*** Official Smackdown Discussion Thread - 28th October 2005 ***

MrFill

Preview:

Last week the United States Championship changed hands. Will this be the week that L.O.D. is finally dethroned as WWE Tag Team Champions? The odds are not in Road Warrior Animal & Heidenreich’s favor as they will put their gold on the line in a Fatal Fourway Match against The Mexicools, MNM and William Regal & Paul Burchill. The last time these four teams were involved in a match, all hell broke lose as The Tolands dismantled The Mexicools. Will The Mexicools’ luck change this week?

Plus, last week Cowboy Bob Orton, Jr. faked a back injury to get out of a tag team match with his son against World Heavyweight Champion Batista and Eddie Guerrero. This week there will be no excuses as Cowboy Bob teams up with Randy and Ken Kennedy to take on Batista, Guerrero and WWE Hall of Famer “Rowdy” Roddy Piper. Two weeks ago Piper picked up a win against the Ortons in a Handicap Match. Will the Ortons get revenge or will the “Hot Scot” stay one step ahead of his nemeses?

Also, Edge and “The Masterpiece” Chris Masters invaded Friday Night SmackDown last week. Will Rey Mysterio and the SmackDown troops strike back?

Credit: WWE.com

Spoilers are allowed in this thread.

Smackdown spoilers from San Francisco

by Dave Meltzer

Dave@wrestlingobserver.com

Results from tonight's tapings at the San Francisco Cow Palace

Dark match

Scotty 2 Hotty b Ken Doane using the worm. Doane didn't do anything special, but was on the money with everything.

Velocity

Kid Kash b Paul London after blocking a huracanrana and using a springboard moonsault. This was the best match of the night

Bobby Lashley b Jason ? after the dominator. Post-match, Big Vito & Nunzio attacked Lashley but he laid them both out as well. Nunzio did a great job of selling. Quick match

Sylvan b Funaki with a face first suplex. WWE is hiring models and putting them in the stands to take photos of Sylvan. They had two women at ringside, with identical cameras, jumping up and down like they thought he was hot. Both made it on TV. After the match, both went backstage. They were the only two women in the place who gave a crap about him. Based on numerous catcalls, it is very clear a lot of people in the crowd watched TNA and slow-mo'd one of the segments.

Jillian Hall b Stacy Keibler with her feet on the ropes. Hall wears a Vader mask covering her supposed mole (which would fall off her face in a match so they have to cover and pretend it's there). Very amateurish, largely because of Keibler

Smackdown

It opened with the Peep show, where Mysterio, Hardy, Holly and JBL all came out to campaign for votes for the Taboo Tuesday match. Hardy actually got the biggest pop of all, and it's clear they he wasn't the original plan of who they wanted in the match, but he may wind up being there. JBL had the best line, saying if Masters was any smarter, he'd be a moron. Teddy Long came out and ordered a five-way free-for-all

Mysterio won the five-way pinning Christian with a huracanrana. Crowd popped for a Tower of Doom spot. JBL clotheslined Holly. Hardy gave JBL the twist of fate. Christian gave Hardy the unprettier. Mysterio then pinned Christian. When it was over, Mysterio and Hardy were in the ring together asking for votes.

Backstage, Booker T & Sharmell were in Teddy Long's office. Long showed Booker the footage from his title win last week and Sharmell also interfering the previous week. Booker threw a fit at Sharmell, told her he would defend the title against Chris Benoit tonight and that Sharmell had to apologize to Benoit

Roddy Piper showed up. He was confronted by Bob Orton. Piper told Bob that he wrestled his father who was a tough guy, and a smart guy. He insinuated Bob wasn't so smart. He saw Randy and started talking about reverse evolution, and that he's surprised Randy isn't walking on all fours.

They did a backstage stint where the munchkins played a prank on Simon Dean

Next was a very clever bit of manipulation. Palmer Canon came out. Zero reaction to him. Nobody knows he's a heel. Most people didn't even know who he was. Then they played a big Undertaker video and Taker's music. When it was over and everyone was expecting Undertaker, they turned the cameras on Canon and people booed because Undertaker wasn't there. On TV, it'll come across like Canon is this big over heel. He then put over the juniors division

Short Sleeve Sampson b a blond little guy who looked like Billy Idol. Even though one guy is from New England and the other is from Seattle, they came out to Mexican music, as I guess the idea was using Mexican minis. A guy who looked like Pierrothtito was in the skit earlier in the show. The Billy Idol mini was called something Patterson, like maybe Little Patterson. If this was a joke, the p.a. was so bad that in the one arena in the country where they'd get the joke, nobody understood it. To say this died would be giving it more credit than it's due. There were screams of "This is why Smackdown sucks so bad" going on in between the lack of any crowd reaction to 40 year old comedy bits. Sampson won. Nick Patrick was given a low blow. Simon Dean came out and did some comedy fighting with both little guys. Just hideous attempts at comedy that nobody laughed at, which actually describes about 80% of the humor in WWE.

