Command and Conquer

Evil Gringo

Thanks to my boredom at being fired and my Mamacita having to work out of range all week I have turned back to my old classics in the gaming collection to provide me some entertainment...

These being of course Command and Conquer Tiberean Sun, Red Alert 2 and Generals...

So my questions are to TWO... Do you have any fond memories of these games, still play them online (and therefore want to challenge the might of the Gringo) and also...

I heard there is a new Red Alert game coming out via EA/Westwood... can anyone shed any light on this?

C&C The generals got me and my housemates through our last year at uni. Network games almost nightly were a great way to wind down before bed. Zero Hour is even better, more weapons and better AI.

I hope they are are bringing out a new follow up on what was a great game. Haven't played it in months now

As far as I'm concerned you can't beat the GLA on that game. They have the best units when used in balanced groups, they have the best Super Weapon for me as well and it also helps give you an insight into the terrorist mind set as well...

I actually felt a pang of guilt when I rammed a car with a hi-jacker in it right into a US barracks... But at the same time laughed as well...

Great game for that alone.

As for Red Alert 2? Kirov Airships rule... Get 5 of those and set them on a base in multi player. Take out the flak first if playing a Soviet equiped side or the power plants if an Allied and then go for the Construction Yard and your home free...

But after trying my hardest with Tib Sun I have given up... It is offically the hardest game ever... Besides Commando's II and III

As far as I'm concerned you can't beat the GLA on that game. They have the best units when used in balanced groups, they have the best Super Weapon for me as well and it also helps give you an insight into the terrorist mind set as well...

I actually felt a pang of guilt when I rammed a car with a hi-jacker in it right into a US barracks... But at the same time laughed as well...

Great game for that alone.

As for Red Alert 2? Kirov Airships rule... Get 5 of those and set them on a base in multi player. Take out the flak first if playing a Soviet equiped side or the power plants if an Allied and then go for the Construction Yard and your home free...

But after trying my hardest with Tib Sun I have given up... It is offically the hardest game ever... Besides Commando's II and III

GLA are very good...you can win a whole game with 2 angry mobs if you give them ak47s.

I used to play the GLA but once you get zero hour options changed. I became converted to the USA Laser General because the defence was so good. You could string up a line of Lasers and the more there are the better their range so nothing could come near you.

Its like a big bloke fighting a midget and keeping him at arms length!

Ah but what are the offensive weapon options like?

I don't have Zero Hour you see... Only bog standard Generals.

The thing that seems to be the case with everyone here though is that apart from the Nuke's and of course the Battlemaster tank China suck.

Their flame tanks harm their own infantry and are stuipidly weakly armoured. Also the Gattling Tank isn't as good as the GLA Quad Cannon.

Zero Hour is like Generals on Speed.

You have the standard US, Chinese and GLA generals then 3 different types of general per country as well each with individualised weaponary

US Superweapon General

US Laser General

US Airforce General

Chinese Tank General

Chinese Infantary General

Chinese Nuke General

GLA Toxin General

GLA Stealth General

GLA Demolition General

Ah but what are the offensive weapon options like?

I don't have Zero Hour you see... Only bog standard Generals.

The thing that seems to be the case with everyone here though is that apart from the Nuke's and of course the Battlemaster tank China suck.

Their flame tanks harm their own infantry and are stuipidly weakly armoured. Also the Gattling Tank isn't as good as the GLA Quad Cannon.

Them fire tanks coupled with black napalm pwn. Same for MIGs and black napalm

I tend to find that MIG's aren't as good as a combination of the Auroa and F-117 bombers that the US can deploy...

Only time I would use the Flame tanks or the MIG's would be for clearing garrisoned buildings and bunkers...

Other then that the US has better air power and the GLA better anti-infantry weapons. Only the Battlemaster and the Nuke's save the Chinese from horrid sucking.

I have to say that I never played C & C online. I was a huge fan og the original C & C but I only ever played it on Sega Saturn, I also only ever played Red Alert on Playstation.

I love C & C games though & I have decided to revisit them so which one would be the best to get?

Oh & Evil Gringo when I do get one I challenge you to a duel.

I'd get General's and as people have been saying Zero Hour... You can get them together in Game and GameStation for £15 now.

Apart from them I'd say Red Alert 2...

And as for a duel? If you wanna take on someone who can complete all three campaigns in Generals in a day and the Soviet Campaign on RA2 in 4 hours then bring it on....

Did I forget to mention.... I'm awesome...

I was an expert on C & C original & Red Alert I could complete both those games blindfolded.

Now that I think about it I think I may have one of the C & C games on PC, I have never played it online if so but I think I might have one laying around must check.

If not the Generals / Zero Hour one sounds good to me.

I just hope i'm not rusty it's being about 5 years.

Ahh dear me. Here is a guy who cant play ra2 proper.

Ahh dear me. Here is a guy who cant play ra2 proper.

How so, what is wrong with my strategy?

Build a good number of harvesters and then a stout defense of Flak troopers and Telsa Coils and tanks and troopers...

Build an Iron Curtain to protect the construction yard and the Battle Lab and crank out the Kirov's....

Then as an added touch build a Nuke and kill the suckers with death from above...

What it wrong with this?

I was pretty good at the original C&C and Red Alert(as well as the add on`s).Me and my friend are the only two peope from my area who actually linked our playstatrions together , and played each other at my friends house at Red Alert.Ah the memories! Edited by GENE

Gotta say that the fleet of inexpensive GLA workers can get money like mad for them and also a few Black Markets often repay themshelves... Espically when you get the upgrades they provide...

Plus they might not have an air force but they make up for that by having fantastic artillery options in the Rocket Buggy and SCUD launcher and also the anti-air measures they can deploy....

I still say that unless someone was a magnificent general with China he'd get his ass handed to him by a GLA general on-line or in a network game everytime.