Art

Popsi

Thought id bring a little bit of class to TWO and ask you all about arty farty stuff. So who are your favourite artists? Are they painters? Sculpters? Photographers? A mixture of all? And what are your favourite pieces?

Personally i like artists such as Kandinsky, and Pollock, both of whom are absract painters. Basically the drizzled paint on to canvas a lot of the time to see what came out! But really its a lot more than that, and i love trying to decipher what each painting is meant to be. I also love Warhols stuff, particularly the repetition work he did of famous faces, and of course his Campbell soup series. Hoppers Nighthawk painting is fantastic too but i generally love his method of introspection he gets into his art - all his stuff feels ever bleak and lonely. Also a mention to Monet, as his stuff was the art that really started off my interest in the subject. It was amazing to see it when i went to the Museum of Modern Art in New York, as well as seeing some Picasso, and Van Gogh. I didnt like the modern art exhibition that was on at the time however, it made me feel physically ill. I like abstract but im not a fan really of modern art in the Tracey Emin style.

A few samples for those who don't know the artists:

Hoppers Nighthawks:

http://www.danielchampion.com/archives/Edward%20Hopper's%20Nighthawks%201942.jpg

Kandinsky

http://www.historyguide.org/images/kandinsky.jpg

Pollock

http://www.rpi.edu/~turcoj/Timeline/Art%20History/1950%20-%20Number%2032%20Pollock.jpg

To me, personally, that **** above isnt art. Takes no talent to make a mess on some paper. The bottom one looks like he was about to draw something, and his fountain pen split and ink went all over his clean canvas.

I cant name many artists that I think are very good, because alot of what is classed as art today doesnt take any talent, I could do better. But, even if I did, I wouldnt make any money, because it seems only lucky people can make a mess and be considered artists.

So what to you is art? Is it still life? Portraits? Does that mean that any abstract isnt art? Does it include Picasso, considered one of the great artists of all time who didnt paint what was considered to be art as he had invented a genre known as Cubism.

Pollocks art as you desribed as **** isn't necessarily about what you see on the canvas, as much as its about the process of making it. The way he painted, in great action, and his attention to mixing the paint, scratching the paint, and smudging are what are important.

What is your definition of art? Art can be anything, yup even a dripping tap or David Beckham asleep. Just because you don't like it doesnt mean its not art, and despite what you may think, Pollocks work can never be painted again in the same way, you can try but you won't be able to match it.

To me, personally, that **** above isnt art. Takes no talent to make a mess on some paper. The bottom one looks like he was about to draw something, and his fountain pen split and ink went all over his clean canvas.

I cant name many artists that I think are very good, because alot of what is classed as art today doesnt take any talent, I could do better. But, even if I did, I wouldnt make any money, because it seems only lucky people can make a mess and be considered artists.

Man, you took the words right out of my mouth.

Whatever happened to actual drawings of people and scenery? And why isn't that art anymore?

I genuinely dont understand the attitude that only paintings of people and scenary can be art? Does that mean photographs cant be art? Or Sculptures? The greats of the art world like Monet, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Michelangeo et al will never be forgotten, but that doesnt mean that Van Gogh's sunflowers are the be all and end all of art. It moves on, it moved through cubism, through pop art, through action painting to where it is now. Its all phases, but just because its not a portrait of someone, doesnt mean its not art.

Here's the only two pieces of art I've acctually got scanned in,I did these when I was about 14/15 for my GCSE art coursework.

I've got lots more recent stuff but I dont have a scanner and i think most of it is rotting in the loft heh.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Amywoo/Carolynsketchalbumcover.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/Amywoo/cazsketch.jpg

So what to you is art? Is it still life? Portraits? Does that mean that any abstract isnt art? Does it include Picasso' date=' considered one of the great artists of all time who didnt paint what was considered to be art as he had invented a genre known as Cubism.[/quote']Art, to me, is when a painter will paint portraits and still life, sure. Scenes. Stuff that actually takes a great deal of natural, God given talent. Not something a 3 year old can do on the dinnertable when it pukes up and rubs his hands in it, lol.

Hell, I know it sounds corny, but even Rolf Harris is a better artist that a guy like Picasso, at least in the sense of having talent. I mean, look at Picasso's work, its shockingly crap.

Pollocks art as you desribed as **** isn't necessarily about what you see on the canvas' date=' as much as its about the process of making it. The way he painted, in great action, and his attention to mixing the paint, scratching the paint, and smudging are what are important.[/quote']I dont think how he painted it is important, and I really honestly dont think it makes sense if thats what people think. I mean, I dont care how he painted it, I only care how it looks hanging on my wall. Anybody can mix, scratch and smudge paint. To do what he did, is easy. It takes zero talent, none whatsoever. I could draw that same thing in MS paint right now, and if I showed it to somebody they would laugh, yet this probably made a ton of cash from it, its totally rediculous.