Booker called out Benoit. He told Benoit that he apologized and was offering him a return match. Benoit's ribs were all wrapped up from the insane tope last week. Benoit accepted the match but didn't care if Booker or Sharmell apologized. Booker told Benoit that he figured that, but Sharmell still had to apologize. Sharmell was totally insincere and she and Booker had a big fight. She ripped on Booker and left. As Benoit was watching her leave, Booker went heel and nailed Benoit with a belt shot and he juiced and was left laying.

MNM won the tag titles in a four-way over LOD, Mexicools and Regal & Birchall. Super Crazy worked most of the match and carried it. Christy Hemme is no longer with LOD, but Juventud still has to act like a valet outside the ring for the Mexicools while holding the useless belt. Heidenreich hot tagged in and you can imagine how bad that was. They set up the doomsday device, but the Tolands pulled Animal off the top and brawled with him. Inside the ring, MNM gave Heidenreich the snapshot and Mercury pinned him to win the title.

They announced Lashley vs. Vito & Nunzio in a handicap match next week. Vito & Nunzio also wanted a tag title match

Batista & Guerrero & Piper b Ortons & Kennedy. Guerrero is full-time face and the low rider ring entrance is back. Piper clearly was given no lead time to get in shape. Batista gave Kennedy and Randy spinebusters. Guerrero gave Kennedy a frog splash. With them laid out, Piper put Bob in the sleeper for the win. Piper was the most popular wrestler on the show.

There you go

Short Sleeve Sampson b a blond little guy who looked like Billy Idol. Even though one guy is from New England and the other is from Seattle, they came out to Mexican music, as I guess the idea was using Mexican minis. A guy who looked like Pierrothtito was in the skit earlier in the show. The Billy Idol mini was called something Patterson, like maybe Little Patterson. If this was a joke, the p.a. was so bad that in the one arena in the country where they'd get the joke, nobody understood it. To say this died would be giving it more credit than it's due. There were screams of "This is why Smackdown sucks so bad" going on in between the lack of any crowd reaction to 40 year old comedy bits. Sampson won. Nick Patrick was given a low blow. Simon Dean came out and did some comedy fighting with both little guys. Just hideous attempts at comedy that nobody laughed at, which actually describes about 80% of the humor in WWE.

Ah, the Meltz sure has his hand on the pulse, maybe WWE should go back to wrestling for a while and see what happens?

Looks like I was wrong about the Junior division. Instead of using talented Mexican workers like Mascarita Sagrada or SUPER PORKY~! to put on an enjoyable match, they instead delivered a "comedy" segment with two American midgets. Just an awful decision.

It's good to see a proper tag team like MNM back with the belts, but what's left for them to do? A feud with The Mexicools? That's about all they can put together really without repeating the same Animal/Heidenreich feud.

Strange to see Eddie as a complete face, as with JBL going the same way judging by his appearance on Raw, SD! is left with no top level heels. All the main stars that SD! have seen to be face. Batista, Undertaker, Eddie, Rey, Hardy, Benoit perhaps now JBL. Who's left for them all them all to feud with? Booker T. I have no idea what they plan to do, unless it's let them squash cruiserweights, which Vince seems to love doing so much.

It doesn't sound like a terrible, terrible show, but WWE is just so out of touch with their audience and putting on shows that mean nothing while TNA are making every show seem special.

JBL as aface - how?? impossible surely??? I'd like to see Kennedy get a push and also Orton is a top heel too!

BTW I'd likem to see Batista go heel next year sometime but at the minute he can't as he's so over with the fans as a face! MNM as tag champ no!!! boring!!!! I wanna see Mexicools or Burchill & Regal hold the belts - MNM are not that special!

EDIT: Learn to use the Edit button please.

JBL is only face-ish for the Smackdown side for Survivor Series. He'll re-heel after SS and feud with the guy that he feels costs Smackdown the victory

Don't say that too loudly, the WWE might actually notice and think it's a good idea.

Wait, but it IS a good idea. :P

Looking forward to see Piper, seems he is over as usual. The show overall seems a little here and there really, the usual good bits and bad bits, although I cannot give a fair comment until I see the show.

But if the WWE don't take care with SD they may lose alot of viewers, if WWE don't put out a decent product its only opening the doro more for TNA to gain more fans and viewers, and for TNA to eventually creep up into something like competion, WWE need to be careful.

