getting a great reaction.

I see what your saying Russ, but regardless of how he is built up and so on, he still makes sure, personally, that he arrives looking like a star, in great shape and ready to perform. Koko, Vader and so many more turn up looking like crap.

Even when Hogan was showing up to do dark matches a few months ago, no TV on him, he still turned up in great shape, like a professional should. The vast majority of these other 'legends' turn up looking like crap, no pride, they dont care how they look or how bad their performance is, its sad.

And honestly, even if 99% of these other guys were booked like Hogan has been, in the main event and so on, I highly doubt they could go for 15-20 minutes, hang with guys like HBK and Kurt Angle, because they simply do not bother to keep themselves in good shape, they have no wind, they are just horrible once they leave.

I agree with Belty on this.

There has to be a REASON for Hogan to do the JOB - he was given the World Title by Vince because he was riding on his return.

Within the last few years, he has jobbed to quite a few main eventers, although his not-jobbing to HBK was a bit of a shock - I really expected Shawn to go over since he's the current guy at main event level, so that made no real sense.

Apart from that, he does get HUGE pops when he returns, and for good reason - he is the biggest name in wrestling, period!

Hogan is in the best shape out of all of the Legends who we have seen recently, and the WWE should use him for what it can - pops and possible ratings.

In 2002/2003, Hogan jobbed to Rock (twice), Big Show, Angle, Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, HHH...I wouldnt say he doesnt put people over, he just wont put people over if he doesnt think there is a point to it. If you job out Hulk Hogan, you kill his gimmick and then he is worthless, plus, if everybody is beating him, what is a win over Hulk Hogan worth anymore?

Just a thought...

I forgot about that.

I still stand by my Warrior thought, he won every mania main event except that one for nine years yet he couldnt even let it go.

yeah but then again look at it like this. in 2002/2003 most of the list you said he helped put over was already establish stars in there own right. The only one who wasnt a superstar as say was lesnar. However I think that he should only come back to make a promo or so. Not wrestle full time' date=' there are alot more charmasic wrestlers in the WWE which should have been put on TV time or even a match.[/quote']Makes no difference if they were established stars or not, Hogan still laid down 1-2-3. He also gave the rub to guys like Edge, Christian and Lance Storm...yet he gets bashed all the time. In the same breath, Austin is loved by fans yet he walks out even more than Hogan does when he doesnt get his own way (and when Hogan walks, he at least does the job first), he also refused to put the Rock or Jarrett over, or even work with Billy Gunn. Hogan worked with everybody when he was in his prime, on his awesome run back in the day.

Fact is, Hogan gets crapped on by people who dont like him BECAUSE they dont like him, not for any other reason, they just use anything they can think of to use to bash him regardless of whether other people do the same or worse, they just do it because they dislike the Hulkster. Thats fair enough, of course. If you hate him or whatever, thats 100% your choice and your opinion is as valid as the next person, but people need to be more honest when they crap on him and admit alot of the time they do it because they simply dislike him and are frustrated that he is super over and can still play the part of the main event superhero even though he is 51 and they hate him...

It could be that they stop using roids when they leave' date=' and don't live their WWF character 24/7, when they leave either.[/quote']Come on man, just give the guy credit. Hogan probably gasses up when he comes back, but the guy is in awesome shape without roids, roids just make him a little bigger, in 1993 when he was off the gas he still looked in great shape, just smaller built. Your making out Hogan is only in good shape because of steroids, thats stupid. He is 51 years old and works out every single day to stay looking the way he does, these other guys dont bother, they turn into fat lazy gits.

and Hogan lives his gimmick 24/7? How so? Because he likes to stay in shape? These other guys, all of them, still work the indies, so THEY live their gimmick 24/7. Hogan doesnt work indies, when he is at home (which is most of the time) he is Terry Bollea, so your wrong on that one, no doubt about it. But like I said, these other guys are still playing their gimmicks to make money on the indies...the difference is, they have no pride, Hogan does. He has pride to stay in shape and give what he can in his performances, unlike these other lazy slobs.

He deserves a ton of credit for that, like him or hate him.

