Up the Mariners

MADDOGCJM

Just typing comiserations to any Magpie fans ahead of tonight' date=' hope you go the same way Spurs do.[/quote']

As a Gloucester born lad living in Grimsby via Scunny I'd love Grimsby to hammer Newcastle, but on the other hand if Grimsby get anhialated I'm going to laugh my little pert arse off

Smack in the mouth, a blatant attempt to cause physical damage more like by throwing his arm across Shearer's face. He may be no angel but he doesn't deserve that treatment.

As Shearer said after the game, he can take a kick or two, that's how he's always played but for someone to have done him like that is unacceptable

Shearer elbowed Whittle in the face moments earlier. He did it cleverly, but he does it all the time.

He couldn't stand being roughed up a bit.

The money he is on a player like Whittle shouldn't get close to him.

He did deserve it.

Don't give it out if you cannot accept a receipt.

Note the way Whittle did not charge after the ref after he was elbowed, he got on with it. So should Shearer. Take it for what it is.

Whittle wouldn't be intimidated by Shearer, thats why Shearer is mardy.

He didn't throw a proper elbow' date=' there is a difference between normally jumping for a ball leverage which is part and parcel and actually lashing an arm intentionally across a guy's face[/quote']

Yeah Shearer leads with his elbow a little a bit sometimes but this guy swung at him there a big difference

I can't believe a free kick wasn't even given the ref was right beside it when it happened

There is a massive difference between deliberate and accidental elbowing. What Shearer did was a means of creating leverage that you see every week in the premiership and every other level of football. What Whittle did was maliciously and intentionally done to get revenge on a player he thought had intentionally elbowed him. He should be punished via the FA's video rep team for violent conduct and unsporting behaviour.

Whittle's was very obviously not an accident. Have you seen the clip James? I'm a casual Liverpool fan, I don't have any fondness for Shearer, but last night that Whittle guy repulsed me. In fact the only time I have been more repulsed was when Everton were playing in the UEFA cup and someone went into the back off Arteta

Whittle's was very obviously not an accident. Have you seen the clip James? I'm a casual Liverpool fan' date=' I don't have any fondness for Shearer, but last night that Whittle guy repulsed me. In fact the only time I have been more repulsed was when Everton were playing in the UEFA cup and someone went into the back off Arteta[/quote']

I couldnt see any intent I think everyones gone overboard on this one.

Does anyone have a clip of what actually happened cos ive not seen it and want to see what the fuss is all about.

What bugged the hell outta me was during the Chelsea game when Terry deliberately knocked over the goalie after he'd saved a shot on goal. It was violent conduct and he shouldve been sent off for it, he had no need to bash him over like that. Its bad sportsmanship.

Whittle: Nothing To Apologise For

Fri 28 Oct, 12:09 PM

Grimsby defender Justin Whittle has hit back at Alan Shearer over their bad-tempered tussle during Wednesday night's Carling Cup clash at Blundell Park.

Shearer required three stitches in a lip wound following a first-half challenge from Whittle which left the Newcastle striker furious.

He admitted he had to restrain himself from retaliating to Whittle's blow, which saw the Mariners defender catch Shearer in the face with his arm.

However, Whittle insists he did not set out to intentionally hurt the former England skipper and accused Shearer of not being able to take what he himself dishes out.

Whittle told The Sun: "There was nothing deliberate in what I did. I have nothing to apologise for and my track record backs me up.

"We both jumped for the ball. I went with my arms up and caught him in the face and he's moaned his head off at the referee - he wasn't happy about it.

"Shearer spent the whole of the game trying to wind me up. As you can see from TV Shearer got me early in the match. I just turned around and got on with it.

"Tough battles are part of the game. It's my job to defend and I thought I did well against him."

Grimsby have also defended Whittle, with a statement from the League Two side reading: "We feel that there was no deliberate intent on behalf of Justin to catch Alan with his arm.

"The referee on the evening was very close to the incident and no action was taken. We hope that this does not overshadow what was a pulsating cup-tie between Grimsby Town and Newcastle United."

For his part, Shearer has attempted to heal the rift with Whittle by declaring he does not want the defender to face any belated disciplinary action.

He said: "I'm still angry about the incident but I'm not really bothered if anyone wants to have a look at it again.

"What good would that be to me or Newcastle United? To be honest, I hope nothing happens because I'm not like that. I don't like to see that going on." quote

Taken from yahoo