How is Smackdown going to work next week? The show is being taped on Sunday to be shown on Friday, but Smackdown are participating at Taboo Tuesday.

That means there will probably be no mention whatsoever of the Raw Vs Smackdown match at Taboo Tuesday next week on Smackdown, which will look a bit silly.

How is Smackdown going to work next week? The show is being taped on Sunday to be shown on Friday, but Smackdown are participating at Taboo Tuesday.

That means there will probably be no mention whatsoever of the Raw Vs Smackdown match at Taboo Tuesday next week on Smackdown, which will look a bit silly.

They could film lots of segments with the various people who would be involved, saying "damn, we lost" or "hurrah, we won".

Then again, a backstage skit can be filmed after Tuesday, and edited into the show on Wednesday/Thursday.

What a good show that was. There was good entertainment from the Booker/Benoit segment, as well as a mark-out moment with the return of the low rider and face Eddie music (although not the video was still heel Eddie's), the 5-Way match was a good contest, especially the end, the 4 Corners match was good, and the main event was good.

Yes, the Juniors match was poor, and yes, the crowd hated it. But it's funny if you listen to the commentary from Cole and Tazz and say "NO WE'RE NOT" every time they say "the crowd are loving this".

And hey, another Boogeyman segment to make us laugh.

Better than last week's iMPACT!?

Yep.

I was really impressed with the 5-man match. It definately wasn't the cluster**** I thought it was going to be. great spots, well played out, tied together nicely.

Finally, booker fids out about Sharmell's shyte. I hope he drops her soon enough.

Mr Kennedy in the main event 2 weeks in a row is the best thing to happen to Smackdown.

MNM new Tag Champs = Good thing

MNM not fueding with Mexicools = Bad thing

Seriously, the Mexicools are over, and Crazy and Psicosis are both good workers. A fued with MNM could be fun.

The 5 man was great, especially the ending. But of course, Christian had to do the job......oh well, someone had to do it.

Eddie and Batista's ummm, rivalry seems to be going great. I can't wait until Eddie turns on him, and it will be great. (That is if Eddie turns on him) Still, good 6 man, with one problem: Why in the name of all that is Orndorff did Piper take his shirt off!!?

Booker T and Sharmell....why?

Oh, and the Junior Division is just, well, it's just there. I don't mind it, as it made my little brother (who has been sick all week) very happy, as he was laughing the whole way through, so, it's ok by me. (and before any smartass says he was laughing AT it, no, he was laughing WITH it)

[sarcasm]One problem with Smackdown: Needs more McMahon. [/sarcasm]

I've been enjoying Smackdown! a lot in the past few weeks, lots of the times more so than RAW and i think it gets a, pardon the expression, raw deal from fans.

Don't get me wrong it's not an amazing show but in the past month or so they seem to get the mixture between wrestling and the other stuff, right.

They also seem to be consistent with who they are trying to give a push and it's easy to remember what's going on, who's feuding with who, who defeated who, etc.

I'm probably going to get pelted with bricks for that but what the hell. :D

Also i don't have to put up with all the endless adverts like when i watch RAW and people disapperaing like Shelton Benjamin along with Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch who are all superb but have got replaced with 6-diva tag-team rubbish and 3 matches a night. :roll

Onto this weeks show, as others have said, the 5 man free-for-all was superb and not what i expected. There was some great combinations and seemed well thought out.

I think most people could see the Booker T heel turn coming but it was still a decent segment.

The 4 team tag title match was good and the right team (MNM) got the belts.

By the way, i think Super Crazy should be re-named Super Over. :D I'm liking him anyway.

I'm really into William Regal and Paul Burchill as a tag team but it's way too early to stick the belts on them, in my opinon.

The juniors match was a waste of time and made a guy who i think has potential as a heel, Simon Dean, look like a fool. :roll

We saw The Boogeyman again . . .

The 6-man tag main event was okay but i think it's safe to say that 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper should wear a shirt next time he steps in the ring. :lol

A standard Smackdown! i think.

There you go

Just a quick note, thanks for posting the results from this weeks Smackdown! Christof but is there anyway you could mark Velocity results as spoilers, in the future?

I don't want to sound like an arse but of course it's all good seeing the Smackdown! results in this thread but i don't want Velocity spoiled by knowing the results. Maybe i am wrong and all spoilers are allowed in the Smackdown! thread but i thought it would only be SD! spoilers from this weeks show, if you understand.

Try not to shout at me if i am wrong. :D

pinmepayme.

Edited by pinmepayme