Also, another thought, why is it, when they bring these guys back, they wear their indy show attire? Not always, but a ton of them do. They never wear the attire people remember them for wearing. Duggan had some grotty looking shorts on, Koko has a black body stocking or some weird ****, Superfly had a Fred Flintstone gimmick going on (although I noticed it was to hide his blue gurdle he had on, lol). And where was Goldusts robe?

I assume they all end up selling their gear on eBay when they are broke after they leave WWE :roll:

Makes no difference if they were established stars or not' date=' Hogan still laid down 1-2-3. He also gave the rub to guys like Edge, Christian and [i']Lance Storm[/i].

There was one thing which i really disliked about the WWE and there fans, Remember when Lance Storm was cutting a promo (i think it was one a raw when Austin was the Co GM or just before it) and then he got the Fans to chant "boring" during his matches. I think thats when the WWE lost all credabitly for me cause when Lance was back in ECW he was one of the best Technical wrestlers and he had a brilliant push back in the WCW before it when under. However all they did with lance was put him in a stupid anit American angle (which lets face it has been done almost every time america or the world is in problems).

I'll give hogan his due atlease he never did that to another guy, resulting in killin someones momention

I'm just saying Hogan thinks he is Hulk Hogan, if you look at the Hogan knows best show, you'll see that his family have even changed their last nameto Hogan too, it's a bit strange thats all. I'm not blaming him at all he can make money by being "Hogan" all the time and he has for sure, I just think it's not fair everyone laughing at Vader because he's just a normal man now, Vader is an architect and a property developer who got a call to come in to work a few shows, for god knows what reason at all, I can't see the point. Yeh he's out of shape, but he's not a wrestler anymore, and I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you that. For God sake Viscera is twice as fat and out of shape as Vader is, but his flab is hidden under all his fatman clothes!

Ok come on Beltmark we get the message you like Hogan why wouldn't you theres alot to like about the guy

You made an argument of comparing him to the other legends who came back but the difference between him and the other legends is this

Take Koko B Ware - He comes back wrestles on heat and loses to Conway

Vader and goldust - My guess is they'll both be destroyed by Batista tonight thus making a current change look good

Where as Hogan

Comes back beats up all the young guys who are being pushed then disappears for a year while ruining any push the guy he was facing was enjoying

Hulk Hogan is the biggest legend of them all as far as wwe goes but he's had his time in the limelight and if wwe want to be the force they once were they need to build new stars like they did in the attitude era with The Rock, stone Cold Triple H and so on.

The last thing they need to do is bring the old guys back didn't they make fun of WCW when they had Macho man and Hogan main eventing

Basically summing up theres a place for legends in wwe but thats elevating the current talent

WWE have to think of the future and stop dwelling on the past

I dont mind Hogan coming back once in a while, but he's back every couple of months to squash mid-carders and stop rising stars momentum.

He also takes up so much time with his posing routine and I think many are tired of his 'brother, brother, brother' repetitive mic work.

The reality is that people cheer because of what happened 20 years ago, thats in no way a reflection of how he is now.

Hogan is ok... but i would rather he doesn't turn up for a while.. it gets boring

you mentioned all the legends that WWE has brought in.. i agree that they are all in shite shape.. but i think Piper and Orton (bob jr) are doing well performance wise.. they can still work better than most of the WWE

I'm just saying Hogan thinks he is Hulk Hogan' date=' if you look at the Hogan knows best show, you'll see that his family have even changed their last nameto Hogan too, it's a bit strange thats all.[/quote']You dont actually think they changed their names to Hogan, do you?! They are only using that in the show because calling it Bollea Knows Best wouldnt work, most people wouldnt know who Bollea is! Trust me, they havent changed their names.

I'm not blaming him at all he can make money by being "Hogan" all the time and he has for sure' date=' I just think it's not fair everyone laughing at Vader because he's just a normal man now, Vader is an architect and a property developer who got a call to come in to work a few shows, for god knows what reason at all, I can't see the point. Yeh he's out of shape, but he's not a wrestler anymore, and I'm sure he'll be the first to tell you that. For God sake Viscera is twice as fat and out of shape as Vader is, but his flab is hidden under all his fatman clothes![/quote']ok so take Vader out of the fold, what about Koko B Ware? He works full time in Memphis, whats his excuse? What about EVERY OTHER LEGEND who has shown up barring maybe Duggan, they are all out of shape and look terrible, yet all work more often than Hulk Hogan does.