What is your definition of art? Art can be anything' date=' yup even a dripping tap or David Beckham asleep. Just because you don't like it doesnt mean its not art, and despite what you may think, Pollocks work can never be painted again in the same way, you can try but you won't be able to match it.[/quote']Sure, anything can be described as art, but that doesnt make it actual art, and it certainly doesnt make it good.

Look, this thing below I just did in paintshop would be worth tons and classed as an "amazing expression of inner beauty" or some such similar nonsense, if painted by a name artist. But I did it, and if people saw it, they would see it for what it really is...a red dot on a white backing. And one that took no talent to do, no-less.

http://gallery.beltmarks.com/albums/userpics/10004/normal_Art1.JPG

A dripping tap isnt art, its annoying, and David Beckham asleep is a man making thousands of pounds for every second he snores, thats not art, thats insanity.

As for me recreating that other painting, I couldnt exactly, but then, I'm not a photocopier, he couldnt recreate it exactly either. I could do something in the same identical style though, no problem at all, yet mine would be laughed at for being shite, because lets be honest, if a well known 'artist' does it, its great, if Joe-public does the same, its classed as exactly what it is which is usually rubbish.

I genuinely dont understand the attitude that only paintings of people and scenary can be art? Does that mean photographs cant be art? Or Sculptures? The greats of the art world like Monet' date=' Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Michelangeo et al will never be forgotten, but that doesnt mean that Van Gogh's sunflowers are the be all and end all of art. It moves on, it moved through cubism, through pop art, through action painting to where it is now. Its all phases, but just because its not a portrait of someone, doesnt mean its not art.[/quote']No I agree, 100%. Just because its not a portrait and so on doesnt mean its not art, your right...that being said, just because its classed as art, doesnt mean its good and doesnt mean it took talent to do it.

For me I love the art that can be seen in graphic novels and comics...

So real and vivid that it touches everypart of you...

As for art in mueseums? Nah, the day a sliced cow won the Turner prize was the day it died...

I remember looking at the works of Turner, Bosch, Van Gogh and Monet and being breathless... Now I see crap.

Well how about the fact that Polock painted for many many years until he stumbled onto the fact that the way be could best express himself was via those types of paintings. It was only then that anybody gave a damn about him.

And are you kidding me about Picasso? Seriously, the man invented a new way of painting, and changed the art world as it was ever known. Im sorry but even if you don't appreciate abstract art, how on earth can you say that his work is shockingly crap. He does exactly what you ask for, the majority of his paintings are self portraits that he painted with his own God-given talent, you obviously have no idea what Picasso is if you think its just a bunch of mess.

So basically to you if its not some crappy scene of a countryside which has been seen a million times before its not art, correct? Wheres the passion in that, isnt that what arts about? Challenging whats been seen before, or do we all need to regress back 200 years and stay there? The entire point of art is its an expression of something, be that emotion or whatever. Picassos way of expressing what he felt was by painting himself from angles we'd never seen before.

And the point about copying Pollocks work is just that - no-one can possbily copy it, even himself. Every single one is unique, and means something different each time. We all find different meanings in art, and i find it hard to understand how your mind can be so concrete at shutting out new things. I wouldnt go so far as to call you a philistine, but surely you must understand that just because its not a stil life, or a portrait doesnt mean its not art!

EDIT: i wrote this reply before i say Beltmarks earlier one.

Edited by Popsi

Sure a lot of modern art IS crap, and some of it is mind bogglingly bad, but its still art. The term is as fill said completely subjective, i just resent the implication that because its not what used to be the norm its not art.

And as EG said things by Van Gogh, Bosch etc have spun my mind out, but so has seeing works by Pollock and Kandinsky.

http://gallery.beltmarks.com/albums/userpics/10004/normal_Art1.JPG

I'll give you 50 quid.

One of my favourite artists I based my A-Level on, his name is Jean Michel Basquiat and painted a lot of large scale abstract pieces.

I'll give you some examples...

I did my own version of this piece, but using pastels and chalk.

http://www.art-meets-art.net/art/basquiat-media/basquiat-jean-michel-mona.jpg

His "skull"

http://www.broadartfoundation.org/images/artwork/basquiat_skull_lg.jpg

And here he is with Andy Worhol

http://www.netsonic.fi/~linkuk12/basquiat.jpg

I ended up painting an A1 size self portrait in a similar style, which i now have on my bedroom wall. I love it because even though it's A1, I painted it in about 20 minutes. It's really rushed, but the effect I got I think really worked. The paint is thick, and the colours all blend together. The amount of colours I used on it, makes it look fantastic.

After all this, I got a damn C in my art.

:(