As for Viscera, yes, he is bigger than Vader, but last time I checked, he didnt have problems standing up, and wasnt seen falling all over the place every time he moved.

Ok come on Beltmark we get the message you like Hogan why wouldn't you theres alot to like about the guy

You made an argument of comparing him to the other legends who came back but the difference between him and the other legends is this

Take Koko B Ware - He comes back wrestles on heat and loses to Conway

Vader and goldust - My guess is they'll both be destroyed by Batista tonight thus making a current change look good

Where as Hogan

Comes back beats up all the young guys who are being pushed then disappears for a year while ruining any push the guy he was facing was enjoying

Hulk Hogan is the biggest legend of them all as far as wwe goes but he's had his time in the limelight and if wwe want to be the force they once were they need to build new stars like they did in the attitude era with The Rock, stone Cold Triple H and so on.

The last thing they need to do is bring the old guys back didn't they make fun of WCW when they had Macho man and Hogan main eventing

Basically summing up theres a place for legends in wwe but thats elevating the current talent

WWE have to think of the future and stop dwelling on the past

You have totally missed the point. It has ZERO to do with booking, I'm talking about what shape Hogan is in. Forget booking, forget how they are used, makes not a blind bit of difference to the point I'm making. That point is, at least when Hogan shows up, he makes an effort, yet still gets crapped on, whereas all these other guys (some of who are younger than Hogan) turn up in no shape to even work a squash, let alone anything else.

I dont mind Hogan coming back once in a while, but he's back every couple of months to squash mid-carders and stop rising stars momentum.

He also takes up so much time with his posing routine and I think many are tired of his 'brother, brother, brother' repetitive mic work.

The reality is that people cheer because of what happened 20 years ago, thats in no way a reflection of how he is now.

Some people are tired of his routine, but those people are mainly people who never liked it in the first place. The vast majority arent tired of it, as evidence by those deafening pops over and over again. And I disagree that people are only cheering for what he did 20 years ago. Sure, people cheer because of the career he has had OVER the past 20 years (not just 20 years ago and nothing since) but people like seeing him because he can still do his thing, and people still enjoy it, its light hearted fun, its a laugh, its not anything that makes you think "WTF are WWE doing with this guy!"

Its simple and its fun.

Firstly, Hogan doesn't do it for the WWE fans (being in shape i mean), but he does it for himself, and secondly, some do look crap yeah, but i would say Ric Flair don't look brilliant, and Goldust looked good last night, a little bigger but he looks like he is gonna get a big push for tonight, only by what was happening with him and batista on raw, i know he got spnebustered eventually but it took him a long time. Which also brings me to another question, I know Vader is on a legends contract, but is Goldust on a legends contract or would he be back for good because of his father?

Hogan isnt my taste' date=' but the guy does deserve what he gets. i just wish he knew when he should be jobbing now. Sorry, but HBK should have had that win.[/quote']I disagree. A loss to either man didnt hurt, and WWE wanted to send fans home happy with that retro feel-good Hulkamania moment at SummerSlam, I believe. Plus, I dont consider HBK to be believable in beating Hogan, still, thats just my opinion, I respect yours.

Either way, neither guy would have been hurt by the loss, I'm glad Hogan won because he is my preference, I wouldnt have been bothered if he lost.

Firstly' date=' Hogan doesn't do it for the WWE fans (being in shape i mean), but he does it for himself, and secondly, some do look crap yeah, but i would say Ric Flair don't look brilliant, and Goldust looked good last night, a little bigger but he looks like he is gonna get a big push for tonight, only by what was happening with him and batista on raw, i know he got spnebustered eventually but it took him a long time. Which also brings me to another question, I know Vader is on a legends contract, but is Goldust on a legends contract or would he be back for good because of his father?[/quote']Of course he does it for himself, he takes pride in his appearance and wants to be sure that he can go when the time calls for it unlike the vast majority of these other lazy gits.

Goldust gearing up for a big push? I doubt it.